The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
For the OP, a few thoughts. The thread to hitch you posted was about arm rests versus bevels. The great bulk of the posts stayed on either the versus topic, or discussed other points about arm rests or bevels. You asked why no steel string guitars came with built in bevels, which is as off the versus topic as any other post in the thread, though in my view perfectly on the larger topic of arm rests and bevels.

No one took up your post. Folks continued to discuss other aspects of arm rests and bevels. I honestly don't see the problem other than I know it's a bummer when people don't really show interest in ones particular post. It happens to my posts, and I'm sure happens to most of us. That is pretty different than claiming there were a lot of off-topic posts in that thread. There really weren't.

Sometime we put our well considered thoughts into an excellent (or not) post, and it doesn't catch on. It happens. I would either try again in a new thread or just chalk it up to not being a take on the topic that others are interested in. Which is disappointing, but not problematic at the forum level.

Sometimes I post a spectacular photo on social media and it doesn't get a reaction. Instead of wondering what's wrong with Instagram I try and figure out why my work isn't connecting with people...or I don't worry about it.

As a buddy of mine opines when a joke of his falls flat, "Hey, they can't all be winners!"
Well said. My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:14 AM

In large groups of comers and goers, from noobs to old grumps, the level of etiquette will always be in flux. Ray Wylie Hubbard said a good day is when he keeps his gratitude higher than his expectations. I think that's true anywhere, including online forums. Stick around, you don't have to "quit." Just take breaks. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I hate to see anyone not gain the enjoyment from the forum that I have.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by srick; 10-07-2018 at 09:20 AM. Reason: be nice
Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 AM

I treat threads like real life conversations, as such they often go off on tangents. Forum members are real people not AI netbots.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm a relative noob here too, mostly lurking for the past year or so and then more participation in the past couple of months. In my short time I've posted threads with questions that didn't get a single answer to threads with questions that I got a LOT of answers in (some of them even directly on-point!) and have stumbled onto all manner of great information I wasn't even specifically looking for. I'd never heard of carbon fiber acoustic guitars two months ago and now I'm about to own two of them - I wasn't looking for that at all, but I'm really grateful I found it.

One thing I would NOT do if I was looking for information on a specific question would be to append my question to a four year old dormant (zombie?) thread that initially had a related, but not identical question. And then get upset if people didn't flock to that thread looking for my brand new question. It's just not a recipe for success.

If you choose to go, your choice - I wish you well. Or you could stay and adjust your approach/expectations just a bit and you might just find you get a lot out of this place. Either way, best of luck...
Old 10-07-2018, 09:44 AM

I'm reminded of the saying.."Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible to be kind".
Be kind and stay with the worldwide family that is this forum....even if you are frustrated with some of the family at this time, it will pass and you will be glad to contribute again.
Nick
Old 10-07-2018, 10:01 AM

My suggestion (some have suggested similarly already): why not just take a break, and give it a week? See if, 7 days from now, the issue still seems as important to you as it does today. There's a high probability that it won't.

It's easy to get a bit paranoid when you make what you think is an interesting post and no one responds. It happens to everyone. I've sometimes thought my posts were automatic thread closers - a discussion is going on perfectly well, and I make a post - and that's the end of it!! It's just what a forum is like. [I hope.]

Take a week off. Play some guitars. Write a novel. Then come back, and I betcha a million pounds you'll feel OK when you do. See you then.

[Just kidding about the million pounds, by the way.]
Old 10-07-2018, 10:13 AM

The only thing we are sure to have in common is acoustic guitar. Temperment, manners, civility, communication skills, decency, mutual understanding, etc, maybe not so guaranteed.

I'm sorry you didn't find the place more to your liking, but c'est la vie. Check in once in a while and read...that's what I do...I don't post near as much as I peruse...you don't have to participate to get something from the place.

Best of luck.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
For the OP, a few thoughts. The thread to hitch you posted was about arm rests versus bevels. The great bulk of the posts stayed on either the versus topic, or discussed other points about arm rests or bevels. You asked why no steel string guitars came with built in bevels, which is as off the versus topic as any other post in the thread, though in my view perfectly on the larger topic of arm rests and bevels.

No one took up your post. Folks continued to discuss other aspects of arm rests and bevels. I honestly don't see the problem other than I know it's a bummer when people don't really show interest in ones particular post. It happens to my posts, and I'm sure happens to most of us. That is pretty different than claiming there were a lot of off-topic posts in that thread. There really weren't.

Sometime we put our well considered thoughts into an excellent (or not) post, and it doesn't catch on. It happens. I would either try again in a new thread or just chalk it up to not being a take on the topic that others are interested in. Which is disappointing, but not problematic at the forum level.

Sometimes I post a spectacular photo on social media and it doesn't get a reaction. Instead of wondering what's wrong with Instagram I try and figure out why my work isn't connecting with people...or I don't worry about it.

As a buddy of mine opines when a joke of his falls flat, "Hey, they can't all be winners!"
Well said. I don’t see how the posts had anything to do with...
Quote:
"The points most strongly emphasized about Usenet netiquette often include using simple electronic signatures, and avoiding multiposting, cross-posting, off-topic posting, hijacking a discussion thread, and other techniques used to minimize the effort required to read a post or a thread."
as they were following the original topic. Also, rarely does an “I’m leaving” post go over well. I hope the OP has better luck in the future getting his questions answered in keeping with his expectations. In my experience, that happens far more often than out in the real world, especially with no “be nice” rule or mods like we have here.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM

judging by the responses above, there's a lot of kindness on this forum,
its something not found that often on the internet

sometimes a break is all thats needed, then drop by see how it goes
Old 10-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I see forums as like the neighborhood bar. Conversations, side conversations, joking around. Sometimes people argue, sometimes they hear hings they might not agree with, but that's life. People get over it. Anyone that can't deal with those things doesn't go to the neighborhood bar.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:45 AM

I've gone to dinner parties and the conversation flowed through various topics and sub topics, often leaving me with nothing to contribute so I just listened and learned what I could. I still enjoyed the meal and the friendly company. Conversations frequently change gears rapidly, that's what conversation is. Someone compliments someone's new shoes, which leads to a discussion of shoe brands, where they used to be made, where they're manufactured now, which leads to talk of jobs, the shipping industry, and politics then back to someone's grandmother who worked in the original factory. You can't control a conversation unless you're giving a speech.
No reason to leave the forum. Stay and contribute and take what you can.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post

[Interesting commentary deleted]

It's easy to get a bit paranoid when you make what you think is an interesting post and no one responds.
See, this is my problem with the forum - everybody IS always talking about me, and behind my back, no less!

It is certainly OK to leave (this isn't Hotel California...), but probably best to do so quietly. That way, you can come back without having to "save face". Leave with a big splash, and coming back will feel rather awkward for everybody, especially you.

As some have already mentioned, what might seem a big deal today, will probably amount to nothing in a few days' time. Life is like that more often than not.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-07-2018, 12:47 PM

so what can we all learn from his goodbye post? i'm curious because i quit the fender forum a while back because i was told that i was asking too many questions. but, i didn't leave a goodbye post as i just felt that if i don't like the place, i can leave.
so, that begs another question, why do people leave a goodbye post and not just leave?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
See, this is my problem with the forum - everybody IS always talking about me, and behind my back, no less!
Oh heck. We thought you didn't know ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic