The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
When you buy an acoustic guitar, whether it is an Estaban or an Olson, you are buying it to please one person ......yourself. As long as you are pleased with it, it's "worth it".
I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. It sort of diffuses the arguments that often spout up about what makes a 'good' guitar, why Guitar Brand X is better than Guitar Brand Y, or what makes a guitar 'overpriced'...

Of course without these 'arguments,' there wouldn't be much of a forum left...
Old 01-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
When you buy an acoustic guitar, whether it is an Estaban or an Olson, you are buying it to please one person ......yourself. As long as you are pleased with it, it's "worth it".
I think these are sage words too.

Brent
Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM

this is a Timex versus Rolex argument.
I can actually argue that a Timex is a far superior watch in time keeping....
Why are certain paintings worth so much money? are they prettier?

The variables are innumerable.. however, there are many positive benefits in a custom build as mentioned before.
Sure, factory guitars are great and some are truly exceptional....but I do belive there is a difference. Tonal? Visual? Emotional? Its up to the player to decide.
Some of my best friends now are people I built guitars for! Could that have happened in a factory setting? not likely...

Bottom line, you have one person to please....yourself.

Happy New Year,
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
...A lifetime warranty has more meaning coming from a 175 company than a luthier who may get sick, go out of business or die.
Hi Rich...
To me guitars are similar to cars - especially in the warranty department.

Lifetime Warranty only covers original owners and manufacture defects, which tend to surface rather early in a guitar's life. I've never purchased - nor avoided purchasing - a guitar because of the warranty, lack of warranty, nor the risk of a builder becoming ill, going out of business, or passing away.

If a luthier or manufacturer built it, a different one can repair it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
in the end, if price were no object, meaning i had the money to buy either a handbuild or a gibson bozeman acoustic, i'd still take the gibson. which, in the grand scheme of things, you could then label me narrow minded. then i go home and play either my h-bird or my wife's j-45 and come away thinking i am a genius.

i know there a point in there somewheres....
Woody! Good to see you again! How's the wrist, how's the playing? Is the Guild gone now?

David

1945 Gibson banner headstock J-45
2002 Taylor 614 LTD
2003 Martin HD28V
1962 Goya TS-5
1966 Epiphone FT112 Bard
1966 Gibson B45-12
1967 Gibson B25 12
1969 Gibson B25 12
1976 Guild F-112
2001 Guild F-212XL
1978 Guild G-312
1990 Guild JF-65 12
1990 Guild F-512
2003 Taylor 600 SPECce 12 string
2004 Taylor 855ce
2004 Taylor 855ce all koa upgrade
Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM

As others have stated, this is more about the player/buyer than any real objective difference that would matter to a listener. I say buy whatever makes you feel good when you play it.

While custom lutherie is a fairly recent development, I would also note that if you listed the 10 most significant American acoustic guitar recordings, probably none would have involved a boo-teek made guitar.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I haven't taken the time to read all the posts. What IS my impression is that factories worry about meeting a specification that worked well on a number of prototypes. This was Taylor's main contribution, IMO. They were able to quantify and reproduce specifications that worked well most of the time, somewhat well some of the time, and exceptionally well some of the time, while maintaining a signature tone. Martin has basically done the same thing. The good thing about this is that sometimes, you get a killer guitar, many times you get a very good guitar, and sometimes, you get a guitar that is "just okay".

A smaller factory, custom luthier, etc., is much more likely to take the individual characteristics of the individual pieces of wood into account on one particular guitar. This means that you are more likely to get the best the wood has to offer, assuming the luthier has that intention. In my experience, that is generally the case. It is also no guarantee that it will be a killer guitar. I've played Olsons that rocked me to death and some you could not pay me to own.

In the end, as others have said (assuming here) it's what feels and sounds good to YOU and not anyone else.

I have a Taylor GS-RS. Factory. I have Beneteau Concert Standard. Custom. I don't plan on ridding myself of either, because in their own rights, and to who I am as a player, both are incredibly amazing.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM

My two cents???

- A manufacturer strives to produce a multitude of consistently good instruments at a certain price point. 85% or so will sound very similar, will be considered good by the desired customer "group", the rest will either fall into the great or poor category. The thing is you are buying the Martin tone or the Taylor tone or the Gibson tone.

- The individual, small, private luthier/builder strives to make each guitar GREAT for the specific customer buying the guitar... how could they afford not to??? Much of this depends on the customer doing his or her homework and finding the right luthier, and the luthier asking the right questions to determine whether their unique aesthetic/tone will suit the customers needs thus rendering an instrument this particular customer considers great.

- Basically, i think large manufacturers are happy to produce a consistently good group of guitars, while the individual luthier strives to build a great guitar consistantly for each individal customer. Each has there place.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
While custom lutherie is a fairly recent development, I would also note that if you listed the 10 most significant American acoustic guitar recordings, probably none would have involved a boo-teek made guitar.
What would make you reach that conclusion (including a babied sig or standard model from Taylor, SCGC, or Martin made in a way that none of us could reasonably expect)?

And who exactly defines "significant"? And yet another question: would they have had a boutique guitar (as you put it but a term I truly dislike because it isn't a boutique... it's skill in building) had they wanted one? Many I would consider in this category went on to one, and while I agree that the guitar doesn't make the musician, there's nothing wrong with the musician wanting a guitar that he or she feels expresses what's inside better.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM

I guess Wade beat me to it-a great guitar is the one you have played and it doesn't matter how stellar the luthier and his reputatiion might be but you cannot guarantee that the guitar you have commisioned will sound the same as the one you fell in love with; THAT'S the one you should be buying!
I know this from expensive experience and no more commisions from me-if I can't play it first I ain't buying.

Andrew
Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Just curious as to why that list would be important to me as a potential guitar 'acquirer' in my making a decision to purchase or commission a guitar?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...While custom lutherie is a fairly recent development, I would also note that if you listed the 10 most significant American acoustic guitar recordings, probably none would have involved a boo-teek made guitar.
Hi HHP...
First of all, I don't see the correlation between popular recordings and the instrument I want to play for life.

Second, many artists don't necessarily record in studio with what they play in public. I know a lot of guitarists who show up with 5 or 6 guitars for studio projects. What people record with has little to do with the discussion of the differences between handbuilt and manufactured instruments...

Third, I don't think we could get most people to agree on what 10 are the most significant American acoustic guitar recordings...if you take my list, most of the ones I consider significant were recorded on handbuilt guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi HHP...
First of all, I don't see the correlation between popular recordings and the instrument I want to play for life.

Second, many artists don't necessarily record in studio with what they play in public. I know a lot of guitarists who show up with 5 or 6 guitars for studio projects. What people record with has little to do with the discussion of the differences between handbuilt and manufactured instruments...

Third, I don't think we could get most people to agree on what 10 are the most significant American acoustic guitar recordings...if you take my list, most of the ones I consider significant were recorded on handbuilt guitars.
Indeed; and surely the significance is in the song-not what it was played on.

Andrew
Old 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Indeed; and surely the significance is in the song-not what it was played on.
Hi Andrew...
I've deliberately chosen inferior instruments for recordings occasionally, just for the ''funky'' sound they sometimes add to a track or two.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM

Thanks a lot everyone. I've just spent a healthy amount of time over the last few months compiling a spreadsheet of winnowed luthiers from extensive research to determine with whom I'd like to work on a sight unseen and unplayed custom guitar. I have specific materials of construction, dimensions, nut width, string spacing and etc. I want from this guitar. I am currently finalizing the details with a luthier suggested in this forum. His pricing is very competitive with even the higher end models from the mass manufacturers. I'm also enough of a realist to know that someone like Bo Diddley can make a cigar box guitar sound great. So it really is more the talent of the player than the instrument. I'm spending money to help me SOUND and play better in hopes of helping me compensate for my vast deficiency in talent.
So perhaps I shouldn't have upgraded from the Yamaha FG-365SII to the Taylor 910 in the first place. And certainly I shouldn't be spending even more money on a customized guitar. All I really have to do is practice several hours a day (which I don't have) and maybe in a couple of decades I'll actually be a somewhat better player. Evidently, I'm laboring under the delusion that spending money on a guitar made by a small production luthier will help me overcome these shortcomings.
I don't care. I'm buying the guitar anyway because I can afford it, I want it and it's going to be fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion