The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-01-2022, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Oska Burman Guitars | Baritone twins - Carpathian/Black Walnut & Sitka/Rosewood

Hi fellow AGF'ers. Hope everyone is well.

These are the latest two guitars to have exited my studio workshop - a pair of Acoustic Baritones.

They are the same model/specs as each other, but made from different top, back & sides woods. One has a Carpathian Spruce top with American Black Walnut back & sides and the other has a Sitka Spruce top with Indian Rosewood back & sides. They both have laminated sides, with mahogany on the insides. The rosettes are made from Spalted Maple. They are bound in Indian Rosewood & Bloodwood respectively. The scale length is 720mm (28.3") with a nut width of 45mm (1.77") & they are strung up with 16 - 70 gauge strings.

I had the absolute pleasure of having the extremely talented, multi award winning folk/trad guitarist Jenn Butterworth www.jennbutterworth.co.uk take both of my acoustic baritones for a spin, to give you all an idea of what they sound like.

There are three videos here. The first is the demo of the Carpathian Spruce/American Black Walnut model, the second video is the demo of the Sitka/Indian Rosewood model & the last video is her introduction to both of the guitars giving her thoughts/comparisons.

Sounds best if you've got a nice pair of headphones or good quality speakers to play them through.

Cheers,

Oska.

Facebook
Instagram

Last edited by Oska Burman; 08-29-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Both guitars sound amazing, bravo!
Old 06-02-2022, 01:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mojo View Post
Wow! Both guitars sound amazing, bravo!
Thanks a lot!
Facebook
Instagram
Old 06-03-2022, 02:50 AM

They sound very good and respond well to her playing. Great note clarity, even when she is pushing them. And very nice sustain too.

With the first two individual videos I had a strong preference for the walnut guitar, which seemed to have some extra brightness that accentuates the notes. Then in the third video (with both being played) the rosewood one sounded closer to the walnut one. I guess it shows the variability in tone with even small changes to the guitars’ positions relative to the mics.

Thanks Oska, they are fine guitars!
Old 06-05-2022, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
They sound very good and respond well to her playing. Great note clarity, even when she is pushing them. And very nice sustain too.

With the first two individual videos I had a strong preference for the walnut guitar, which seemed to have some extra brightness that accentuates the notes. Then in the third video (with both being played) the rosewood one sounded closer to the walnut one. I guess it shows the variability in tone with even small changes to the guitars’ positions relative to the mics.

Thanks Oska, they are fine guitars!
Cheers.

Yes I was very pleased with the tonal outcomes of these two, particularly in the areas that you described - responsiveness, clarity & sustain.

I also did a blind test with my workshop mate which showed that seeing the guitar also influenced your auditory perception!
Facebook
Instagram
Old 08-27-2022, 02:50 PM

Should have been visiting today. Limping around in Austin instead.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Should have been visiting today. Limping around in Austin instead.
There's always next time Jeff. Good luck with your recovery.
Facebook
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop