The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
I played a Cordoba GK Studio today at my local GC. I must say that I was surprised and impressed. This guitar was very well made, the projection and playability were equally nice. The tonal colors were impressive. I only wish I had the opportunity to plug it in. Unplugged, it was a winner.

I Agree with you, I own one and love it. great note seperation and clarity, and surprisingly, pretty long lasting tone as it is based on Flamence. My only gripe, well, not really, is that my fret ends are sharp, but I can live with that until I get cut (Darnit)!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Hi,
I have recently purchased three Córdoba guitars. I really like the tone. I have found no other guitar in that price range that tickles my funny bone the way they do.
However, I must say in all fairness, I had to return one, and may have to return another due to really uneven fret work and fingerboards. I first got a 3/4 size for my daughter that has an uneven fret or two, no biggie; though one of my favorite notes buzzes.
Then, I bought a 32e at Best Buy. Sounded delicious at first, then I discovered a few notes that would create this loud resonant, stereo sounding metalic sizzle as if two tones are playing at once, somewhat like the sound of a kazoo. They were show stoppers. I took it to my luthier who improved it, but could not get rid of one. He said it was a nice guitar, but the neck was not straight enough. I managed to get my money back from Best Buy and purchase a C7 that I fell in love with.
I got the C7 home and was loving it for a while until I played a certain chord that revealed the same problem with the neck as the 32e. It was not just fret buzz. I am not about to spend another extra $100 to have this one fixed.
So, I am ready to take this one back and try one more Cordoba guitar, because I have high hopes that I will find the right one. The tone is incredible, but it does appear from my experience that Quality Control needs to double check the frets on some of them. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm.

Will

Last edited by willsing; 09-11-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Cordobas

I played a variety of nylons, including older model Martins, Yamahas, Ibanez, as well as Taylor and Rodriquez. I then tried many Cordobas and like the following quite a bit: C7, GK Studio and Orchestra 12. Many included electronics, not a purist approach, but I liked the results. While I generally do not like a single source, UST approach for steel string, I found the nylons to be much more pleasing than steel strings when using only a UST for amplification. Of course, they still do not sound like a miked guitar.

If you do not need amplification or want to add it, the C7 is a very good choice, provided you play it before buying (quality varied slightly). I found one GK Studio, with Fishman electronics (mike + UST), and it was stunning unamplified (for Flamenco), with gorgeous, golden, straight grained cypress, and it sounded very good amplified. Unfortunately, I played another that was quite average when unamplified, made from visually unimpressive cypress.

I then played a rosewood B/S, cedar top Orchestra 12, with Fishman UST electronics and volume/tone controls concealed on the rim of the soundhole, and the guitar is not a cutaway and has a crossover nut width (1 7/8"). Traditional look, simple amplification and really nice finish work, including the frets and neck (it also has a truss rod). Really well made and very balanced sound. Projection is very good but does not compete with the best (guitars above $2,500). I really like this guitar. It is truly a joy to play.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Will,

Please PM me and I will get you taken care of. Apologize for your negative experience with Q/C and customer service. It's not who we are.

Jay
Cordoba Guitars
Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtail View Post
I found one GK Studio, with Fishman electronics . . .

I then played a rosewood B/S, cedar top Orchestra 12, with Fishman UST electronics and volume/tone controls concealed on the rim of the soundhole . . .
I didn't know Cordoba uses Fishman electronics. Not to slam Fishman (I like their products) but I hope Cordoba still offers B-Band electronics. I have a Fusion 14 with the B-Band A6T premamp and UST/SBT pickups, and with the EQ dialed in properly the amplified sound is terrific. Even with just the UST the sound is better than I'm using to hearing with UST, with none of that "boingy" sound USTs tend to produce with nylon strings.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
I didn't know Cordoba uses Fishman electronics.
They still use B-Band for some models.

The Fishman units are the Presys label and I think these are strictly OEM preamps (sold only to manufacturers). This is the information on Fishman's website:
Disclaimer: You may know that Fishman has been selling preamps under the name AERO. This name is actually a trademark of Aero Instrument, a fellow company in the music industry. Being the family company that we are, rather than seek conflict -- we decided to select a new product name. You will now find these products sold under the name Presys.
BTW, I asked Fishman what the difference was between the Presys and the new Clasica preamps. The rep said the only difference was the label.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygits View Post
Will,

Please PM me and I will get you taken care of. Apologize for your negative experience with Q/C and customer service. It's not who we are.

Jay
Cordoba Guitars
Thanks Jay. I will do that if I stay with the 7C. I just picked up a 45r on sale that is a sweet guitar. I will be playing both over the next couple of weeks to see which one stays. They both have different tone flavors, very nice flavors.
Will

Last edited by willsing; 09-12-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:08 AM

Last week I bought my first Cordoba. It was a C-5, it's far and away the best guitar I've ever owned.

I'll never own anything in the $2,000 and up price range, and the C-7 is about the most expensive I'll get most likely. But with that being said, I couldn't tell the difference in sound between the two...but they are both wonderful!

I don't know if the C5's are factory made, hand made, whatever, but it sounds so much better than my Koa Ibanez (I sold it for this, explained in another thread). The sound is so much bigger and I can't keep my hands off of it!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehempel View Post
Last week I bought my first Cordoba. It was a C-5, it's far and away the best guitar I've ever owned.

I'll never own anything in the $2,000 and up price range, and the C-7 is about the most expensive I'll get most likely. But with that being said, I couldn't tell the difference in sound between the two...but they are both wonderful!

I don't know if the C5's are factory made, hand made, whatever, but it sounds so much better than my Koa Ibanez (I sold it for this, explained in another thread). The sound is so much bigger and I can't keep my hands off of it!
I am glad to hear that you found a guitar that works for you. I enjoyed your videos. It does sound nice. Congrats. I like that clarity that the mahogany/cedar combo gives.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
I have fond memories of an all Koa cutaway a/e Cordoba that I played at Guitar Center about 2 years ago.
Me too! And what a gorgeous-looking guitar it was.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I had 2 Cordoba CE/C5 reasonably priced ( $200 to $250) used and a very nice guitar.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Played a new Cordoba "fusion" the other day at GC. It had a very nicely bookmatched maple back and sides with a spruce top. Very nice tone..Very good bass with nice clarity..due I'm guessing to the maple... And the price was down to earth..
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Default Experience with a Cordoba GK Studio

Well, I was not going to do this, but, I need to get it out on the forum to see if anyone else may have had this experience or had a similar one as I.

Previously I posted that I owned a Cordoba GK Studio guitar, and really liked the tone, and looks, allot.

Well, this was purchased brand new from Guitar Center, with the case, taken out of the box, and initially, it was buzzing allot, so after a quick adjustment by the Guitar Center tech, it was fine.

What I noticed after I took it home was that the fret ends on both sides of the neck were sharp while moving from the nut to the bridge. I thought that was strange being a brand new guitar.

So feeling that I should get help and advice, I called the source, Tornovoz Music, whom I found were the maker's of Cordoba??? Not sure, but I called their customer service department and set up a return of the instrument to get them to fix the neck and address any other issue that they may see.

I explained to the gal, whom I was transferred to, that I like the looks and the sound of the guitar allot, and if they could just fix the sharp fret ends, I would be happy. She issued an RMA; I paid for shipping the guitar back with insurance and sent the guitar back.

Well, here is where the fun starts;

After three weeks or so, I sent an email, and did not get a response right away, but had to call and get the status of the warranty repair. The rep graciously responded that she will find out and email me the status; fine.

I received word that the guitar had a warped neck, and that they decided to just replace it. Well, I received the email with a tracking# that a replacement guitar was shipped back to me. In my mind, I said "great" one less thing to worry about.

Well, I picked the guitar up on Friday from the FedEx depot, and brought it home, opened the box, and was floored.

Initially, I sent the guitar in in the black/grayish case that you get when purchasing the guitar, to minimize movement or damage. I opened the box, thinking that "This is light" got it back with out the case, but the guitar only, wrapped in a white styrofaom wrap, with brown paper crumpled up around it.

This led me to question, where did this get lost in the transition? It could have been broken apart with no case, hypothetically, but the other thoughts that were swimming through my head, were, where is my case that I shipped it in, and why did they not just repair or replace the neck, as I specifically stated that other than the sharp fret ends, I like the guitar and wanted to keep it. Would a neck replacement be too difficult?

Then to my dismay as well, the guitar also had the finish flaked off of bottom top edge, which is clearly seen and felt; what happened there????

So, this lead me to ponder other questions;

Did the finish flake off that fast that no one noticed it when they shipped the guitar out?

Who is in charge of the final inspection and quality control?

Where did this get lost in the mix?

Why could not they just fix the fret ends or replace the neck?

Where is my case, and wasn't there any concern that the guitar would get damaged in shipping?

This was just disheartening.

Now, I sent an email to Tornovoz Friday, when I received the guitar, and am awaiting a reply to see how they will handle this. I have no doubt that they will take care of this, but I am a bit saddened and surprised it was handled this way. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Last edited by guitpl4evr; 10-10-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections
Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 PM

I hope your problem is the exception to the rule. However, a rep from Tornovoz has been on this thread before, and with any luck he'll be back and will help take care of you.

BTW, the reason they didn't replace the neck is that it's not really possible. All of Cordoba's nylon string guitars are built with a Spanish foot, and replacing the neck would mean taking the entire guitar apart.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM

That's a really bad snafu; forgotten case and a defective replacement. I'm tempted to conclude that someone in the service office just called the warehouse and told them to ship you a replacement unit without bothering to investigate the details of the original service request.

I can only imagine that it's quite frustrating for you given all the time that has passed and that will pass until the matter is finally taken care of. Let us know how the situation is resolved. You shouldn't have to pay for returning the defective replacement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical