The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Excellent hard to wrong with the classic type, enjoy them

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-13-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I'm new to electric. What would this pair work good with, Les Pauls, telecasters, etc?? Blues jr.was on my radar,any thoughts about that one? Looking for good clean sound for jazz and rock...no heavy metal distortion.
If you’ve considered the BJr, the Bugera V22 Infinium is supposed to be even better; it has the same tube layout as the Fender and it’s also highly rated.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Congratulations on your new amps day!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
If you’ve considered the BJr, the Bugera V22 Infinium is supposed to be even better; it has the same tube layout as the Fender and it’s also highly rated.
Indeed it is, and on both counts - especially with the Turbosound speaker that replaced the Celestion wannabe fitted to the first-edition "blue-light" amps (I swapped mine for an Eminence Swamp Thang - big difference) - but in actuality it's closer in both intent and execution to a Deluxe Reverb, being similar in both physical size/weight and output power. If you're looking for the kind of early breakup you'd get from a Princeton or stock BJ it's there thanks to the pentode/triode switch, but in dropping the power from 22 to 15 watts you're also introducing a significant tonal shift, to my ears akin to a pre-Top Boost Vox - and while you can get some very useful tones in this configuration (including a nice "medium-brown" Brit-style crunch with the OD and mid-boost engaged), if you're a hard-core blackface/silverface guy it definitely ain't gonna be your cuppa tea. On the other hand, if you're an eclectic player who needs a single WYSIWYG amp with a broad tonal palette and a minimum of bells-&-whistles, or you're a trailblazer determined to stand out from the pack by creating your own signature tone, you're not going to find anything comparable for anywhere near the V22's under-$400 street price...
Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Indeed it is, and on both counts - especially with the Turbosound speaker that replaced the Celestion wannabe fitted to the first-edition "blue-light" amps (I swapped mine for an Eminence Swamp Thang - big difference) - but in actuality it's closer in both intent and execution to a Deluxe Reverb, being similar in both physical size/weight and output power. If you're looking for the kind of early breakup you'd get from a Princeton or stock BJ it's there thanks to the pentode/triode switch, but in dropping the power from 22 to 15 watts you're also introducing a significant tonal shift, to my ears akin to a pre-Top Boost Vox - and while you can get some very useful tones in this configuration (including a nice "medium-brown" Brit-style crunch with the OD and mid-boost engaged), if you're a hard-core blackface/silverface guy it definitely ain't gonna be your cuppa tea. On the other hand, if you're an eclectic player who needs a single WYSIWYG amp with a broad tonal palette and a minimum of bells-&-whistles, or you're a trailblazer determined to stand out from the pack by creating your own signature tone, you're not going to find anything comparable for anywhere near the V22's under-$400 street price...
Very interesting info as usual Steve. I didn’t realize the V22 was similar in size & weight to the Deluxe Reverb but it would make sense with same power rating. There is a chime to EL84 amps I think which gives a sophisticated vocal quality & touch sensitivity to the upper midrange.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Nice trio! I love my '75 SF Deluxe Reverb, but it's a bit heavy to be hauling around with me... a Princeton would be perfect for schlepping about.

I'm curious about a Princeton with a 12" in it... I've always loved the sound of the "standard" Princeton with a 10". Did you actually check out both the 10" and 12" in that amp, or just jump on the 12" from the get-go?

Seems there's some duplication with both amps having a 12"? Come to think of it, is the Vox a 12", as well? Maybe you just like 12" speakers in your amps...

In any case, those three amps should "do it" for you, regardless of the application. You can always hang an SM-57 in front of one if you need it louder...

Enjoy!

(If you haven't already, check out G.E. Smith's idea about Fender amps - "dime" the volume and the bass and turn the treble to 0; makes a great sound and one that was instantly recognizable to me from many recordings! I use the volume on my guitar to "clean up" things a bit until I want THAT tone...)
I was able to check out several 10" models and one 12" at GC, although it had a Jensen speaker, not the Cannabis Rex. My goal was to get more headroom and I figured the 12" would give me that over the 10". The Vox has a 10" speaker and sounds great, but it does break up a bit earlier.

The Princeton with the 12" Cannabis Rex is only available at ZZSounds online, so I couldn't play before buying. I had to rely on online discussions and reviews.

I played both extensively last night and I'm just blown away by the tones I can get out of them. The Boss Katana I sold was a great amp too, but I really like the warmth of tube amps now. I miss having an auxiliary-in though for hooking up an mp3 player.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post

I miss having an auxiliary-in though for hooking up an mp3 player.
you can use your iphone with an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and run it into one of the other amps.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars