The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 02:35 PM

Default Recommendation to Taylor 322e owners

The Taylor 322e 12 fret is a great guitar and I really like mine. It´s exceptionally balanced and warm.
But the only thing I´ve been missing is some hi-end shimmer. Just a bit more treble would make it almost perfect.
So today I changed the elixir phosphor bronze to Elixir 80/20s. And man, it´s almost exactly what i wished for. It´s the same brand, gauge and coating. So the setup is still perfect but they are more open in the highs.

I know Taylor changed from 80/20s some years ago and now uses phosphor bronze on all their guitars. But it would be interesting to hear what their opinion would be about this on the 322e.

Anyway, I highly recommend giving them a try if you own a 322e!
Old 02-06-2020, 05:51 PM

Ha! When I first read your sentence about wanting a bit more shimmer, I thought of a string change and you nailed it. Glad you posted this because I switch back and forth from Elixir Phosphor Mediums and Martin FX750 Phosphor Bronze Medium which I tried because... um… er… Tommy Emmanuel likes them, lol. But it turns out that they are brighter with a touch less bass but they sound good for country and flatpicking. For fingerstyle I still love the Elixir Phosphor, and they last WAY long. The Martins go yucky pretty quick, PLUS, I can't find them anymore, I have about 8 sets left. SO I'm going to try the 80/20s and see how they go. Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 02-06-2020, 08:43 PM

Thanks for recommendation. I was after the same thing. I just tried a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze for more highs. I actually like them. Will try the elixr’s next.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion