The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-18-2022, 11:40 AM

Default Luthier recommendations for a specific build?

Hello,

I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend some luthiers for me to contact for a build I'd like to do in the near future. I'd prefer someone with a waiting list that isn't several years long. Budget is 14K max but would happily spend less.

The type of guitar I'm thinking of is primarily for blues. I was imagining a parlor like the Froggy Bottom P-14 with Adi top and Mahogany b/s. Venetian cutaway. 1 11/16" at the nut. Low profile neck with a compound radius (12" - 16"). If not compound, then a short radius approaching as close to 10" as possible.

Obviously, I'm considering Froggy Bottom, but I'm not sure if they would build me a guitar with neck specs like I described above. So trying to explore other options as well.

BTW, I welcome any build suggestions you may have for this blues machine. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:22 PM

I would recommend Laurent Brondel. He is highly skilled at carving necks exactly to your specification, and will also be within your budget. That said, many other builders will be able to do this as well. Have you reached out to FB already, since you like their parlor sound?
Old 04-18-2022, 12:48 PM

At your budget, are you OK with a bolt-on neck, a non-nitro finish, non-HHG construction, no options for a built-in arm-bevels, sound port, etc. If not, you will have to look beyond FB.

Tommy
Old 04-18-2022, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

These things can be difficult because there are so many people that make parlor guitars. Can you describe builders whose sound you like other than FB?
Old 04-18-2022, 03:19 PM

Firstly, thank you folks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosswind View Post
I would recommend Laurent Brondel. He is highly skilled at carving necks exactly to your specification, and will also be within your budget. That said, many other builders will be able to do this as well. Have you reached out to FB already, since you like their parlor sound?
I will certainly research Brondel on your recommendation. I haven't contacted FB yet. I plan to start making inquiries just before summer. I have a FB model M, which is quite lovely. Purchased pre-owned. The radius on that guitar takes some getting used to (but I'm happily trying), so I wanted to address that with a custom order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
At your budget, are you OK with a bolt-on neck, a non-nitro finish, non-HHG construction, no options for a built-in arm-bevels, sound port, etc. If not, you will have to look beyond FB. Tommy
I thought FB used horsehide glue. Not the case? I don't mind not having arm bevels or sound ports. Can you talk about the disadvantages of a bolt-on neck if you don't mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
These things can be difficult because there are so many people that make parlor guitars. Can you describe builders whose sound you like other than FB?
Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of hearing many parlor guitars in person. Outside of FB I've also heard an Eastman that was very nice. I know it's not easy to narrow down the field to luthiers with a more traditional bent that have a particular talent for getting that blues sound out of a parlor. I expect to have to do quite a bit of research on it.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O View Post
Firstly, thank you folks for your replies.

I will certainly research Brondel on your recommendation. I haven't contacted FB yet. I plan to start making inquiries just before summer. I have a FB model M, which is quite lovely. Purchased pre-owned. The radius on that guitar takes some getting used to (but I'm happily trying), so I wanted to address that with a custom order.

I thought FB used horsehide glue. Not the case? I don't mind not having arm bevels or sound ports. Can you talk about the disadvantages of a bolt-on neck if you don't mind?

Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of hearing many parlor guitars in person. Outside of FB I've also heard an Eastman that was very nice. I know it's not easy to narrow down the field to luthiers with a more traditional bent that have a particular talent for getting that blues sound out of a parlor. I expect to have to do quite a bit of research on it.
If I were getting a parlor, I’d go with a company/builder that makes a lot of them.
FB is one. Collings is another. I really enjoyed the two Collings parlors I played. Our resident member USB Chord would be a great resource for FB.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
If I were getting a parlor, I’d go with a company/builder that makes a lot of them.
FB is one. Collings is another. I really enjoyed the two Collings parlors I played. Our resident member USB Chord would be a great resource for FB.
Sound advice. I have concerns that my neck requirements may be a sticking point for companies like FB, but maybe I'm wrong on that one.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
... I have a FB model M, which is quite lovely. Purchased pre-owned. The radius on that guitar takes some getting used to (but I'm happily trying), so I wanted to address that with a custom order.

I thought FB used horsehide glue. Not the case? I don't mind not having arm bevels or sound ports. Can you talk about the disadvantages of a bolt-on neck if you don't mind?.
I too have a FB model M with another on the way this summer via direct commission. Yes, their standard 20" radius can be a deal-breaker for some.

HHG....I was told by the FB dealer back in 2005; No. I'll check with Andy at FB.

FB as well as many other top-tier luthiers have proven without a doubt (to me) that there is no disadvantage to a bolt-on neck when correctly executed.

As a side note, you may want to consider EVO frets too. I don't particularly like the gold color, but the advantages outweigh the aesthetics. So my new FB will have EVO Frets.

Tommy

Last edited by tommieboy; 04-18-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I too have a FB model M with another on the way this summer via direct commission. Yes, their standard 20" radius can be a deal-breaker for some.

HHG....I was told by the FB dealer back in 2005; No. I'll check with Andy at FB.

FB as well as many other top-tier luthiers have proven without a doubt (to me) that there is no disadvantage to a bolt-on neck when correctly executed.

As a side note, you may want to consider EVO frets too. I don't particularly like the gold color, but the advantages out way the aesthetics. So my new FB will have EVO Frets.

Tommy
Yes, that M is so comfortable to play but the radius... I will adapt!

I never knew there was a concern about bolt-on necks, but I'd imagine FB would have changed their design at some point in 50 years if it proved to be a major problem.

Thanks for the EVO tip! Not a big fan of gold either. But I will consider it.
Having already worked with FB on a custom, do you think my neck requirements are something they would do? Or is it too much of a departure?
Old 04-18-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, that M is so comfortable to play but the radius... I will adapt!

I never knew there was a concern about bolt-on necks, but I'd imagine FB would have changed their design at some point in 50 years if it proved to be a major problem.

Thanks for the EVO tip! Not a big fan of gold either. But I will consider it.
Having already worked with FB on a custom, do you think my neck requirements are something they would do? Or is it too much of a departure?
FB prides itself on custom neck carves, but I'm not so sure on that 10" or 12" radius. Only FB can answer that question.

I requested EVO frets, a 16" radius at the first fret, a little more of a roll on the fretboard edge to deal with my thumb-over fretting, and a slightly fuller neck profile. Andy at FB had no issue with those requests.

Tommy

This is one of the images that I sent to Andy at FB. That is my current Model M.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
FB prides itself on custom neck carves, but I'm not so sure on that 10" or 12" radius. Only FB can answer that question.

I requested EVO frets, a 16" radius at the first fret, a little more of a roll on the fretboard edge to deal with my thumb-over fretting, and a slightly fuller neck profile. Andy at FB had no issue with those requests.

Tommy
Well that's encouraging, actually. That roll on the fretboard edge is a great idea!
Old 04-18-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Tommy

This is one of the images that I sent to Andy at FB. That is my current Model M.

You cut that out yourself to show them the thickness of the neck that you want?
Old 04-18-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You cut that out yourself to show them the thickness of the neck that you want?
It's a "contour gauge". It takes on the form of the object as you press down on it. The light sneaking under the gauge is the difference between my Guild F30 Standard and the FB neck. The Guild F30 Standard has a slightly deeper neck.

Tommy
Old 04-18-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
It's a "contour gauge". It takes on the form of the object as you press down on it. The light sneaking under the gauge is the difference between my Guild F30 Standard and the FB neck. The Guild F30 Standard has a slightly deeper neck.

Tommy
Ah... I see! So you want the fullness of the Guild. Very cool little tool!
Old 04-18-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Ah... I see! So you want the fullness of the Guild.
Yes, I was surprised to see how close the two necks are on the backside. The real difference is what is happening on the top side. The Guild has more of a rolled edge along the length of the fretboard and a 12" radius at the first fret. Together all of these small tweaks add up to a fuller feeling neck in my hand. However, as I mentioned in my previous post, I will be going with a 16" radius at the first fret in lieu of their standard 20" radius.

Tommy

Last edited by tommieboy; 04-18-2022 at 04:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop