The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-24-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Which guitar setup tools ?

Figured it would be best ask this question on the custom section as it might get the attention of luthiers who know best.

I am quite sensitive to my guitar setup (perhaps slight OCD) where with the slightest string buzz sees me off to the local guitar store for a check and Setup of required. I am mostly but not always 100% happy with the service.

I have been thinking about learning the skills myself to do an accurate check on the action, neck relief and perhaps make minor adjustments etc to truss rod, perhaps file a nut slot..

I guess that good quality tools are a must for the level of accuracy required. Any recommendations on what tools (And brands) to get along with resources on how to use them correctly? Of course all I am talking about here is minor setup..id be leaving refrets and heavier work to the pros. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 PM

All you need is a truss rod wrench and a set of the needle files from StewMac.
https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool..._Set_of_5.html.
The nut slots only need to be done once, and I've found the needle files to be adequate. The nut slotting saws/files are nice, but not necessary. If the saddle needs to be lowered, 220 grit sandpaper and a flat surface is all that's needed.

If you are getting buzz at the desired action height, that will require some improvement of the fretwork, and is a little beyond a basic setup.
et al
Old 09-25-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
All you need is a truss rod wrench and a set of the needle files from StewMac.
https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool..._Set_of_5.html.
The nut slots only need to be done once, and I've found the needle files to be adequate. The nut slotting saws/files are nice, but not necessary. If the saddle needs to be lowered, 220 grit sandpaper and a flat surface is all that's needed.

If you are getting buzz at the desired action height, that will require some improvement of the fretwork, and is a little beyond a basic setup.
Thanks a lot. I've come across a setup kit from StewMac. Might be worth the 100$
Old 09-25-2018, 03:24 AM

For the fussy player, fret levelling skill is IMO super important.

Basic Setup’s can be achieved with minimal tools, basic setup is the ability to set nut and saddle heights and string height at the 12th with required relief.

For a great playing guitar, this first skill set needs to be improved to the next level, making sure frets are clear under string tension and be able to reprofile frets to a smooth clean crown.

Whilst any person can do a basic setup, I find a lot of people including “L plate” luthiers struggle to achieve this. Do not under estimate the skill required to do a good setup with level frets.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 09-25-2018 at 03:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair