The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 05:09 PM

One thing I like about cedar tops is that they're a good hue right out of the box.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Prefer non-toned tops on new guitars myself. I like the color of wood with natural finishes. But I take 'em as the come, if i like the guitar I really don't care.

Here I have to laugh when considering all the hand ringing and whining about relic-ed finishes. Isn't a toned top meant to "falsely" imitate age? Are all those here who prefer a toned top posers who desperately want to take credit for years of ownership??

Food fer thought when dissing the relics.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Here I have to laugh when considering all the hand ringing and whining about relic-ed finishes. Isn't a toned top meant to "falsely" imitate age? Are all those here who prefer a toned top posers who desperately want to take credit for years of ownership??

Food fer thought when dissing the relics.
Personally, I love the look of a creamy white spruce top. However, I have no problem with an artificially yellowed top. It's just another aesthetic. Way different from beating the hell out of the guitar to achieve a relic-ed finish.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

so, what thinkest thou? Do you like pale tops or "aged"ones.
I don't care. I know going in that every guitar is going to look different after a period of time. It would be no big deal even if a color change didn't happen.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I remember when I took delivery of my custom Wingert 16 years ago and mentioned how I loved the cream colored top. Kathy laughed and said: "Enjoy it now because it won't stay that way." Now, it is a deep honey color. My 18 month old Kramer is already starting to darken. Both are German spruce. I also owed a Kenny Hill Crossover with a lovely pale Engelmann top. Interestingly enough, it had French polish finish and didn't seem to age in color as fast. Maybe the wood, maybe the finish - who knows? I don't do anything to either hasten or slow the process of light affecting the woods of my guitars.

The cocobolo back and sides on my Wingert used to have streaks of honey colored brown and now the wood is almost black with those streaks looking more dark brown. I won't even get into what age has done to me over the years.

I enjoy those creamy white tops in the beginning but love the color they become when they age as well.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-23-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
When my custom Martin J40 arrived in 1990 the top was the same shade as a Manila file folder. Over the years it acquired a nice golden honey tone, which I really like if it is naturally acquired. I loathe the fake spray-tan aging toner they use - way too yellow to look natural.
I agree about the toner. I had a Martin M-38 for ten years and it turned an odd pumpkin color that was not pleasing to my eyes.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-23-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Personally, I love the look of a creamy white spruce top. However, I have no problem with an artificially yellowed top. It's just another aesthetic. Way different from beating the hell out of the guitar to achieve a relic-ed finish.
Yes, either way is fine w/ me as well. Creamy or toned. I bear no grudges for different finishes.

When you realize a relic is just a finish choice, I contend there is no difference. A toned top and a relic-ed finish are both an attempt to mimic age.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Hi Silly,

I like the tops to have some color. For that reason, I leave my guitars out in my studio on stands to get sunlight and they all have yellowed tops now. Whether the original tops were tinted or not, all my guitars are tinted about the same amount now -- a fair amount of yellow.

- Glenn
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 PM

I think I've intentionally sought a variety over the years and they all bring pleasure to my eyes.
Right now my guitars range in age from 54 years, through to 7 years old and cast a deep range of natural color from:. Darkest: Redwood, then Cedar, followed by aged Sitka, Adirondack, and finally the lightest top a beautiful Carpathian top.
I think I'm most attracted to the whole guitar shape aesthetically and the top fits into that equation rather than a certain color preference.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-23-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Plastic indeed ! Barbarians

The lighter the better for me. I personally get tired of "yellowish/tan" guitars. They all look alike, kind of as much a uniform as a business suit and tie. The almost white adi on my h-12 is very attractive in my eyes. If I want a darker color then it's cedar or redwood.

This...Love a very light top.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
I like an aged top, but naturally aged, not the bright yellow that Martin sprays on some of their models
I would have kept my J40 as a lifer, but for this. Couldn't get past that unnatural yellow.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:01 PM

One of my guitars has a particularly unattractive aged-toner finish. I've been leaving it out on a stand in the hope that indirect sunlight will eventually darken it to some degree. The New Zealand summer sun is very harsh, so I need mind where I place it.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:20 PM

“and if you do prefer a tan, do you do anything to encourage it?“

Easy, leave it out to expose it to light. Happens fast.
Rb
Old 01-24-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
“and if you do prefer a tan, do you do anything to encourage it?“

Easy, leave it out to expose it to light. Happens fast.
Rb
Yup, did it with my first Eastamn last year, and doing it with the newset one, but only (British) winter sunlight through closed windows. A good 3-4 hours today.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:34 PM

Dream guitars was selling what they called a "snow parlor guitar" - made of pale white maple B&S and a pale white spruce top with a maple fingerboard. It was a lovely looking guitar. But I thought -after a few years it will yellow and look like the Huskies had their way with the "snow".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion