The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Default Any of you tried Yamaha CG-TA?

An exciter vibrating the back panel (similar to Tonewood which runs around $250 and looks cumbersome,) sounded impressive with a little reverb. When I turned on the exciter in the middle of my nonsense mumbojumbo, people turned to look (at the a local guitar center playroom. First time without the stink eyes.) Around $600, you don't have to stash it in the case all the time. Not now, but maybe down the road I might pick one up when there are more used ones around.

Has anyone tried it and what do you think? Does the battery last long enough?
Old 10-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
An exciter vibrating the back panel (similar to Tonewood which runs around $250 and looks cumbersome,) sounded impressive with a little reverb. When I turned on the exciter in the middle of my nonsense mumbojumbo, people turned to look (at the a local guitar center playroom. First time without the stink eyes.) Around $600, you don't have to stash it in the case all the time. Not now, but maybe down the road I might pick one up when there are more used ones around.

Has anyone tried it and what do you think? Does the battery last long enough?
I recently bought a Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic steel-string and think the TransAcoustic system is a great-sounding device worthy of consideration. I, too, had the experience of turning people's heads and getting great comments when I first played a used LL-TA in my favorite local shop. Also, the effect seems to inspire better playing on my part.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I recently bought a Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic steel-string and think the TransAcoustic system is a great-sounding device worthy of consideration. I, too, had the experience of turning people's heads and getting great comments when I first played a used LL-TA in my favorite local shop. Also, the effect seems to inspire better playing on my part.
Sprucetop, do you think, over time, all that extra vibration would make the guitar sound better ultimately and get there quicker as well? If they could make a smaller exciter for 3/4 or 1/2 size classical, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Btw, how long does the battery last? Thank you for the input! Hope I can convince my wife to check out some digital pianos at the GC.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Sprucetop, do you think, over time, all that extra vibration would make the guitar sound better ultimately and get there quicker as well? If they could make a smaller exciter for 3/4 or 1/2 size classical, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Btw, how long does the battery last? Thank you for the input! Hope I can convince my wife to check out some digital pianos at the GC.
As you know, per your OP title, Yamaha has a TransAcoustic Classical model. Learn more about it here: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs

Yamaha also has a steel-string parlor model that you can learn more about here: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs

Would the TransAcoustic Exciter help a guitar sound better and quicker, too, i.e., open up quicker? Maybe, but my feeling is it doesn't matter if the guitar sounds good to begin with.

The battery life per Yamaha is 10 hours of continuous usage. I don't doubt this as I've changed my batteries from the Chinese original ones to DuraCells only once after maybe about that amount of usage time. My advice is if you're playing out is to always carry spare batteries with you and it takes only a minute or less to change them to fresh ones.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

SpruceTop (Ken)
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Yamaha also has a steel-string parlor model that you can learn more about here: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs

Would the TransAcoustic Exciter help a guitar sound better and quicker, too, i.e., open up quicker? Maybe, but my feeling is it doesn't matter if the guitar sounds good to begin with.

The battery life per Yamaha is 10 hours of continuous usage. I don't doubt this as I've changed my batteries from the Chinese original ones to DuraCells only once after maybe about that amount of usage time. My advice is if you're playing out is to always carry spare batteries with you and it takes only a minute or less to change them to fresh ones.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

SpruceTop (Ken)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your thorough input. That parlor size uses the same what they call System 70 TA actuator as the rest. If this was Emerald, they could probably install it to any of their guitars you wish. Wish you many hours of natural reverb and a little bit of chorus!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical