The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-17-2023, 07:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thanks Jim for the great thread. Loved it all and echo all the nice things you said about the crew especially Billie!

I am pretty sure I know who owns that Koa guitar and Mr. Nemoman is gonna be pretty happy with that I am sure!!!

I look forward to seeing the final pics and hearing the video!
Thanks Tom! My friend Scott said he got a chance to see you and Kathy yesterday. He had such a great time with you two and playing the guitars in your collection was an exceptional treat. He said he enjoyed playing the one you built at your student build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Great job, Jim--I know you'll treasure this guitar and the experience for the rest of your days! Thanks for sharing and helping me to relive my student build experience--Steve and Ryan are the best! And Billie too!

And Tom--I will be pretty happy with my koa build--but that ain't it!

Mine is made from the sister set to that one and has a venetian cutaway!

Enjoy the wait now, Jim!
Thanks Nemoman! I followed the build thread on your Koa guitar! That one is going to be special. Steve had both necks for the two koa guitars done in their clean room. I don't know which one is yours but they were both exceptionally beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing yours completing and hearing it played.

I don't know if I can enjoy the wait! it was so hard leaving the guitar behind
Old 11-17-2023, 07:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whitman View Post
That’s a real accomplishment! It’s going to be hard to wait for your new guitar to come back from finishing.
Thanks Joe, the wait will be difficult! Hopefully all the holidays will help make the time fly by!
Old 11-17-2023, 10:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Jim, many thanks for the generous praise. Your enthusiasm might have clouded your judgment about Ryan and myself, but your comments about Billie are spot on. We had a great time with you in the class, and believe your guitar will be a looker. The body arrived at Tony’s today, always a good thing. And the first coats of finish have been applied to the neck.
So—It’s. Gonna. Happen.

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 11-18-2023, 01:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Jim, many thanks for the generous praise. Your enthusiasm might have clouded your judgment about Ryan and myself, but your comments about Billie are spot on. We had a great time with you in the class, and believe your guitar will be a looker. The body arrived at Tony’s today, always a good thing. And the first coats of finish have been applied to the neck.
So—It’s. Gonna. Happen.
Thanks Steve, that is exciting news! I would love for you to do a video recording of you playing the guitar when it's all done. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!
Old 11-22-2023, 02:35 PM

Great thread, Jim! Can’t wait to see the guitar, and play it!!
Old 01-02-2024, 07:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default New photos

Steve sent some progress pictures of the guitar body with the first coats of finish at Tony's shop. i'm getting excited for this guitar to be completed!!

Old 01-03-2024, 07:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Boy, that looks great, Jim! Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2024, 11:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Boy, that looks great, Jim! Happy New Year!
Thanks Dave!
Old 01-03-2024, 02:51 PM

That baby really came to life with some finish. Congrats, it will be back before you know it (not really, I am just trying to make you feel better lol)!
Old 01-03-2024, 03:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
That baby really came to life with some finish. Congrats, it will be back before you know it (not really, I am just trying to make you feel better lol)!
Thanks Tom!

I made the mistake of reviewing the other student builds time to completion from the point they got these pics. It looks like I have another 6 to 8 weeks to wait. But thanks for trying to make me feel better!
Old 01-03-2024, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Looks great, Jim--the excitement is building I'm sure!

Like Tom said--it won't be long now, but not really!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-03-2024, 03:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looks great, Jim--the excitement is building I'm sure!

Like Tom said--it won't be long now, but not really!
Thanks, I recently saw the Kinnaird demo of your Adi/Padauk student build guitar. That guitar sounds awesome. I can only hope mine will sound that good. In the mean time I will continue to patiently wait for the next photos from Steve and Ryan.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default It's back from the finisher

The guitar is back from Tony and is ready for Steve and Ryan to attach the neck and bridge and set it up! Now I'm getting close to having a new guitar!

Old 01-27-2024, 10:40 AM

Looks fantastic! The abalone purfling and rosette are stunning against the top. I have really never liked Mahogany, that is to say, until now. That plum pudding pattern does look good enough to eat! And to think, it came from John and B.I.G. Another example of the ripple effect of the show LOL! I aim to serve!!!! HAHAHA
Old 01-27-2024, 09:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default BIG treats come in all types

Quote:
Looks fantastic! The abalone purfling and rosette are stunning against the top. I have really never liked Mahogany, that is to say, until now. That plum pudding pattern does look good enough to eat! And to think, it came from John and B.I.G. Another example of the ripple effect of the show LOL! I aim to serve!!!! HAHAHA
Thanks Tom!

This is a guitar that was born out of the BIG shows! I met Steve and Ryan at BIG III, saw some student builds, and signed up for the student build course. At BIG IV I saw your student build and decided I also wanted to build a deep bodied OM. At the BIG shows there is an awesome food truck on Friday and Texas BBQ on Saturday. I left on Sunday with some Plum Pudding Mahogany for desert!!!

All of the builds I have done to date have been out of rosewoods or figured walnuts. I had bought a Cocobolo set from John for this student build, but I found out Ryan is allergic to Cocobolo. John had this plum pudding mahogany set for sale at BIG IV so I picked it up thinking it would be beautiful under finish and that it would be nice to build my first mahogany guitar under the tutelage of Steve and Ryan. The Student build course and the figured mahogany did not disappoint!

It will be great to have a mahogany/sitka guitar in my collection and to hear a different guitar than what I have built. I'm looking forward to going to the BIG V show in September. My favorite guitar show! I'll have to bring this guitar along to complete its journey.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop