The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I’m just going to post my perfectly cooked butter basted filet mignon with chicken breast, avocado with sautéed broccoli and mushrooms. Very low carbs and maybe even gluten free? [emoji23]

Gluten, no. Cancer, diabetes and heart disease, yes.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 AM

I had my feelings swayed by this thread. The various arguments presented show that gluten intolerance is far more widespread then I imagined and that dismissing it is not only unscientific, but verges on cruelty. I emerged a changed person on my view of things. I want to thank everyone who argued their point to good effect. I now view this is a health issue and my science was out-dated.

Here is one interesting article from today ya'all might find interesting, referring to my earlier post on the hype about supplements. Redux@! Touche'!

https://theconversation.com/why-you-...onic%20disease
Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
After 9 pages I really have nothing to add other than this. My wife is gluten free has been for a couple of years. She suffers from lupus. and it helps her greatly to not eat gluten.

and

Luksusowa Polish Potato Vodka is gluten free.

Just in case you didn't know.
This is the most relevant post I've read. As I stated before, stop eating typical processed foods, both restaurant and store bought. Feel the results. I believe next to nothing the NIH or FDA have to say, and I've graduated med school, chiropractic school, and have a valid medical tech. license in Microbiology. If you trust your pill pushing MD's. (and I often do), ask yourself why by their own stats, they have positive outcomes less than 40% of the time.
Medicine is only big business, soon to be replaced by A.I.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-11-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Political commentary
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I was simply asking you to facilitate editing your posts so they do not have the wrong name as the author of a quote (which only makes a complex subject and discussion all the more confused and distracted ) I see from a following post you are not aware of the (Wrap [Quote] tags around selected text) feature . So in the interest of clarity (not competition) it is located in the tool section above the reply window > on the lower tier, it is the white square icon with black dots , that is the 5th from left . If you use that for quoting only parts of text then you can edit to have the format and quote attribution be correct ( note that if you hit the "Quote button at the bottom) and you then use the wrap quote feature you then need to delete the one of the double quote boxes and the quote box at the very bottom.

Which is how I edited for quoting your incorrect statement below
Quote:
and even though we have reached an agreement you still have to insist that it's all born of 'hype'.
Nowhere in any of my posts have I even suggested that it is "all born of hype" not once, not even remotely .

What I said is that hype is also involved within the total picture,( as you say you now understand) But the valid concerns is why from the get go, I have repeatedly stated there is valid health concerns as well as hype and fad ...

I suspect that your personal emotional 1st hand experience is causing you to seize upon the apparent trigger word "hype" in my statements and clouded your ability to objectively review the entire meaning in my posts. And why you keep misrepresenting what am saying, if you go back re read my posts with objectivity you will see this is the case

Quote:
For example, it's truly GREAT that when I go out for a meal with my daughter there's a gluten free menu that saves her trawling through the regular one (for what can feel like an eternity) because IF SHE EATS GLUTEN SHE BECOMES EXTREMELY ILL! But hey, NOW she has a choice - and not because of 'hype' - because there are entrepreneurs out there who cater for ALL of their customers (and good for them if they make a good living out of it!).
Completely agree there likely are Restaurant owners that understand and are catering to the validity of the health issues,,,,, but there are also likely owners that are simply cashing in on the fad aspect.. We have know way of knowing the actual individual motivation

Quote:
YES, there are processed food manufacturers who are milking it, but to suggest that the choice is purely a result of the hype is plain ignorant and utterly absurd. Choice was developed because an option was required and that's nothing more than basic *supply and demand*. And YES, these two can indeed, and often are conflated but that does not mean that the creation of more choice is exclusively the consequence of hype.
Once again please stop misrepresenting my statements we actually predominately agree

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-11-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: removal of members quote to KevWind
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=KevWind;5945111]I was simply asking you to facilitate editing your posts so they do not have the wrong name as the author of a quote (which only makes a complex subject and discussion all the more confused and distracted ) I see from a following post you are not aware of the (Wrap
Quote:
tags around selected text) feature . So in the interest of clarity (not competition) it is located in the tool section above the reply window > on the lower tier, it is the white square icon with black dots , that is the 5th from left . If you use that for quoting only parts of text then you can edit to have the format and quote attribution be correct ( note that if you hit the "Quote button at the bottom) and you then use the wrap quote feature you then need to delete the one of the double quote boxes and the quote box at the very bottom.

Which is how I edited for quoting your incorrect statement below
Nowhere in any of my posts have I even suggested that it is "all born of hype" not once, not even remotely .

What I said is that hype is also involved within the total picture,( as you say you now understand) But the valid concerns is why from the get go, I have repeatedly stated there is valid health concerns as well as hype and fad ...

I suspect that your personal emotional 1st hand experience is causing you to seize upon the apparent trigger word "hype" in my statements and clouded your ability to objectively review the entire meanings in my posting. And why you keep misrepresenting what am saying, if you go back re read my posts with objectivity you will see this is the case

Completely agree there likely are Restaurant owners that understand and are catering to the validity of the health issues,,,,, but there are also likely owners that are simply cashing in on the fad aspect.. We have know way of knowing the actual motivation

Once again please stop misrepresenting my statements we actually predominately agree
Thanks for this. Not for one minute was I referring to you mentioning the quote etc. I actually had no idea what you were referring to! And thanks for your help with this, genuinely appreciated.

And apologies for any misunderstandings, I have no desire whatsoever to engage in anything other than have a civil discussion etc. Clearly, I have stronger feelings than most (having a coeliac daughter) but I did get the impression that you were saying that the choice ONLY came from hype and I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. And yes, we do predominantly agree, and my current thoughts feel nicely balanced. It's been an interesting/educational thread for sure and, as others have said, thanks to all who contributed etc. (my faith in human nature has been somewhat boosted!). And I'll bet the OP didn't anticipate 11 pages!

And, for the record, I totally agree with the previous poster and am absolutely convinced that the cause of my daughter (and many more young girls) coeliac and polycistic ovaries has been the truly horrendous (and totally unjustified!) HPV 'vaccine', which was forced upon her when she was at school without our (her parents) consent - but that's a whole new conversation...

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-11-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: edit quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I had my feelings swayed by this thread. The various arguments presented show that gluten intolerance is far more widespread then I imagined and that dismissing it is not only unscientific, but verges on cruelty. I emerged a changed person on my view of things. I want to thank everyone who argued their point to good effect. I now view this is a health issue and my science was out-dated.

Here is one interesting article from today ya'all might find interesting, referring to my earlier post on the hype about supplements. Redux@! Touche'!

https://theconversation.com/why-you-...onic%20disease
Respect, and thanks for the link, which is really interesting. I just encouraged my daughter to buy a tonne of supplements (although it included like Olive Leaf extract, which is excellent) but am always willing to have a re-think...
Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
This is the most relevant post I've read....

...If you trust your pill pushing MD's. (and I often do), ask yourself why by their own stats, they have positive outcomes less than 40% of the time.
Medicine is only big business, soon to be replaced by A.I.
Thank You for saying so.

Aside from a gluten free diet, with the help of our general practitioner (a great guy, who i have been seeing for 38 years, imagine that, one doctor, 38 years) she was able to obtain a medical marijuana card. She tells me that it's the only thing that really helps the pain. She thanked me for suggesting it. She had never smoke weed until I got to try it a couple years ago to see if it helps. The prescribed drugs for lupus are the same ones used to treat malaria. It's ridiculous that there isn't a good protocol for treating it.

But medical MJ is a story for another thread.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Gluten, no. Cancer, diabetes and heart disease, yes.

Not if your body is in ketosis.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Stop that now ! There is no place for your insolence here .
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
That's right near Sandusky, isn't it?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Thanks for this Davis. As (bad) luck would have it, I failed to ask whether a dish that I normally tolerate - enjoy, in fact (carne adovada enchiladas) - had gluten in it, and I have had a miserable 24 hours since. Especially not fun since I have to catch a plane today, and need to be “aware” of nearby bathrooms at any time.

Enjoy your health while you have it!

Compassion to all - no exceptions.

George
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
That's right near Sandusky, isn't it?

Two blocks down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Stop that now ! There is no place for your insolence here .

I know...my apologies :P
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That’s what everyone wants to believe. The science very much says otherwise.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That’s what everyone wants to believe. The science very much says otherwise.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...etogenic-diets

The good and bad
https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-...sks-keto-diet/

Type 2 diabetes? Keto can help. Epilepsy? Yep that too. But like I said earlier, you have to be smart when on keto diet. If I eat steak every day then of course that much saturated fat won’t be good, especially if you don’t exercise. Also keto diet only works once your body is in ketosis. It can take two weeks of very low carb intake before your body starts to produce enough ketones to change your metabolic state.

I can put links and links that explain the benefits of the ketogenic diet..., from the popular rapid weight loss, to a more focused mind, more sustained energy, but this is about gluten free thread.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

All cause mortality increases on a paleo diet versus higher carb diets. The study references several diets that are meant to induce ketosis.

https://www.mdlinx.com/gastroenterology/article/2973

There are several recent similar findings. Yep, people lose weight on them in the short term, and realize the benefits of weight loss, such as initial lowering of many health markers. Over time it’s not the answer.

Not what people want to hear. Not what I want to hear, as I do love meat and seafood. But if you eat this way you significantly increase your chances of dying sooner. People can make whatever choices they want, but the facts are clear. Thinking its a healthy diet is simply incorrect.

More: https://link.medium.com/ptz6IKN7pT

Not really surprising. Eat real food. Mostly plants. Eschew fad diets. Pay attention to results, not theories.

Quote:
There will likely never be a prospective nutrition study comparing one dietary pattern to another that would track enough people long enough to reach over 100,000 deaths. Of importance, the meta-analysis included only prospective studies and selected only optimal studies. The message is clear. You might find it challenging to eat 5, 6, 7 or even more servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Maybe you find it particularly challenging to get children to do the same. This new study reminds us all of the importance of getting our daily quota of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes while avoiding eggs and meat products. Even one large egg a day showed an increase in all-cause mortality.
That and your brain runs on carbs.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 01-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic