The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-15-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I just went through my emails.

Kopp got the letter from Gibson mid October, 2016... right when I was placing my order.
Yes. That letter went out during Henry Juskewitz's watch. The current management team (but with a recent CEO change) took over in November of 2018. More letters went out after Agnesi's same old wine in a brand new bottle video.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:06 AM

Count me in !

I own a fan-ta-stic F35 and my belief now is that Dale has been a top builder for a long time despite his young age. My guitar was made in 2014 (Gibson headstock).

The man is a pleasure to deal with too. I have owned modern "inspired by" slopes in the past, two Santa Cruz VS and a Collings CJ and have been lucky to play a couple vintage Gibsons too. My F35 is the best of both worlds.

DUPONT - AU45 (Swiss Spruce / Honduran Mahogany)
DE JONGE - SSS (German Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
FAIRBANKS - F35 (Red Spruce / Honduran Mahogany)
Old 11-20-2023, 07:33 AM

That's a very handsome guitar! Well my F-35 is almost two years old now and the sound it makes keeps getting bigger and bigger. It's amazing to hear it as it blooms. I hadn't played it in several weeks because I was heavily involved with birthing my first build, but when I picked it up again yesterday, I was floored.

Right now, the strings i have liked the most have been DR Sunbeams. The Thomastik-Infelds were incredible, but their T-I's technique of wrapping at the ball end of the string creates issues with fit in the bridge pin slot. I am not willing to open up the slot too much just for this one brand.

And Dale's getting older! He hasn't hit 50 yet, but it's coming on fast. OF course, pumping out IRIS Guitars alongside Adam Buchwald may have prematurely aged him, but it pays the bills. Almost time for me to make that pilgrimage to Burlington that I have been threatening for the last two years. It's just far enough away that to really enjoy it, it needs an overnight trip.

I know that most luthiers don't get a chance to hear their creations down the road, and i would love to play it for Dale.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:35 AM

Guitars remain incredibly mysterious to me. Seems like the lighter they're built, the less wood they're made of, the bigger they sound !

PS : 50 is the new 20

DUPONT - AU45 (Swiss Spruce / Honduran Mahogany)
DE JONGE - SSS (German Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
FAIRBANKS - F35 (Red Spruce / Honduran Mahogany)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I can’t believe I never came across this great thread!!!

I love my Kal Gal. I’ve played catch and release with 50 or so Gibson round shoulder hog slopes, from all eras, for 20 years or so before buying the Kal Gal. Haven’t bought any since.

Here’s a build link from the AGF member that commissioned mine.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=527981
1944 Gibson LG-2; 2011 Gibson Advanced Jumbo Short Scale; Baxendale 1940’s Gene Autry Melody Ranch (H610); 1985 Guild G45 (Hank Williams Jr. Signature); 1986 Martin D-16K; 2018 Fairbanks Kalamazoo Gal Tribute Southern Jumbo; 1974 Martin D-35; and a CA Cargo.

Last edited by Nid2007; 01-26-2024 at 11:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop