The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Default opinions on brazilian grammer guitar value

hi, iīve been offered a Grammer guitar for $1350. iīve only seen photos of it. itīs looks in really good condition, itīs a 1969 or 70. the model no. is G58 R and it looks like solid brazilian rosewood back and sides. very beautiful grain. i would love a brazilian rosewood guitar but canīt afford a Martin etc. is this a good deal? any help appreciated. thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Have you played any Grammers? They are not usually thought of as having a particularly good acoustic sound.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM

no iīve never played one.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch1956 View Post
no iīve never played one.
You may want to try one or at least get a return agreement if you don't like it.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 AM

any more opinions??
Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 AM

Smile

I played (using this term lightly) two Brazillian Rosewood dread models at Guitar Center about a year ago. After playing them I could not come up with one good rationalization to convince myself to purchase either guitar. Playability was terrible. The necks are extremely thin. The sound.....little to no sustain and the projection was non existent. They did put new John Pierce strings on one of them. It did not make a difference. My conclusion was that you get what you pay for and I already have a laminate beater that sounded way better than either solid wood Grammer. My taste lean toward the "Martin" sound.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
hi, iīve been offered a Grammer guitar for $1350. iīve only seen photos of it. itīs looks in really good condition, itīs a 1969 or 70. the model no. is G58 R and it looks like solid brazilian rosewood back and sides. very beautiful grain. i would love a brazilian rosewood guitar but canīt afford a Martin etc. is this a good deal? any help appreciated. thanks
Hi gretsch1956...

Here is an article published by Vintage Guitar Magazine in 2008 about the company. It is a short history, and may give you some useful info.

Grammar Guitars Article - CLicK

It has pictures and a few informational dates and details. Hope it helps...

Actually if you have $1350 you do have enough money for a used Martin...though likely not a Brazilian Rosewood model.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 AM

You need to ask if it is Brazilian rosewood -seeing a picture on line , sometimes can be deceiving .Ive seen EIR that looks like Brazilian and vica versa . (Theirs no one capable of giving you a definite answer from a poor quality picture ) ( unless the original label on the inside of the guitar states Brazilian rosewood ) or the maker tells you so in writting !

Ive heard of the guitars -( thanks ljguitar for the article ) they look interesting -maybe a diamond in the rough . But guitar values for un popular guitars is way down - in other words they maybe hard to sell and prices are all over the place .An example is the CFOX i own - people are scared of them becasue its not a easily recognized name -even thou it is a phenominal guitar .

If your serious about the guitar -and its from a established dealer- ask them if you can have 10 or more days to keep or return the instrument . I like funky stuff like that -but most people dont.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Depends on whether YOU like it or not, they are different tonally than a Martin or a Gibson, I have owned and sold over 60 of them (most blue label pre Ampeg versions) and never received any negative feedback from my clients. They are a part of the Nashville legacy and have a cult like following ,I personally still own several ( 1 being one of the first 100 ever made)and love them for what they are, they may not be everyone's cup of tea but that is what makes the world of guitars so much fun.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
any more opinions??
As with any guitar you'd be buying. You should be playing it and also making a visual inspection to make sure there aren't any flaws or damage that wouldn't show up in pictures.

Lastly, how do you know it's Braz? By model #, or buy seller's word?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 AM

I've played a few Grammer guitars, maybe three or four of them over the years. I can't say I've ever played one that I wanted to own.

They were very much a product of their time and place.

whm
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I play weekly with 3 others. In our circle there is a high end Tayloy, a mid range Gibson,
My Martin 000-18, and a Grammer that fits your description perfectly. All sound good. The Grammer is easy to play, looks good and has a very good tone. Don't think I would trade, but I like it a lot. We are the poster boys for different tastes in guitars for different players.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brazilian, grammer, vintage acoustic