The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-13-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone with a newer X20 in Philly area?

In 2018, I had an X20 for a little while (before the changed body in around 2020) and wasn't crazy about it. But the X20 has changed a bit and my tastes have changed more than a bit and I'm really curious to try one of the new ones (with the larger rear cutout). So, as the title asks, is there anyone within shooting distance of Philly with a new-ish X20 that I could check out? I could come to your place, we could meet somewhere - I'd even be willing to swap one of my guitars and we could check out each other's guitars for 2-3 days. I'd just like to spend a little bit of time with an X20 to see if I might have another one in my future... I'm in West Chester, btw...

Thanks,

-Ray
Old 09-13-2022, 12:41 PM

Hi Ray. I don't currently have one, but it's on order and I expect it within another month or so. If you don't try one out before then, you'd be welcome to check mine out once I get it.
Takamine 12 string
Ibanez AE255BT-NT Baritone
Carlo Robelli SB-100E Bass
Various electric guitars and basses as well.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Aaron - I’ll keep that in mind and get back to you if nothing else comes up first.

-Ray
Old 09-14-2022, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Ray: FWIW I found a significant difference in tone between my previously owned X20s, pre and post changes. I didn't own them at the same time so I didn't do an A-B, but my recollection was that the post-changes X20 projected much better...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-14-2022, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Ray: FWIW I found a significant difference in tone between my previously owned X20s, pre and post changes. I didn't own them at the same time so I didn't do an A-B, but my recollection was that the post-changes X20 projected much better...
I’ve heard different takes on that, so I’d like to check it out for myself. But I think a bigger factor may be my changing tastes over the years. Four years ago I was all in with mahogany wooden guitars, didn’t like rosewood at all. Now I like both a lot, with only a slight preference for mahogany. The X20 was too bright for me then - I much preferred the more mid-rangy X7. Now the X7 sounds a bit dark for me some days. I’m borrowing an X30 at the moment, and it’s an amazing guitar, but it’s just got way too deep a voice for me. So, now I’m curious about a new X20, because of possible changes in it and in my preferences.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber