The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2023, 01:23 PM

Default Yamaha FG830 with Elixir Strings Sounds Awful

Hello All, new to the forum but have been an old reader for a while.

Recently bought a Yamaha FG830, all I have to say is I absolutely love it. The quality, the sound, the details, finishing touches are all remarkable for its price.

I liked the stock sound but about a week ago I was at my local Guitar Center and decided to buy a couple of goodies. I bought the Elixir Nanoweb PB 12/53 since everyone recommended them, my thought was it would sound better but it completely changed the tone of the guitar. It sounds metallicky, the best way I can describe it is the feedback after you strum the guitar is giving a metallic sound.

Im not sure if thats the way the Elixir PBs sound or if maybe the acoustics of the guitar don't match those strings so I wanted to ask the more experienced people here if they have first hand experience with this issue?

From what ive gathered it seems the Yamaha FG830 comes stock with Yamaha 80/20 Bronze strings. My question is, will other 80/20 bronze strings sound like the stock ones or is it best to repurchase the stock strings?

Last edited by ONSADE; 09-25-2023 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 09-25-2023, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

It could be that the strings just need some time to break in...oftentimes new strings can be super bright. Are you using a pick? Try changing picks and see if there is a difference in tone. I know that when I use my Blue Chip pick it's a totally different (and better) tone than most other picks I have.

I know that in the past I used to find their stock strings for sale online (forgot where) at a really decent price (a few bucks a pack). Now I only see on Amazon and ebay from third party sellers at an outrageous price.

You might try experimenting with different strings to see which you prefer on the Yamaha.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
It could be that the strings just need some time to break in...oftentimes new strings can be super bright. Are you using a pick? Try changing picks and see if there is a difference in tone. I know that when I use my Blue Chip pick it's a totally different (and better) tone than most other picks I have.

I know that in the past I used to find their stock strings for sale online (forgot where) at a really decent price (a few bucks a pack). Now I only see on Amazon and ebay from third party sellers at an outrageous price.

You might try experimenting with different strings to see which you prefer on the Yamaha.
The sound im hearing is not even using a pick, just my fingers. Its like the strings themselves are producing a metal noise.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONSADE View Post
The sound im hearing is not even using a pick, just my fingers. Its like the strings themselves are producing a metal noise.
IDK I have never had that problem with Elixir strings. Perhaps have the tech at GC have a look at it, get his opinion.

I checked the Yamaha website spec chart and it says those FS50BT strings are discontinued but they also use D'addario XT. You might want to try a set of those.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs

Last edited by Blueser100; 09-25-2023 at 03:09 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-25-2023, 03:07 PM

I just put Martin Monel Retro strings on mine and I like what I’m hearing.
The light MM12 ones. Might want to give those a try.
Old 09-25-2023, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

i used daddario nickel bronze with good effect, but monels should work well too.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
IDK I have never had that problem with Elixir strings. Perhaps have the tech at GC have a look at it, get his opinion.

I checked the Yamaha website spec chart and it says those FS50BT strings are discontinued but they also use D'addario XT. You might want to try a set of those.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs
I looked everywhere for this information, thank you!

Im guessing its the Daddario XT 80/20 Bronze?
Old 09-26-2023, 01:28 AM

I use phosphor bronze on all my acoustics, including my FG830. It sounds great with those. I have never liked the sound of coated strings, but I know that many do swear by them.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:44 AM

I'm using D'Addario Guitar Strings 10/47 and the sound has remained consistently good.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:38 AM

I use Martin Lifespan’s, 12’s on my 830 & like the tone.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:39 AM

Another way to describe the sound is like a strong zing feedback when I strum the strings. Sounds like the stock Taylors strings but not in a good way.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONSADE View Post
Another way to describe the sound is like a strong zing feedback when I strum the strings. Sounds like the stock Taylors strings but not in a good way.
That's what most new strings sound like until they break in. Problem is that Elixirs take a long time to lose that zing. Some like it, some don't.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:51 AM

PBs string sound like that. Especially on a all laminate guitar. I suggest some 80/20 strings to tame down the metallic sound.
Old 09-26-2023, 11:09 AM

I gave my observations here several months ago regarding the free Elixir's I was sent for review.
After break in of several weeks, the G and D strings were still off...never could actually explain what I was hearing but the guitar was out of balance tone wise.
Well, those strings are still on the guitar and they sound just fine to me now. Maybe they settled in or I got used to them.
I still will not buy them as they are too slippery for me but I have zero issues with the sound.
Martin 00-18. Every string I have tried (5 different brands) sound good. I guess it is a pretty good guitar 😀 Except Martin Retro's...they were simply awful. Go figure, I like these on my other guitars.

We are an odd bunch aren't we?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
elixir, fg830, nanoweb, yamaha