The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Ha, you could make a killing with a raffle. I'd be in. I still love this one-almost as much as your limba one.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks Dave! That limba was some special wood.
I should clarify the "raffle" thing. I won't be selling tickets, it will be a thread where you say you want it, I put the names in a hat, pick one and the winner get a guitar for the cost of shipping. And maybe a Gator case if I'm feeling particularly generous!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 AM

I sold this guitar and offered a side port to the new owner free of charge. He accepted my offer. I think ports are fantastic. They allow the player to hear the true voice of the guitar and they change the playing experience for the better.
Here are a few pics of me hacking away at the side of this completed guitar.
First we need to mark the location and shape of the port:

Then we need to use some delicate tools to gently coax the wood out of the area where the port will live:

There, I fixed it!

Now to remove more wood so it looks more like an oval and not a circle:

Oh yeah! So pretty.
This pic looked in focus when I took it, but it is a bit fuzzy. Sorry. I can't go back and take another one. Anyway, now its starting to look better:

And the finished product just needs a bit more finish and away it goes to the new owner.

Thanks for looking.

Tony
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 AM

Looking good Tony!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 AM

Well - this one arrived last week on my porch and I couldnt be happier with it. Thanks Tony. I cant put this guitar down haha. Beautiful looking and sounds like angels singing. Ill post some pics and a "review" soon.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Thank you sir. Glad you like it!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM

Tony, I don't know how I missed seeing this, but catching up with it has been fun tonite. Nicely done, Amigo. You make finishing look easy. How difficult is it to level with brushing on the lacquer? How often do you do it? Can you run thru your schedule? You can email if you'd prefer.
I've not been a fan of Walnut on a guitar. I have made some small jewelry boxes with it, and love how easy it is to work. And now I AM becoming a fan of Walnut for backs and sides.
Can't wait to see your next one.
Bob
Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
Tony, I don't know how I missed seeing this, but catching up with it has been fun tonite. Nicely done, Amigo. You make finishing look easy. How difficult is it to level with brushing on the lacquer? How often do you do it? Can you run thru your schedule? You can email if you'd prefer.
Not Tony, but here's his finishing procedure.
http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewt...=10117&t=36174
Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 AM

The pink in Box elder is a very fugitive color. That is it will fade upon exposure to light. How do you intend on keeping that from happening? In 35 years of working with pink striped Box elder I have yet to find any coating that will stop this from happening.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM

This one is up for sale or trade if anyone is interested. Playing more bass than guitar now. Send me a message if interested. David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop