The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM

Default Strymon Blue Sky or Neunaber Seraphim for Acoustic?

Thinking about the Strymon blue sky or the Neunaber Seraphim Shimmer Pedal for my Acoustic pedal board. Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:11 AM

Both have their fans !

I’d find a decent store and go and audition both. There’s sometimes a pony to a store you can physically visit!
Martin J40
Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 AM

I have the strymon flint. and love the reverb.
They are good quality.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM

I use the Flint for reverb, and I don't like the Reverb on the Blue sky, but the shimmer is good, but for just shimmer $299 is too much. The TC Hall of Fame 2 , Boss RV-6, and Line 6 verbszilla have shimmer and better reverbs for less money.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Neunaber Immerse pedal has been updated to MK2. Check it out.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I've got the Neunaber Wet Reverb which I program as a Seraphim. Excellent shimmer reverb. No experience with the Strymon pedals. Very nice from everything I've read but way too $$$ for me. Even the Neunaber I bought used.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Neunaber Immerse pedal has been updated to MK2. Check it out.
Is the MK2 update more reverbs?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I've got the Neunaber Wet Reverb which I program as a Seraphim. Excellent shimmer reverb. No experience with the Strymon pedals. Very nice from everything I've read but way too $$$ for me. Even the Neunaber I bought used.
So if I get the Wet, I can make it a seraphim?

Can I get the seraphim and make it a Wet?

I'm pretty intrigued with the Neunaber stuff at this point. The immerse looks pretty cool too. I like that the Shimmer can be turned on and off, but still have the basic reverb on. I would't want Shimmer on everything, but I would probably have the reverb always on.

In that case, maybe the seraphim would be a better choice. Does the reverb on the seraphim with the shimmer turned off sound as good as the original Wet Reverb?

So many choices. I just want a great reverb with a shimmer that can be turned on and off.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-21-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 AM
Guest 829

Just got the Strymon Bigsky and I can attest that the shimmer and reverbs are breathtaking. In my view both companies are brilliant and the decision might be best made on how flexible you want to be with the sounds. If you want to dial in a variety of reverbs and have them in presets then the Strymon is king. That said, in a live situation you might just have the one reverb or shimmer so the Neunaber might be best.

I went for the Strymon purely to be able to mess with different sounds and experiment but it still functions as a gorgeous reverb pedal.

And on another note I have also just got the Strymon DIG. The delays have knocked me out. I’ve had Boss and TC in the past but this DIG seems to deliver a much better quality effect.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I use the Flint for reverb, and I don't like the Reverb on the Blue sky, but the shimmer is good, but for just shimmer $299 is too much. The TC Hall of Fame 2 , Boss RV-6, and Line 6 verbszilla have shimmer and better reverbs for less money.
You can get a shimmer of sorts with the flint.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
So if I get the Wet, I can make it a seraphim?

Can I get the seraphim and make it a Wet?

I'm pretty intrigued with the Neunaber stuff at this point. The immerse looks pretty cool too. I like that the Shimmer can be turned on and off, but still have the basic reverb on. I would't want Shimmer on everything, but I would probably have the reverb always on.

In that case, maybe the seraphim would be a better choice. Does the reverb on the seraphim with the shimmer turned off sound as good as the original Wet Reverb?

So many choices. I just want a great reverb with a shimmer that can be turned on and off.
Yes! You can program any Neunaber pedal to be any other Neunaber pedal quite easily with a free program. Additionally, you can buy their expander pedal that allows you to program up to 8 different Neunaber pedal profiles. So you could could 4 different shimmers, 3 chorus and one wet reverb profile or literally any combination you can think of.

The Expander pedal is small, links directly to the Neunaber pedal with a single cable that also give it power. I played around a bit with it but since I only use the shimmer on a few songs (and the built-in reverb from the Boss VE-8 for everything else) I don't use the expander much.

I did a review on it. Click on the review link down in my sig line and scroll down to find the full review.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

To further complicate things for you have a look at the Ventris Reverb. Same class as the Big Sky soundwise but much easier to use in my experience.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 10-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
You can get a shimmer of sorts with the flint.
I have a Flint, how would you set it to get a shimmer type effect?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:24 AM

Here's my current pedal order:

Guitar > Tonedexter > Sunnaudio Stage DI (Neunaber EXP in Sunnaudio Stage Di FX Loop) > Boss OC3 Octave > Boomerang III Looper > Aphex Acoustic Xciter (as a global EQ at the end of chain) > Lexicon EFX8 > PA Speakers.

Should I have these arranged in a different order, or run the Neunaber in line before or after the Boss OC3 Octave? Just trying to get the best sound possible. I turn the reverb off and on depending on what I want to track into the Boomerang.

I realize that reverbs usually go at the end of the chain, but I definitely want it before the looper so that I can turn it off for tracking certain things, and bring it back in for others.

[MEDIA=imgur]a/tvLLX9g[/MEDIA]

Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification