The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 arrived yesterday !!

FedEx pulled up late afternoon and I had enough time to install and play a little, so very limited experience but some first impressions...............

I created a Pro Tools boot partitions on my Windows 7 64 bit system so PT9 would not be fighting any other programs for resouces, very easy to do in Win7, including non-destructive resizing of existing partitions. So the PT9 partition has only WIN7, PT9 and antivirus SW for Internet update protection. Music files will dump to another 1 terabyte drive.

Upgraded from an MBox2 Pro, cost $249 to crossgrade versus $599 for the standalone package. Needed the Ilok and MBox serial number to authorize the new software. Installation took a while but no hickups, I did use the recommended system changes to optimize the PT9 partition.

My actual "play time" was very limited but I loaded the demo session and I can see the potential is amazing. Also there are "templates" to load ( acoustic artist, rock band, etc.) that pre-populate tracks (including midi) and I/0 settings, very cool and very powerful!!

The acoustic guitar singer/songwriter template (doing this from memory) had male/female tracks, drums, piano, a few guitar tracks, with effects, all good to go!!! Amazing to me, even though I am still clueless with this revision and need to learn the I/O, bussing, add-ins, basically all the set up controls, the templates had me recording in 2 minutes!! Awesome!!

Admittedly way overkill in many ways for me and probably most "casual" recording folks, but I am near retirement and want to make recording a serious hobby in a treated home studio.

The official manual (PDF download) is "only" 1246 pages!! Ouch!!!

Just scratched the surface barely but first impressions are two thumbs up and way more user friendly. Give me a few days and I'll post some songs..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Congrats. I suggest you turn off the anti-virus except when you are actually on the internet updating.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Will do, thanks.

I have sooooo much to learn.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

OK it will be great to here your experiences. I am much the same situation
Just retired from my day job last year.
I will be moving to PT 9 but not until next spring as we are spending the winter away from home and studio.
Alas one of the new features I could be using is the no hardware mixing ability, since I do have my laptop with me.
Speaking of templates, I hope that 9 still can use the "Stationary Pad" since that is what I use instead of templates.

Ill be following you progress. Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Some circumstances changed and I have as of last week started using PT 9 so far so good. Are you still liking it? I haven't had a chance yet to use the Auto Delay Compensation feature but am looking forward to it. So far the only issue is that IK Sample Tank didn't load the instruments (which is of course a third party issue) but I will resolve that on monday ( i hope ) . Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD