The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-17-2024, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Well, I would go with Steve Kinnaird - my 00 B&W Ebony or Mark Hatcher - my Pina torrefied Maple, both around 14 inches lower bout give or take….but John Kinnaird has the right genetics as well as Tom pointed out!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 01-17-2024, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Having been to multiple guitar shows over the last several years, I would venture to guess that the 00 size is one of the most prevalent sizes. Pretty much every builder who frequents this subforum—and many more who don’t—could build you a stellar 00 or 0. I would highly recommend going to a show or two—the Artisan Guitar Show is coming up in April, La Conner in May, and the Fretboard Summit in August. You will easily find several dozen guitars at each show that fit your description. Playing the guitars and meeting the people who build them is a great way to focus your search (or thoroughly confuse you, but it’s a good confusion ).

I missed that when I posted earlier—that’s very funny!
As an example of what I was referring to above, here is a gallery of photos that I took at the Artisan Guitar Show last year:

Artisan Guitar Show 2023

I realize that it’s a lot to sift through, but you can see how many parlor, 0 and 00 guitars there were. I can’t imagine finding more guitars under one roof in that size to demo than at a guitar show. And getting to meet and speak to the builders is a huge bonus.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Who are some of the better known small body guitar builders? Outlined a few things below that are important to me.

Generally want to stay around 14” lower bout - really want a comfy “couch guitar” - think 0/00/L1 size
12 fretter / short scale
Primarily strummer / light picker with some finger picking (maybe 15-20%)
Definitely want to go rosewood tone woods as everything else I have is hog
Budget: 6-10k(big driver is Brazilian or not)
In my experience most builders have their own signature tones. Think Martin versus Goodall versus Taylor for example. I see you are playing a Kopp and a couple of Gibsons. Is that your preferred tonal direction, or are you open to going down a different path?
Old 01-18-2024, 06:22 AM

I feel that Ed Claxton should be mentioned. I own one of his Malabar models, and it’s wonderful. The size is between 00 and 000.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

The Kopp RJ I own is my favorite of the three Kopps I own…..and the last guitar I’d ever part with…..I know you worked with Kevin to build your K-35….unless you’re set on going with another builder it might be a good idea to give him a jingle and explore another build..

Last edited by J Patrick; 01-18-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher Piña Model

Canuck7 was nice enough to mention me and my Piña model which has a 14" lower bout. This has been a very popular model for me. Here are pictures of some of the ones I've made. I'll put links to the Flickr picture albums for each so you can see more details and some of the build process:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/283528...7641530243904/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/283528...7637133212453/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/283528...7683130924155/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/283528...7711742330362/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/283528...7713630641576/

I've been particularly happy with the results I've been getting with these torrified Hard Maple models I've made:

This wood looks great, sounds great, and is relatively inexpensive.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 01-18-2024, 09:29 AM

I've only played maybe a dozen good quality small guitars but the best I've heard is Santa Cruz's Eric Skye model. The one I played was heavenly.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

A couple thoughts...

A CF Martin 0 is 13-1/2', a 00 is 14-1/8' and a Gibson L00 is 14-7/8" in the lower bout. Custom builders will make guitars with their own names, slightly different sizes and plantillas across this size range. A $6,000 to $10,000 price point will limit the universe of builders who you can consider. Within that price range, I would strongly consider you reach out to Stephen Kinnaird:

https://www.stephenkinnaird.com/

He has a 00 model that you should discuss with him. He builds fine guitars and would be within your target price range. I own a number of small bodied guitars by other builders whom I could recommend but I suspect that they may exceed your price constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Who are some of the better known small body guitar builders? Outlined a few things below that are important to me.

Generally want to stay around 14” lower bout - really want a comfy “couch guitar” - think 0/00/L1 size
12 fretter / short scale
Primarily strummer / light picker with some finger picking (maybe 15-20%)
Definitely want to go rosewood tone woods as everything else I have is hog
Budget: 6-10k(big driver is Brazilian or not)
Old 01-18-2024, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Jack Lalane springs to mind.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:54 AM

Thank you all!! Tons of great feedback here to comb through!
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s
Old 01-18-2024, 01:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

I appreciate the kind remarks about our work.
But there are so many fine builders now, doing truly remarkable work, that your quest is both difficult and easy. Difficult in the sense of being overwhelmed by possibilities, but then easy in the sense of being successful.
The sheer number of luthiers who can hit it out of the park for you is amazing.
Here’s to your home run!

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 01-18-2024, 04:34 PM

I am having a Larrivee OO -03 mahogony ,14 fret ,cutaway built . But looking at these Kinnard guitars ... WHOA! Showstoppers!!!
Old 01-18-2024, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Small body builders?

One important thing to consider - age of luthier…!
The younger ones can be cheaper (or not), but those that have babies or young children can often slow down the build, sometimes significantly!
I’ve had one luthier whose wait list was 3 years- after a child it lengthened to 6 years, and you might not see the guitar for 7 years! Another’s build time lengthened to more than a year. And another luthier build stretched out to a year and a half once they got started…
It’s totally understandable, and as I’m a pediatrician - I totally endorse the delay!!
Just another factor!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar

Last edited by canuck7; 01-18-2024 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:59 PM

Would like to say that my sense is that there are a number of luthiers who are more than capable of building great small body guitars and a number of great suggestions have already been made. I will 2nd the recommendation of a Santa Cruz guitar. Based on my playing a PJ, a short scale 000 12 fret, and an H13. I would also like to 2nd the recommendation to consider an RJ by Kevin Kopp. Fantastic and most comfortable design. I have a very similar guitar made by David Flammang. Love that guitar. Perfect fit for me and it has a wonderful sound. In addition, I fell into a Rockbridge 00 this year and it would fit the bill for most anyone. The recommendation to attend a show really appeals to me as well. Get to see and play a variety of instruments and meet luthiers and players. My experience at The Artisan Show a few years back taught me a load about what’s out there and what I like, and it gave me the opportunity to meet and develop confidence in many luthiers. Going to shops is also something worth considering. Best of luck in your search.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-18-2024, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Brook Guitars in Devon, UK make some wonderful small guitars - I have the Torridge which is a 00 and a Lyn which is a slightly different 00 with a cutaway. They're world class instruments, and even after paying shipping and import duties, they're prices are below most boutique builders in the US.

Brookguitars.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brook_1.jpg (35.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg NB1.jpg (43.9 KB, 111 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop