The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 PM

I think the closest we have here is the Rolex Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca. That being said there are a number of vintage racing organization in the US, including VSCCA, SVRA, HRS, etc. Some are regional, some are national, and many weekends find vintage racing at tracks around the country.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
WW II, not so much. Certain parts of the US are big on the CivilWar though.

The Goodwood Revival is NOT about WW2.

it IS about the resumption of Car and bike racing AFTER WW2
Old 09-11-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
The Goodwood Revival is NOT about WW2.

It IS about the resumption of car and bike racing AFTER WW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The National Hot Rod Association has had an official championship series for vintage/vintage-style drag race machinery in place for many years:

http://www.nhrahotrodheritage.com/
In case you're not familiar with the background/history of American hot rodding (and without getting into excessive detail here), it began on the dry lake beds of the western U.S. in the early-30's when young men (and a few women) stripped down their daily drivers in an effort to improve acceleration and top speed. Returning from WW II with an intimate knowledge of mechanics and aerodynamic design they resumed their hobby, applying their newly-acquired skills to the construction and design of purpose-built vehicles that were the direct ancestors of today's 300+ MPH machinery, racing them on now-abandoned wartime airfields - and in that sense, the season-opening/-closing events at California's Famoso Raceway are arguably America's closest equivalent in spirit to the Goodwood Revival. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Famoso Raceway dragstrip is located north of Bakersfield, California, and is known historically as the home to the annual March Meet, also known as the U.S. Fuel and Gas Championships. The strip, located on Famoso Road between Highway 99 and Highway 65 east of the Highway 99 and Highway 46 interchange, was originally built in World War II as an auxiliary training base for the nearby Army Air Corps training base at Shafter's Minter Field. After World War II, the Army abandoned the field. It was in the 1950s that an aspiring group of drag racing pioneers from the Bakersfield area, the Bakersfield Smokers, purchased the strip and made the necessary adjustments to allow for drag racing. The Famoso Raceway hosted the first ever March Meet in 1959 and it helped establish the National Hot Rod Association's (NHRA) legitimacy.

Today the Famoso Raceway still hosts the March Meet but it is now strictly a nostalgic hot rod and dragster event. The track also hosts fuel-altered events and the annual California Hot Rod Reunion in October as well as a high school racing series and other smaller events. It is run by the Kern County Racing Association, Inc. with major sponsorship from the Automobile Club of Southern California, which also sponsors NASCAR and NHRA events and tracks throughout Southern California
Old 09-12-2018, 02:21 PM

The Goodwood Revival is a wonderful thing until this happens

OUCH! that makes me cringe.

In 2002 I went to a Ferrari/Maserati weekend at Brands Hatch in Kent (one of the UK's finest race circuits). In addition to lots of expensive cars of all ages being on display, Saturday and Sunday saw a mix of modern Ferrari Modena 360 racing and vintage F1 car races. Several 360's blew engines or were buried in the tyre walls with little impact on my senses but when a vintage F1 car put a wheel on the wet grass my heart was in my mouth.

The big bonus was the Saturday night concert featuring Eric Clapton and Jules Holland.

These meetings are great.

YouTube
Old 09-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post

In 2002 I went to a Ferrari/Maserati weekend at Brands Hatch in Kent (one of the UK's finest race circuits). In addition to lots of expensive cars of all ages being on display, Saturday and Sunday saw a mix of modern Ferrari Modena 360 racing and vintage F1 car races. Several 360's blew engines or were buried in the tyre walls with little impact on my senses but when a vintage F1 car put a wheel on the wet grass my heart was in my mouth.

The big bonus was the Saturday night concert featuring Eric Clapton and Jules Holland.

Check this one out. I saw it the other day. The guy, Chris Harris from Top Gear, is involved in a Ferarri 250GTO going off track into the bales. Even a billionaire would would wince at that repair bill. And apparently they did, cause they blamed Chris for the off. It was proved otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAiCqpcHqk
Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Check this one out. I saw it the other day. The guy, Chris Harris from Top Gear, is involved in a Ferarri 250GTO going off track into the bales. Even a billionaire would would wince at that repair bill. And apparently they did, cause they blamed Chris for the off. It was proved otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAiCqpcHqk
Is that the right video? Harris spins the car but doesn't hit anything in this one, although it was a cringe-worthy few seconds.

I think I remember reading that Ferrari banned Harris from reviewing their cars after he accused them of bending rules but they are friends again now.

YouTube
Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi, I was at an earlier Goodwood Revival and saw David Gilmour blow his '60s Ferrari engine right in front of us.

I saw that Cortina roll (a lot). I had two Cortinas back in the day, and yes I rolled one into a cornfield! Not drunk, just too tired to drive.

We settled on one side and my girlfriend and I had to push it onto its wheels .. I drove it home. " .. no-one hurt, nothing to see here, move along".

Lots of Goodwood Revival stuff on YouTube now but I just wanted to share the kiddies in the pedal cars.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Is that the right video? Harris spins the car but doesn't hit anything in this one, although it was a cringe-worthy few seconds.

I think I remember reading that Ferrari banned Harris from reviewing their cars after he accused them of bending rules but they are friends again now.
It's the right one. Harris did spin them LM (I bet a little poo came out), but the GTO off came before it.

I like Chris, he's a good pilot and good mannered. On the other hand, I like Tanner Faust too, but I'd have a beer with Harris.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
It's the right one. Harris did spin them LM (I bet a little poo came out), but the GTO off came before it.

I like Chris, he's a good pilot and good mannered. On the other hand, I like Tanner Faust too, but I'd have a beer with Harris.
Got Ya

Quote:
Hi, I was at an earlier Goodwood Revival and saw David Gilmour blow his '60s Ferrari engine right in front of us.

I saw that Cortina roll (a lot). I had two Cortinas back in the day, and yes I rolled one into a cornfield! Not drunk, just too tired to drive.

We settled on one side and my girlfriend and I had to push it onto its wheels .. I drove it home. " .. no-one hurt, nothing to see here, move along".

Lots of Goodwood Revival stuff on YouTube now but I just wanted to share the kiddies in the pedal cars.
The kiddies race is great - they say it's hard work driving a race car but they put some effort into those pedal cars. I loved the Cortina. My favourite was my 2nd car, a 1969 MII 1600E, or at least it was until someone rear ended it and wrote it off.

YouTube
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got Ya

The kiddies race is great - they say it's hard work driving a race car but they put some effort into those pedal cars. I loved the Cortina. My favourite was my 2nd car, a 1969 MII 1600E, or at least it was until someone rear ended it and wrote it off.
My MkII was stolen two weeks after I'd put a recon engine in it. Police found it half stripped about 40 miles away. I had to take a train and a taxi to collect it.
I didn't realise until I pulled out of the police station car park that they'd taken off all the mirrors and unscrewed the driver's seat. A hairy drive home.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Who are these people?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The advertisement for the "Wings & Wheels" event has just been posted at the museum: Saturday, Sept. 22!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Here's a link to the Monterey Historic races at Luguna Seca

https://www.sportscardigest.com/race...ports-reunion/
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM

In the USA, Goodwood Revival is known as 'testosterone replacement therapy.'
Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Who are these people?
Chris Harris and Tanner Foust are racing drivers. Harris is one of the presenters on the 'new' UK Top Gear (we get it on BBC America) and Foust used to be presenter on USA Top Gear. The History Channel cancelled USA Top Gear two years ago, so Foust is racing full time. I see him mostly doing Rally Cross when they show it on FOX Sports or ESPN. Harris also has his own channel on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...ep7VJKe1sxvHFg

Foust has a presence there too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...ep7VJKe1sxvHFg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic