The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 AM

Default Pop Filter

Sorry guys, if this is a silly question. Newly embarked into the world of recording... and I always wondered... Why don't professional musicians use pop filters (while performing)? Do they perform with such high-end microphones, that a pop filter isn't required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijou View Post
Sorry guys, if this is a silly question. Newly embarked into the world of recording... and I always wondered... Why don't professional musicians use pop filters (while performing)? Do they perform with such high-end microphones, that a pop filter isn't required?
Most pros are aware of the physical properties and limitations of the tools they use and adapt accordingly. Proper mic to mouth position and movement, when necessary, to eliminate "pops and splosives", is a technique that can be learned.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 AM

double post...

Last edited by K-vegas; 01-27-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijou View Post
Why don't professional musicians use pop filters (while performing)? Do they perform with such high-end microphones, that a pop filter isn't required?
My experience with live performances is that dynamic mic's don't require a pop filter so much. You still get 'pops' from vocal syllables but they are small and lost in the live mix. Some live performance mics I used even have some pop fiiltering built into mic - small piece of foam etc.

In a studio environment, 'pops' are highly noticable and the better the mic the more you have to guard for it, even on mics with lo cut switch. Mark
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
Most pros are aware of the physical properties and limitations of the tools they use and adapt accordingly. Proper mic to mouth position and movement, when necessary, to eliminate "pops and splosives", is a technique that can be learned.
Thanks guys - I guess one of the reasons I was curious was because I wanted to make my recordings as "real" as possible, as if you were in the same room with me, and without much (if any) editing.

I just figured, if the pros learn to sing into mics without pop filters? I should do the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM

Besides the "P Popping" another good reason to use a pop screen in front of a studio mic is to protect it from moisture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD