The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post
I just put a set of Curt Mangan Roundcore Monel strings on my 00-18 and really like them - I had Martin Retros on it before that and had been happy enough with them but the CM Monels seem to have better balance and volume, to my ears at least, than the Retros did.

Never heard of that brand. May have to try them out in the future!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 AM

I second PackMule's post ... the Curt Mangan Round Core Monels sound really full, less chimey than the D'addario NBs (which I also like), almost no break in period, feel pretty good also. This is on a Taylor 322 12 fret, Mahogany top-Blackwood B/S.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post
I just put a set of Curt Mangan Roundcore Monel strings on my 00-18 and really like them - I had Martin Retros on it before that and had been happy enough with them but the CM Monels seem to have better balance and volume, to my ears at least, than the Retros did.
Interesting comment about the volume on the Curt Mangan Roundcore Monels, if, by "better," you mean more volume, since more volume is not a typical attribute of round core strings.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Interesting comment about the volume on the Curt Mangan Roundcore Monels, if, by "better," you mean more volume, since more volume is not a typical attribute of round core strings.
My experience of putting them on my guitar, as compared to the Martin Retros was that the CM round core monels had noticeably better volume. They're also fuller sounding so this is also a likely significant factor in the perception of "better volume" that I'm having, and as mentioned in a comment above, there was no break in time needed, as compared to the Retros, which took a few days of hard playing to settle in and sound their best. Your mileage may vary but that's what I'm hearing.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Any of you Retro lovers tried the Titaniums lately?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, bronze, guitar, nickel, strings