The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-17-2024, 03:53 AM

Default Blues scales

Does anybody have a recommended] book on scales for blues covering all keys and positions. I know you can transpose down the neck but it would be nice to get them also with pentatonic thrown in two. Many books would not show a c scale at the 1st fret for instance and many are very brief 30 pages or so in total.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey1959 View Post
Does anybody have a recommended] book on scales for blues covering all keys and positions. I know you can transpose down the neck but it would be nice to get them also with pentatonic thrown in two. Many books would not show a c scale at the 1st fret for instance and many are very brief 30 pages or so in total.
https://www.amazon.com/Pentatonic-Bl.../dp/1502941856
Old 03-17-2024, 09:47 AM

A good goal. It's kept many artists busy for a lifetime. The Rob Silver book looks good.

A few thoughts:

As you say, they're the same in every key. So I'm wondering why you want pictures of them in every key. It makes sense for keys and horns, where the scales are different in every key. But fretted instruments' advantage is that scales are moveable. Not a big deal. Just checking.

Also, keep in mind that there are more than one so-called blues scale, all variations or blends of the major and minor pentatonic scales. Southern rock, swing, Chicago, voodoo, and Delta, for instance, all sound different partly because the scales are different. And lots of artists invent their own. So don't settle for one scale. None is definitive.

A last thought: I've sometimes drawn my own fretboard scale diagrams. That way, I had exactly the information I wanted.

---------

PS - A post-last thought: Here's a trick. To see what the scale looks like down at the nut, use a piece of paper to cover all the frets to the left of the one where the root note on the low E string. The piece of paper becomes the nut, and you have an uncluttered view of the scale.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 03-17-2024 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:15 AM

Quote:
This information exist for FREE online. Search for the CAGED system for pentatonic scales. The blues scale = The pentatonic scale + b5.

Visit my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwR...J_vozU3kGd_YUA
Old 03-18-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD18DK View Post
This information exist for FREE online. Search for the CAGED system for pentatonic scales.

Bailey wants all keys. Don't know whether that exists. Since the shapes are the same in every key, I asked Bailey to talk about why all that is needed. Awaiting reply.

The blues scale = The pentatonic scale + b5.
Yup! That's one of 'em!

PS to Bailey: I notice that the Silver link doesn't number the frets. That means that every diagram is equally good for every key. As I mentioned, the fret to the left of the low-E (R) symbol can be considered the nut.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

bailey1959 : It's hard to tell how far along someone is when it comes to learning to play the guitar so if this 'old hat' to you my apologies but maybe someone else out there will get something out of this.

Scales can be 'folded'. Example of a C major folded scale. C, E, D, F, E, G, F, A, G, B, A, C, B, D, C. Learn to play it up and down.

Also learning different scales is important but can be boring. I find arpeggios are more fun to play and sound more musical. Lots of dominant 7 arpeggios in blues solos. Play them over a standard 12 bar blues backing track. IOW in E maj play Edom7 arpeggios over the I chord E, Adom7 arpeggios over the IV chord A, and Bdom7 arpeggios over the V chord B. Simple but opens up possibilities I think. Play around with different arpeggios and find what works for you.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes : Scales & Modes: Easy to Read, Easy to Play; For Every Instrument (Easy-to-Use), by Alan Brown & Jake Jackson.
Amazon $15. Great ,simple, logical. (Get the spiral bound version!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write