The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Default What strings are most mello?

I am a beginner playing a angel lopez model c1148s-ced classical guitar with factory installed strings, the bass strings are great, warm and mello, the higher strings are bright and the E actually almost tinny. Which strings should I buy to get that warm, rich mello sound across the set?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:51 PM

Welcome, I've been creeping this forum for years, but I'll tell you that most people comment on steel string acoustics. To be honest, my first thought is that if you say classical strings and tinny in the same breathe, then you're probably not going to get the best answer here.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Thank you for responding

I am too new at all this to know the proper descriptive terms and apologize for the term tinny but I knew no other term to describe the sound.
Thank you for the link I will go there.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Possibly clear nylon, low tension strings.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Thank you Bax

Thank you Bax, any recommendation for a good brand?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymjs View Post
...the higher strings are bright and the E actually almost tinny. Which strings should I buy to get that warm, rich mello sound across the set?
I've found Aquila Alabastro strings to have very mellow trebles (the "normal" tension set). Also La Bella 2001 medium tension strings.

Please keep in mind that strings respond differently to every guitar and also to every guitarist.

lazymjs, don't just rely on the strings (not that you are, I'm just saying, generally)... work on right hand technique to get a pleasing sound regardless of the strings.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 PM

La Bella 2001 Classical Light
Old 10-10-2018, 10:31 PM

lazymjs, while I own one classical guitar, the last thing I would ever call myself is a classical guitarist. But I have a good friend who makes his living building guitars, and probably the lion's share of the guitars he builds these days are classicals.

His recommendation is that you get some D'Addario Pro Arte classical strings. He said that they're available everywhere, in just about every country, and it's hard to go wrong with them. They're excellent strings:

D'Addario Pro Arte classical guitar strings

He also said that it's generally not a string problem but a problem with the guitar itself when this sort of problem arises, that all strings can do is reflect the sound of the guitar they're on. So if none of the strings that we've been recommending to you correct the problem, you might want to consider looking into getting a better quality guitar.

But in the meantime, experiment with different strings and possibly different bridge saddle materials. Sometimes set up issues can have a major impact on the sound of a guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 AM

I've been experimenting with strings on my LaPatrie. The ones that I like best and which seem to be "mellow" across the strings ars Savarez 520 series. I have tried the 520 P's with wound 2nd and 3rd strings and my next try will be the 520 P1's with wound 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. As always your perception and taste will vary. Just my 2 cents.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 10-11-2018, 02:11 PM

+1 on the Aquila Alabastro
Old 10-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Lazymjs, order each recommendation, then after the first set has settled in, and you have a good idea of it, slap on the next brand. Don't worry about burning them out after several days of use, nylon strings are resilient compared to steels, and will be good to use a second time, and you'll have handy backups. I don't believe any of them are expensive. Of the La Bella 2001 lights or mediums, just order one, they should be pretty close.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 10-12-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: I'm like Kanye, I just can't shut up.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 PM

I agree with the La Bella 2001 recommendation. More likely a technique and
nails issue than the strings themselves sounding tinny though, unless they're
carbon trebles on the guitar now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical