The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2023, 11:26 AM

Default Yamaha AC5R or Furch Blue/Green OM

I've been looking at the Yamaha AC5R and Furch OM blue and green series models. Has anyone has experience with these models? and if so, which do you think is better? They have all sounded great from videos I have watched and having issues deciding between them. I would try in store but can't find anywhere that sells them close by.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:55 PM

Though I haven't owned an AC5R, I have owned an AC3R, (Gen1), an A5R (Gen2), A1M, and currently own an AC3M Deluxe, and A4K, and A5M.

The A series necks are amazing. Very fast. A little thin, but if you play electric guitar you'll love it! If you need more room, go for something with a wider nut.

Every A series guitar I've owned has sounded really good acoustically. The A5R was probably the top 2 or 3 sounding guitars I've ever played and I own an LLX26. It's sound quality is up there in that realm.

Plugged in, I do not like the large diaphragm condenser mic model Yamaha puts in the preamp for the A3/5R and AC3/5R. That's the only reason I sold my A5R. The mahogany models get a small diaphragm condenser mic model which really checks the box for me as I play plugged in 99% of the time.

I can't say anything about a Furch, but the A series guitars truly are a great stage/studio guitar.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:47 PM

I bought a Taylor 324ce in January. I liked it but didn't love it. Bought a Yamaha AC5R shortly after. I kept the Yamaha and returned the Taylor. I don't have any experience with Furch. I love my AC5R though.

Edit: My AC5R needed a setup when I got it. (The Taylor did not) After that it was great.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwtech View Post
I bought a Taylor 324ce in January. I liked it but didn't love it. Bought a Yamaha AC5R shortly after. I kept the Yamaha and returned the Taylor. I don't have any experience with Furch. I love my AC5R though.

Edit: My AC5R needed a setup when I got it. (The Taylor did not) After that it was great.
Funny. I've also got a 324ce. Love its acoustic sound. Not so much the ES2 though.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Funny. I've also got a 324ce. Love its acoustic sound. Not so much the ES2 though.
It sounded great acoustic, didn't like the electronics and found out I prefer a thinner nut width.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The A series necks are amazing. Very fast. A little thin, but if you play electric guitar you'll love it! If you need more room, go for something with a wider nut.

Every A series guitar I've owned has sounded really good acoustically.

Plugged in, I do not like the large diaphragm condenser mic model Yamaha puts in the preamp for the A3/5R and AC3/5R. That's the only reason I sold my A5R. The mahogany models get a small diaphragm condenser mic model which really checks the box for me as I play plugged in 99% of the time. ...
What he said!

I have played a few Furches, very nice guitars, but they have nothing on the A 3-5 series. Agree the neck was z touch thin, but it had a nice shaped neck that transited nicely. I had an AC3M DLX model, after I fiddled with the setup and put some Silk and Steel strings on, it had great voicing, great projection, and the mahogany sound was really something -- and a steal of a value. And I really liked the 'ribbon mic' model (better than the condenser model). But tweaked and plugged, it was great guitar.

Alas, I sold it to pick up my WY1TS.

IMHO (and it is just that), the Yamahas and Alvarez's are hard-to-beat values.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
furch, furch om, yamaha, yamaha ac5r