The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-06-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
There's a cult? Does it cost to join? Do I have to shave my head... or anything else? Too many questions? I have some free space for a tattoo if that helps get me in.
Nice try, Captain J. Yes, there is a cult... and YOU'RE their leader!!

Seriously though, to get this thread back on track for the poor OP, let me add some comments (and caveats) about the 'wolf tone' issue I encountered with my X7 (and other) Emeralds. I need to add that in my case, all of the Emeralds that I ordered from scratch had custom features such as custom scale lengths, custom neck shapes and K&K pickups. In the case of the X20 and X7, both had 24.6" necks with a soft V shape. That means the X20 was shorter than the standard while the X7 was longer. So, who knows? Maybe that 24.6" length is the perfect storm for creating 'wolf tones' and mid-range boxiness?

I went back to my NGD post for the X7 and read the whole thing. It went from the usual over-the-moon, glowing, love-at-first-strum awesomeness to a few tonal things that began to bug me over a short time. It should also be noted that back then I was purely a fingerstyle player. These days I predominantly strum with a pick although I do still play fingerstyle on the ballads. I was able to dial out the X7's wolf tones with EQ, specifically the Headway preamp I used back then with the handy high pass filter when playing live and amplified.

On the third page of my review I added a final update after playing several gigs with the X7 and here were my thoughts then which provide some insight to the wolf tone and mid-range boxiness issue:

As for the X7, it was very comfortable and easy to play and a joy to perform with. The tone did get a little boxy in the mid-range strings but the variable high-pass filter on the Headway made quick work of any wolf-tones encountered in the different capo positions. I think the X20 will still remain the gigging workhorse for the most part as the overall tone from the larger, deeper body is preferable when playing amplified. One area the X7 does excel/exceed the X20 is that it does not have that overly hot A string that the X20 does. So each has it little bit over the other. I can see the X20 getting the call most of the time with the X7 coming along as backup or in some cases the X7 will get the call just to change things up.

For those considering the two and can only pick one I would say that if you prefer lighter weight, more resonant body, easier access to the upper frets and portability in a smaller body then the X7 would fit the bill. If you're looking for an all-arounder with deeper and more even tones, better amplification and just an excellent workhorse of a guitar and the slightly increased size isn't an issue then the X20 would be the choice. In reality you really can't go wrong with either. If I could only have one I'd keep the X20. But I think the pair covers just about any eventuality for me.

One last thought: Although I was unable to find the thread where I discussed at length the issue, I remember that I was able to trace the 'wolf tone' to a sympathetic string vibration which occurs when a certain string is hit/plucked at a fretted position that then causes an open string that is the same note to vibrate creating an unpleasant tone. A common example for me was when playing a G note on the sixth string fretted at the third fret, it would cause the open G third string to sympathetically vibrate creating a 'wolf tone'. It would change depending on capo position meaning it was difficult to identify and remedy with playing technique such as selecting an alternate chord structure like a bar chord. Fortunately, you could 'fix' it when amplified (when it's most apparent) using a high pass filter. On the X20 it reared its head on the A string as an overly hot string and frequently needed to be notched out.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-06-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have some free space for a tattoo if that helps get me in.
I'd be afraid to ask where that free space is located ! Seriously, it's all in fun, Emeralds are wonderful guitars and cults aren't always a bad thing. I had 2 X7's and an X20 and never noticed a wolf tone, doesn't mean they weren't there, I just never noticed it. I had other issues with them, some of those have been addressed on the newer models, some not. For now I'm very very happy with the Sable. All 10 lbs of it. All please take care and enjoy playing....
Old 09-06-2022, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I'd be afraid to ask where that free space is located ! Seriously, it's all in fun, Emeralds are wonderful guitars and cults aren't always a bad thing. I had 2 X7's and an X20 and never noticed a wolf tone, doesn't mean they weren't there, I just never noticed it. I had other issues with them, some of those have been addressed on the newer models, some not. For now I'm very very happy with the Sable. All 10 lbs of it. All please take care and enjoy playing....
Look for the photo in your InBox, John. Now, regarding the wolf tones, I haven't noticed it on any of my Emeralds, either. Although, when playing one of my electrics, the X20, while hanging on the wall, will sometimes get a "sympathetic hum"... but, never while playing it (that I've noticed). One unusual thing with my X10 (with a custom 24.6" scale): an occasional, nearly inaudible high-pitched "plink"... I tracked it down to the high e-string above the nut. I put one of my wife's hair ties around the headstock so it was touching the strings... and the "plink" went away. On the next string change, it never came back.

Now, back to the cult thing: I am not now, nor have I ever been the leader of any cult. If I were to be unanimously appointed Emperor of the World, I will take care of the Earth's problems (mostly people related) and give favored treatment to guitar players. Not just Emerald or even carbon fiber guitars - all guitar players (because I will be a benevolent ruler) will be treated to this special status. Don't ask about banjo players... you don't want to know.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I truly like my X7. Has good sound and plays well. No complaints. Confession, I do play my X7 substantially more than my 000-18. One reason is I can just leave it out on the stand regardless of the weather.

Friends tell me it sounds really good and try to get me to play their woody so they can play the X7 for a while. Like the whole visit.

"The man there said he loved m’ sound
He was ravin’ about how he loved m’ sound
Dollar a day’s worth"

Remember, everyone has an opinion.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:55 PM

From old X7 videos, I got the feeling that it sounds very balanced when played with a soft touch - but might run out of ... depth ... if you dig in. Any truth to this in real life?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 09-14-2022, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
From old X7 videos, I got the feeling that it sounds very balanced when played with a soft touch - but might run out of ... depth ... if you dig in. Any truth to this in real life?
Mine is a previous generation X7; my experience is that the X7 kicks the harder you play it. I am a strummer and vary how much I push a guitar according to the song - the X7 continues to impress me. In overall acoustic volume, it isn't as loud as my X20, but it hangs in there. Plugged in, mine has the B-Band barndoor pickup (no longer being made), that is my favorite. I call it my small guitar that doesn't know it's small.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber