The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
<> the condition wasn't accurate <>and it had some physical
marks that weren't disclosed. <> now how do I proceed with the feedback?<>.
Can't answer without info re condition & marks.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
He offered you a satisfaction guarantee, but you were satisfied enough to keep it. Give him four stars, and move on.
Yep. Life is short. He was willing to make good with no hassle. Ask for the shipping to be covered if it’s not as described, and if he says yes rate him well and move on... what would you expect.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 PM

I have bought 2 guitars on reverb and they were both not advertised correctly, I feel like the sellers on there try to get away with much more than ebay. I got a Harmony Sovereign that was great and the seller did mention that it had a neck reset in the past, but he failed to mention that the saddle was very low again and that if I wanted to lower the action anymore (it was medium action), that I would need to get a neck reset again. Usually in the listing if you say a guitar has had a neck reset, you are meaning that it is good to go. Not that it had one 20 years ago one time and that it will immediately need another one. That one was a fun guitar but I resold it at what I paid for it to a slide guitarist.

The 2nd guitar with a J-45 listed in great condition, it was a gigging guitar with some natural wear but no signs of abuse. After I sent my best offer and he accepted which I paid, only after I paid did he inform me that the guitar had a noticeable stale smoke smell. This was not mentioned at all in the posting. He said he would rather tell me before he ships it just in case I wasn't okay with that. Considering that I paid average price for a used J-45, I of course said yes it was a problem and to refund my money. It also didn't help that he only told me right after I paid, I guess he was thinking since I had already paid and was looking forward to receiving the guitar that I wouldn't be thinking clearly and would say it's fine. No thanks. The seller then relisted it and again, no update to the listing indicating the smoke smell.

I generally stay away from reverb now
Old 10-18-2018, 06:06 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguitar90 View Post
the seller did mention that it had a neck reset in the past... Usually in the listing if you say a guitar has had a neck reset, you are meaning that it is good to go. Not that it had one 20 years ago one time and that it will immediately need another one.
This is why you should ask a lot of questions before committing to buying an old guitar.

Quote:
after I paid he informed me that the guitar had a noticeable stale smoke smell. This was not mentioned at all in the posting. He said he would rather tell me before he ships it just in case I wasn't okay with that.
Sounds like he did the right thing, and you didn't buy the guitar.

Quote:
I generally stay away from reverb now
Why? They could have placed the very same ads on eBay, Craigslist, or the AGF classifieds. Before I buy a guitar, I have a whole litany of questions to ask the seller, including whether there is pet hair or smoke odor, and I request a detailed list of all repairs or modifications. Reverb has nothing to do with this.

Last edited by Guest 728; 10-18-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Here's the thing ... many buyers will accept the guitar, find a flaw (real or imagined) and then try to renegotiate the price with the seller after the sale. They don't hate it enough to want to return it, they want to keep it a lower price. For the seller the best option is to insist the buyer return the guitar if not satisfied.

IMO the online buying game isn't worth the candle. I just don't do it. You've been offered a remedy ... he isn't trying to cheat you.
I agree.

The really great sellers pay the return shipping. The good ones offer a refund, but ask you to pay the shipping.

OP, I understand that you are disappointed, because you had an image of what you were going to recieve, and what you got didn't live up to the image. But offering a refund is a reasonable repsonse. Either accept the refund, or move on.

P. S. The poor quality packing is relevant only if there is damage as the result of the poor packing.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

You can request a refund for shipping. If he says no, you can suggest you’ll take the case to Reverb and let them decide if the seller should cover the shipping because it didn’t match the description. It may get ugly, but it’s an option.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK so I just bought a guitar and the condition wasn't accurate and it was packaged poorly (thin, ripped box...little protection) and it had some physical
marks that weren't disclosed. The seller was willing to refund my money, but nothing else. I don't want to have to ship it back and just want the guitar I thought I was getting. I tried communicating all this, but the seller only says "if you aren't satisfied, send it back for a refund" . I am keeping the guitar, but now how do I proceed with the feedback? I am afraid if I am honest and give a not so great feedback, he will do the same to me in return.
Who cares? Seriously. Just get your money back and move on. Life is too short to worry about feedback retaliation.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

If it's not worth returning or requesting a partial refund, then it shouldn't be worth leaving feedback either. The seller offered to take it back, and the buyer declined that offer, which should end the discussion.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:40 AM

Usually the guitars listed on Reverb are sold as described and you're entitled then to return the guitar. Keeping the guitar and posting negative feedback is kind of like having it both ways. If there where questions as to condition, you could have addressed those before purchasing. You could also have discussed shipping arrangements and such as well. Keeping the guitar is basically acknowledging the conditions of the sale which are clearly listed on Reverb's policies.

My suggestion is to return the guitar, get your refund, and move on.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Usually the guitars listed on Reverb are sold as described and you're entitled then to return the guitar. Keeping the guitar and posting negative feedback is kind of like having it both ways. If there where questions as to condition, you could have addressed those before purchasing. You could also have discussed shipping arrangements and such as well. Keeping the guitar is basically acknowledging the conditions of the sale which are clearly listed on Reverb's policies.

My suggestion is to return the guitar, get your refund, and move on.
What if you want to keep the guitar but feel like it was misrepresented?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
What if you want to keep the guitar but feel like it was misrepresented?
https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us/art...rotection_Page

If you don't want to go through this process, then you'll either have to :

a) keep the guitar, buff out the scratches, and move on with LIFE
b) eat crow, keep the guitar, leave negative feedback, and accept those consequences
c) return the guitar, and move on with LIFE

Reverb's policy specifically states that you can RETURN an item that is not sold AS DESCRIBED. So if you decide you want to keep the guitar, then you're probably better off filing a complaint above and resolving it through Reverb's system. You only have 7 days from time of receipt of item to do this however.

I just get a feeling we're not getting the FULL story here. Link to the original listing? Did you correspond with the seller beforehand? Did you confirm the condition with the guitar, with the seller, before purchasing? If he offered already to give you a refund for returning the guitar, I don't think you have much of a choice.

The seller accepted an offer from you, that was obviously lower than the asking price. If he thinks he can get at least what you offered, or more, he'd be foolish to somehow want to "compensate" you for things you felt were "undisclosed." He'd want the guitar returned so he could relist it. Unfortunately, we don't know if what you "feel" was misrepresented is what you say it is. Not trying to be accusatory; just want to give you both sides of the argument...
Old 10-19-2018, 01:32 PM

If you keep the guitar, will it still be bugging you a year from now?

If so, return it.

If not, keep it.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM

The main thing is how does it sound, and does the sound make up for whatever condition flaws there are that weren't mentioned? Is it easy and fun to play? Can you live with the flaws for the price you paid? The answers to these questions may help you decide what you want to do...….. Good luck with the decision......
Old 12-09-2020, 11:38 AM

I recently bought a Martin 000-18WG on Reverb. The seller listed it as “excellent” and described it as nearly perfect except for a small “dig” on the top of the lower bout. When I received the guitar the finish looked good, but the sides and back were rough to the touch, (like an oxidized finish). I figured that I could have that buffed. Then I looked at the head and right next to the 5th string machine was a fairly deep and long gouge, the type that a string winder would cause. The seller got angry that I had requested a return and proceeded to lie and threaten. I asked him to do a return shipping label and he refused. He told me to pack it well and ship it back insured, (and I did). Reverb notified me that I had been refunded in full. The guitar was not as described, so the seller was responsible for shipping both ways, but I did not get a refund for the return shipping and I am out $153.00. Because there was a refund, reverb will not let me give feedback. Basically, the seller misrepresented the condition of the guitar, got caught, but I am out $153.00 and his 5 Star Rating in intact. The seller has resisted it and noted the damage to the head as being tiny and easily repaired. There is no mention of the finish issue.

I think that there a a lot of good sellers on Reverb, but unfortunately, their policies protect the reputations of shady sellers. It would probably be best to ignore the feedback because if someone has a bad experience and still ends up with a refund, the seller’s reputation is spared. I hope that at some time they change some of their policies.

Last edited by Btlcat; 12-09-2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added information.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:09 PM

You want to punish the guy, and that's not gonna happen. Let it go, man.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic