The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone watching Garth Brooks bio?

Are you watching the Garth Brooks bio on Netflix? I was impressed. Touching and revealing.
Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson; Taylor 714ce; Alvarez APA 1965

Last edited by norseman; 06-05-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I did, enjoyed it.

I met the guy back in the '90s, just before he rocketed to superstardom. Talked to him for 10 minutes or so. Very nice person, genuine, and he was grateful for where he was at the time. He knew "The Dance" was about to take him to the top.

Got a big smile on the same night from a pretty young woman. Found out her name was Faith Hill. Never heard of her.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:11 AM

Nope. I lived in the city he lives in when he’s in OK for twenty plus years, lots of people ran into home at different stores. I’m sure he’s a great guy....just never got into the hype!
Old 06-05-2020, 06:48 AM

A guy that comes in my shop works for a radio station in Kentucky, he was telling me he’s met lots of country music people over the years, and his favorite was Garth Brooks. He told me he was very impressed by Garth because a few years back, he had the occasion of meeting him twice over a 4 month period, and upon the second meeting, Garth not only remembered his name, but asked how his daughter was doing since she had recently graduated high school. He said he was floored that someone like Garth Brooks would care enough to remember a behind the scenes guy at a mid market radio station.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Nope. I lived in the city he lives in when he’s in OK for twenty plus years, lots of people ran into home at different stores. I’m sure he’s a great guy....just never got into the hype!
I never got it either, although I did like some of the songs. Then, my wife insisted we go see him at Rupp arena in Kentucky a few years ago. As soon as he hit the stage in a place full of about 25,000 people, I got it. That dude has a way of connecting with a crowd that I’ve never seen in any other performer. We were in the upper level, and it felt like a hot gig in a small venue.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I think his music is genuine and he is a great performer I saw him open for Crystal Gale at Billy Bobs in Huston and he literally stole the show ,,,, But unfortunately when he started smashing guitars on stage, for me he was done , (just like the Who).
I think at the very least offensive it is cheap classless theatrics.
and represents one aspect of what is wrong in the entertainment industry specifically , and society in general.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-05-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepsdad View Post
I never got it either, although I did like some of the songs. Then, my wife insisted we go see him at Rupp arena in Kentucky a few years ago. As soon as he hit the stage in a place full of about 25,000 people, I got it. That dude has a way of connecting with a crowd that I’ve never seen in any other performer. We were in the upper level, and it felt like a hot gig in a small venue.
Yes you’re right! He puts on a “rock” style show for people that like country music! No one like him in that regard. He makes guys like George Strait look boring!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think his music is genuine and he is a great performer I saw him open for Crystal Gale at Billy Bobs in Huston and he literally stole the show ,,,, But unfortunately when he started smashing guitars on stage, for me he was done , (just like the Who).
I think at the very least offensive it is cheap classless theatrics.
and represents one aspect of what is wrong in the entertainment industry specifically , and society in general.
I agree. The whole smashing guitar thing is beyond stupid,IMO!😁
Old 06-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Ignoring the Excessiveness

Like some of you, I abhor the excessive showmanship Garth incorporates in to his concerts. Smashing guitars is silly and swinging from rope ladders is downright stupid, but the Netflix series shows how much his audience loves it. I'm more taken with the lyrics of his songs - many which he wrote himself. His success helped sustain country music through some otherwise tough years. Just as important, to me, was the way he cared for his family - even retiring for 13 years to do right by his daughters. The Netflix bio gave me a different perspective on his divorce and eventual marriage to Trisha Yearwood. No love triangle there as some publications wanted to suggest. Finally, I found the interviews with Garth to be open and honest. The guy wears his heart on his sleeve. I don't know who initiated this four hour series or why, but I'm glad I watched it.
Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson; Taylor 714ce; Alvarez APA 1965
Old 06-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Thanks for sharing.

As a 90s kid I grew up a big fan. I’ve seen him live both in the 90s and back in 2016. I’m more of a traditional country guy but there will always be a nostalgic factor to his music for me. Some of his older stuff actually has a traditional sound. I’m actually even thinking about purchasing a Takamine GB7c guitar.

I think the guitar smashing deal was something done for a NBC tv special and the producers thought it would be a great idea. I’ve read where he really regretted it.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:13 AM

I'm sure he's a great guy, and he's got a few great songs, but I can't get past the copycat fashion tragedy he caused in the '90s in my rural hometown. The shirts, belts, boots, and mullets nearly caused me to have seizures.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Urban Cowboy

Garth might very well have been a factor in this phenomenon, but I'd be just as inclined to credit John Travolta in his role as Bud in Urban Cowboy. I'll bet more people took up two-steppin' and line dancing in cowboy hats and boots because of Bud and Sissie than ever saw Garth in concert. There really is no way to know where the cultural trends get started. I have a hunch there is a little bit of cowboy/cowgirl longing in many of us.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I'm sure he's a great guy, and he's got a few great songs, but I can't get past the copycat fashion tragedy he caused in the '90s in my rural hometown. The shirts, belts, boots, and mullets nearly caused me to have seizures.
Agreed. That was awful.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman View Post
Garth might very well have been a factor in this phenomenon, but I'd be just as inclined to credit John Travolta in his role as Bud in Urban Cowboy. I'll bet more people took up two-steppin' and line dancing in cowboy hats and boots because of Bud and Sissie than ever saw Garth in concert. There really is no way to know where the cultural trends get started. I have a hunch there is a little bit of cowboy/cowgirl longing in many of us.
Garth came waaay after Urban Cowboy....

i have met him a few times, as i ran radio stations for CBS for many years...he was always genuine...and of course, the most amazing performer...he could put the audience in the palm of his hands...he called me once to wish me a merry christmas...my secretary came on my line and said garth brooks was on line 3...i said...hahaha...that's funny...probably my friend dan...tell him to hold...and i left him there for like five minutes, until she buzzed me again...i laughed and said tell him to hold...two minutes later she buzzes me again, so i pick up..."yeah, whaddya want?"...."hello, lee? this is garth...garth brooks....we met in miami at my show and i set a meeting for you and bob doyle, remember?"...i was like holy sh*t! i thought you were someone else...sorry to keep you waiting...he had called to wish me a merry xmas and to thank us for playing his records...effin hysterical....
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN