The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default a mixer for playing and recording

Hi - a few months ago I was looking for a small mixer that I could both play live with mixed and/or record at least 4 tracks simultaneously to a PC . Somebody recommended the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK which looks good. Am now getting ready to purchase something so thought I'd check back. Don't really need 12 channels. Something smaller would be good.
thanks
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
Hi - a few months ago I was looking for a small mixer that I could both play live with mixed and/or record at least 4 tracks simultaneously to a PC . Somebody recommended the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK which looks good. Am now getting ready to purchase something so thought I'd check back. Don't really need 12 channels. Something smaller would be good.
thanks
The QSC Touchmix 8 is compact and can record 8 simultaneous tracks, with many added benefits like, GREAT EQ, ability to record to a thumb drive or external hardrive, a ton of good onboard FX, and any kind of routing you'll ever need for live or recording. It's quite a bit smaller than the Soundcraft too, and would be very easy to fit on a desktop when recording. It has a bit of a learning curve, but there are great online tutorials for every function!

check this out...

https://training.qsc.com/mod/book/view.php?id=237

https://training.qsc.com/course/view.php?id=23
Old 10-05-2018, 05:48 AM

I'm glad you revived this. It may be exactly what I am looking for to track my drums. I'm maxed out on a 4 channel interface now and want to add tom mics I need another 3-4 channels.

So this thing will live mix and work as an interface with a DAW?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM

A bit off the current subject, but 12 tracks are REALLY handy during a jam session, and there are few activities more fun than a good jam.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
thanks
Soundcraft makes a 6 channel mixer also

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...aft-epm6-mixer

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

The touchmix 8 looks cool but is almost twice the cost of the soundcraft. My needs are simple. Don't play gigs, just mostly play myself with headphones or with one or two other people in the house. Nice to have live mixing for live effects but also multitrack recording into a computer. I have a mixer that outputs stereo over usb so that gets the live but not multitrack recording. Also have a 4 channel Audio interface that gets the multitrack recording but not live mixing because of latency.

The soundcraft mtk 12 seems to combine those functions in one package. their smaller mixers don't have the multitrack into a DAW.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:51 AM

Presonus StudioLive AR8 might fit the bill. Compact, features multitrack recording via USB, has 2 HiZ inputs for passive pickup if needed.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

at first blush the Presonus StudioLive AR8 looked really good but then I started seeing negative reviews about noisy recordings and such. Maybe worth the $ for the QSC. it gets pretty rave reviews but more money than I wanted to spend.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM

If you're considering the QSC mixer, you might have a look at the Zoom Livetrak L-12. This is what I use and I'm very happy with it. It serves as a multichannel audio interface and a live mixer with a multitrack recorder straight onto a SD card.
It's also cheaper than the QSC.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:31 PM

USB would surely be a nice touch. I'm happy with my Yamaha MG10XU. May fit your needs. It's pretty whisper quiet.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 AM

The problem with the cheaper USB mixers is the A-D converter. They tend to be cheap 16 bit units that are noisy. Newer models may be better now.
I picked up a Behringer Q mixer and there was a noticeable whine in the recorded and played back sound through it. Found that by turning the main mix volume faders down, the noise would disappear - the faders also controlled the USB output.
I returned it to GC and picked up a Mackie USB mixer. Still had the same whine problem when the volume was turned up - but the USB output has a separate volume control, so I could keep the volume down separate of the main output.
I don't use the mixer for recording now, just for live use.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
If you're considering the QSC mixer, you might have a look at the Zoom Livetrak L-12. This is what I use and I'm very happy with it. It serves as a multichannel audio interface and a live mixer with a multitrack recorder straight onto a SD card.
It's also cheaper than the QSC.
Hey Monsum - what DAW do you use wit it? This looks very versatile...live, sd, and DAW.
thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Hey Monsum - what DAW do you use wit it? This looks very versatile...live, sd, and DAW.
thanks
The Zoom mixer will work with any DAW. I use Presonus Studio One and Logic Pro X. Usually recording straight onto a computer, so in this case the Zoom works as a multichannel audio interface or if I record a rehearsal via the mixer onto a SD card I transfer the wav files later for editing in a DAW.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
The Zoom mixer will work with any DAW. I use Presonus Studio One and Logic Pro X. Usually recording straight onto a computer, so in this case the Zoom works as a multichannel audio interface or if I record a rehearsal via the mixer onto a SD card I transfer the wav files later for editing in a DAW.
can the computer read the tracks out of the SD card from the mixer or do you pull the SD and plug it into the computer. I couldn't tell from the manual.

think I might have to get one of these things. or...my wife can get it for Christmas!
Old 10-24-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
can the computer read the tracks out of the SD card from the mixer
Yes, it can be done. It's called Card reader mode in the manual. But I usually just take out the card and insert it into my computer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD