The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-24-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Captive Audience!

We've been offered a gig at a local women's maximum security prison and I'm just not sure if we are the right fit for this element. Our trio consists of myself on acoustic and electric guitar, a keyboard player, a percussionist and we all sing. We do some covers and some original music, most of its pretty groovy stuff, but I'm just not sure what to expect from 3,000 or so incarcerated women.

We have been assured that it will be a very enthusiatic crowd, regardless of our material and or performance. That in itself is kinda scary. Has anyone else ever performed in a comparable situation? It seems like it might be fun and maybe we'll even cover a Johhny Cash tune. , but I must admit I'm feeling a little intimidated by the idea. Let me know what you all think, we need to give them an answer by Monday.

'Cat
'02 Baby Maple
'78 Martin HD28
Old 08-24-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcat View Post

We have been assured that it will be a very enthusiastic crowd, regardless of our material and or performance.

'Cat
I think, this pretty much sums it up. I'm sure to forget about their daily 'grind', the women more than welcome some entertainment as change of pace.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My experience in Atlanta Federal Pen was excellent. The audience was very appreciative and demonstrative and we had all the local roadies we wanted. The inmates really appreciate those who will take the time and make the effort to "go inside". Even the guards were appreciative and helpful.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 AM

Be ready to have them inventory EVERY little adaptor, screwdriver, cable, etc. when you go in and come out. It can be a tortuous process. And DON"T LOSE ANYTHING OR THEY WILL NEVER LET YOU OUT!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Play Folsom Prison Blues.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM

I was in a Christian band at one time and we considered this a ministry opportunity. We decided to make it simple: no drums, no PA system, no bass rig. Just 4 guys playing acoustic guitars. I didn't want to have to drag everything in and out of a prison.

It was a good experience. Would I do it again? I'm not really sure, but I'm a real wimp too!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 AM

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sounds like a lot of fun.

If you decide to turn it down, let me know. I'll be happy to cover for you

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post

If you decide to turn it down, let me know. I'll be happy to cover for you
My feeling too. I would have absolutely no apprehension about playing in a woman's prison. I think it's a great idea.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 AM

Back when I use to sing and play in a Southern Gospel group, we use to go to the prisons on occasion. They were usually some of our best audiences. It was fun to do - but kind of weird. Going in, having the guards frisk you - for real! Lugging equipment across the yard with the fences and gates and razor wire, etc. Rooms are locked - which means you'll be locked in with them. Sure makes you appreciate the other side of the fence. Interestingly, the maximum security rating doesn't necessarily mean these are the worst of the worst as far as crimes are concerned. It has to do with how they perform in the prison system. We went to a fairly low security prison - but still, we were locked in a small room with murders, rapists, etc. They just performed well in the prison system. It will change you.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:04 PM
"Big Daddy"

I would say go for it. It would very likely be a welcomed break from their daily monotony! If this were a "high risk" situation, you would not be getting into the prison at all!

Beside's it would look great on your "bands" resume to say that you did a concert in a prison. If you could play for that audience, you could play just about anywhere!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Thanks to all for the the replies. Although the decision is not entirely up to me, I'm leaning towards giving it a shot. My only concern is whether our material is a good fit for the "venue". A crowd starved for entertainment might be looking for more of a full band sound. Apparently there was a 5-piece rock band that was the first choice but they didn't pass the background check. I just hope there's no invasive cavity searches involved! That would be a deal breaker.

'Cat
'02 Baby Maple
'78 Martin HD28
Old 08-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
Me, too. Probably be a real treat for them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell