The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-08-2024, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Bowerman dreadnought build 2024

I got an email from Jayson last week, and it seems my build slot is on deck after he finishes up a couple of mandolins (though, I don't actually know how far along he is with those, so I'm not exactly sure what that means). Nevertheless, this is a little bit sooner than I expected.

The build is going to be a dreadnaught with spalted machiche B&S and torrified Adirondack top. Most of the cosmetic appointments are yet to be decided. I'm trying to resist just having him do the same things he did in my OM which turned out so well.

Here's what I know about machiche. It's a species in the lanchocarpus genus and is also called Black Cabbagebark that grows throughout the tropical Americas. Collings and Martin have both used it on a limited basis, Tim McKnight has built with it a couple times and says "Very Rosewood-ish sounding with lots of sustain." Bill Kraus told me that it "is very much like the mid to heavier weight rosewoods, nice tap tone" (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=662081). I was deciding between this and a set of granadillo, and Jayson thought that they were pretty close, but that the machiche was a bit glassier.

Here's the back we're using (I'm told this pic is the best color representation, the others being washed out by led lighting):

And I'm still a little on the fence about the sides. Here are the options... I was leaning towards the darker one (top) because I thought it would fit better with the spalting, but I'm kind of swinging to the lighter set (bottom). I've asked Jayson what he thinks will look better on the finished guitar, and waiting to hear back:

I learned in my last build (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=593967) that Jayson is not a take a picture at every stage builder, which is fine. But I'll pester him a bit now and again, and post what I get from him.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:16 AM

That back set is gonna make a killer looking guitar, Dan! As for the sides, I’m partial to the darker set. But I’m sure either set of sides will make a fine guitar. Looking forward to following along.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Fabulous back, very unique. Looks a little like a 70s haircut

I like what you're thinking on the side wood.

I hope you love this new Bowerman so much that you'll be willing to sell me the old one

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-09-2024, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sweet

The Bowerman 0012c I was caretaker of for a brief bit was awesome and still haunts my memories.

It was made for a gent who wanted it built as light and responsive as possible for gentle finger style. But it was happy with moderate whacking with my Dunlop thumb pick and one Fred Kelly reverse fingerpick too.

What a sweetheart it is. Beth LOVES it.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-17-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
The Bowerman 0012c I was caretaker of for a brief bit was awesome and still haunts my memories.

It was made for a gent who wanted it built as light and responsive as possible for gentle finger style. But it was happy with moderate whacking with my Dunlop thumb pick and one Fred Kelly reverse fingerpick too.

What a sweetheart it is. Beth LOVES it.

Cheers

Paul
I do LOVE this Jayson Bowerman 00 that I am blessed to play. It is an amazing instrument that responds to my light finger style touch and it's such so easy to play. My friend Steve Rankin is an excellent guitarist and he says this guitar plays itself... The tone is really warm also. It's a phenomenal instrument! Maybe some day I'll bring it down to San Diego to visit Paul : )

And I am so pleased to see a Bowerman thread here! Please keep us informed as you get progress updates.

My best to everyone-

beth

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop