The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-04-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Barbera under saddle removal vice

My Barbera under saddle isn’t picking up the G string as well as the others so I’d like to remove it and send it to Rich Barbera to repair. It has a volume and tone control in the sound hole. Can someone tell me where I should cut the wires? Or should I remove the entire housing and send that in? Much thanks!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:22 PM

Have you looked at the endpin jack yet? I believe the active Soloist with volume and tone controls is connected to the endpin jack via 2.5mm connector. If that's the case you would unplug the connector from the endpin jack first. I'm assuming since you said cut the wires that you don't know how to solder/desolder or don't have access to one. If that's the case cut the wires as close as you can. If you don't have this type of setup still cut the Soloist wires as close to the endpin as you can get so you don't decrease the length of the cable too much. That way you can also leave the volume and tone controls untouched since you plan to have it repaired and put back in.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:31 AM

Thanks GuitarLuva, I’ll check it out today.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:57 PM

I actually received an in-depth email from John Buscarino himself on how to remove the Barbera from my Buscarino Starlight!
Old 06-05-2020, 09:01 PM

No problem, did you get it removed okay?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:00 PM

No, haven’t tackled it yet but I will soon!
Old 06-09-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
My Barbera under saddle isn’t picking up the G string as well as the others so I’d like to remove it and send it to Rich Barbera to repair. It has a volume and tone control in the sound hole. Can someone tell me where I should cut the wires? Or should I remove the entire housing and send that in? Much thanks!
Kalani,
I don't remember where I read this, but if dust collects in some of the tiny little parts in the pickup/saddle a string can stop working partially or fully. It happened on my low E string. So, I simply blew into that area and – low and behold – it started working! Obviously compressed air would do a better job. It may be an outside chance, but give it a go before you uninstall and send back for repair. Who knows?
Old 06-12-2020, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info, I’ll try it!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification