The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Unhappy Taylor 814ce Top Separating

I have a beautiful Taylor I got before my wife and I got married. I've played the guitar so much that I've had it refretted once and a recent fret dress. I'm sentimentally attached to the guitar as it's been a tool I've used for worship at different churches and countless weddings, not to mention all of the songs I've written on it.

I humidify the guitar regularly and it lives in its case when I'm not playing it. The spruce top just began to separate right along the book match from the bridge to the end near the strap button. Does anyone have an idea for why this could've happened? I can fit a red dunlop pick inside the split. I'm very ocd about humidifying and treating my instruments with great care. How does this get repaired? Is it beyond the scope of a home repair? Thanks guys!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Very sorry to hear this.

Few questions for you:

-How did you humidify?
-How did you monitor the humidity?
-What percentage of humidity did you keep this on average?

As far as repair, this is a luthier job unless you have prior experience repairing guitars.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:54 PM

Three excellent questions SKYHIGH

The answers would be need to be addressed so it doesn't happen again after the repair.

Proper humidification may seal up the joint (temporarily)

Clyde - GAce Fall-LTD
It's a girl! - 254ce DLX

Guitars Front | Guitars Back
Old 09-30-2018, 07:13 PM

Send it back to the Taylor factory for repair.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:41 AM

That's too bad. I see you live in Reno which I'm sure is quite dry. But then again you humidify. Can you share exactly what you are doing to humidify and the humidity readings? I understand that generally these splits along the main seam are better than other cracks. I would think a fine luthier in Reno or Vegas could do right, or you may want to call Taylor for their advice. They are good about giving direction.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 AM

it is possible you may have over humidified it, that is allowed it to become too wet.

Humidity devices are great, however they are typically just a wet sponge in a housing, it is possible to put too much moisture into your guitar.

Do you have a gauge to tell it’s current internal humidity, if not, don’t use your humidity pack.

Once the issue has been identified then yes it can be repaired, you may need to have the bridge removed and refitted to allow access for closing the split up.

Being a high end guitar, I would not recommend you do the repair yourself

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair