The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Lightbulb Replacement for Taylor V-cable?

Hi Everyone - I'm seeking a bit of advice.

For the last number of years I've been plugging in my guitar (which has a 1990's era Martin Gold Thinline pickup with 9V battery but no external controls) using a Taylor v-cable, which was made for active instruments, and had a volume knob so you could adjust output at the guitar.

Well, I finally killed the cable (aargh!) and have discovered that they don't make them anymore so I can't just buy a replacement. Does anyone else make a similar product that you would recommend?

I understand that another solution might be a volume pedal. If so, do you have a recommendation for that?

The guitar itself is a very old Taylor 510 from 1988, so it predates all of their electronics, hence the Martin pickup.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:42 AM

Guitarcenter appear to have them:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor/...ume-Control.gc
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-27-2018, 03:51 AM

Default Not at GC

Thanks - unfortunately it's on their website but listed as discontinued and they're selling off any remaining stock only at certain stores - no internet sales - unfortunately no stores within 100 miles of my house have it.

So does anyone know of a good alternative?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 AM

This will work with a regular guitar cable, but is a fairly high impedance audio taper pot:

http://www.bluestarmusic.com/Schatte...ol_p_1016.html

I swapped out the A500K pot with a B25K linear pot which works better for me with my active guitars. I don't think the pot change out is too tough but not a good first soldering project. Also they filled the insides with hot glue which makes disassembly difficult.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJo...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hK_...ew?usp=sharing
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-27-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian NY View Post
Thanks - unfortunately it's on their website but listed as discontinued and they're selling off any remaining stock only at certain stores - no internet sales - unfortunately no stores within 100 miles of my house have it.

So does anyone know of a good alternative?

Thanks!
If it was me, I would just phone one of the stores that has one and do a deal over the phone with them.....!
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 AM

I'd never seen that cable before, but you're right, it looks like it'll be really tough to get another one. And it'll probably be impossible to get another one in a few years when this one breaks.

I've always had good results with Ernie Ball volume pedals.

Do you actually adjust the volume of your guitar during a performance, or could you do with a pedal with boost and mute functions?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Cool This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
If it was me, I would just phone one of the stores that has one and do a deal over the phone with them.....!
That's what I'd do... tell them you want to buy a couple of them and make your best deal. Shipping would be nominal, depending upon how fast you need that cable.

The trouble with using a passive volume pedal (like the Ernie Ball) is that it will absolutely suck the tone from your guitar's output. I used one (as a mute when I switched between 6 and 12 string guitars) for years and never realized how much they altered my sound until I ran a good cable straight into my rig... I could scarcely believe the difference, prominently with the highs and secondly the lows...

If you really want a volume pedal that doesn't alter the signal drastically, check out what pedal steel players use... I believe you'll want a "powered" or active pedal, for starters.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Horizon cable made those V cables for Taylor. I recently purchased a replacement for my K&K equipped Taylor. Coffey Music in Westminster, Md. still had a couple left.
There is also a little device called the Little Black Box that you can plug into your guitar and then plug your cable into the LBB. It has a volume pot on it. I bought one from Appalachian bluegrass guitar shop in Catonsville, Md.
Good luck with your hunt,
Davidc
Old 03-28-2018, 01:17 PM

I suppose my question is: what do you get from the cable that you can't from an outboard preamp? There are a variety of preamp/DIs that have a stompable boost, EQ, and output volume available. These would probably be a more easily replaced option than an obscure cable with a dial on it.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 03-28-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:42 PM

If you're handy with a soldering gun you could make your own. Buy a small project box, male and female Jacks and a 25k potentiometer. Wire it up and you're good to go.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-30-2018, 07:42 AM

What you get is easy access to your volume, which is the point. That being said, there are not a lot of times when I actually do vary the volume, but it does come in handy.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:23 AM

Default yup

That was my reason too. Sometimes I'll go from fingerpicking to strumming and back again. I'm just not as loud when fingerpicking so it's nice to have a volume control to adjust things on the fly
Old 03-31-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Love my V-cable. Besides the volume control, it is great when you want to change guitars - there is an off (click) as well. I bought the cable to have volume control for a guitar with a passive pickup and found I didn't use it that way much - but I use it all the time for the on/off without "the pop."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
guitar cable, taylor, v-cable