The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 09:16 AM

I have sold via Craigslist and a couple of Collings on the old Collings Forum. Have not had much luck on the AGF classifieds. These days a trade-in is my first choice if they give me what I consider a fair price. I have sold a couple via consignment but sometimes they sell quickly and other times they just seem to sit forever.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Craigslist, face to face cash only, on neutral public ground when possible. More difficult with an electric or an acoustic/electric in which electronics need to be evaluated. I try to convince the buyer to use a headphone amp but that's not always an option. I do not ship guitars.

My last sale was an electric that the buyer wanted to evaluate with his own amp. I allowed him to come to my house and we demoed the guitar in an out-building on my property. I do not make deliveries; but on my turf I have the logistics arranged in my favor should the transaction go less than optimally.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:02 AM

As local as possible to avoid shipping, most often through Facebook Marketplace or various Facebook classifieds. Sometimes word of mouth through my lesson business.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have used a variety of ways depending on the guitar and the market. I currently have a guitar on consignment at a reputable online dealer out of my area. The 4 instruments that I sold before that were all sold on consignment at my local brick and mortar that also has online sales. I sold one guitar myself to a person who I know who expressed interest. So it just depends. I have found that with high end instruments, selling on consignment can bring a higher price due to the fact that it has been vetted by a reputable dealer. For me, working full time also makes it more convenient for me to sell on consignment. Lots of good options depending on each person's preference and situation.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-22-2021, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

All of my sales have been in person. Most have been via CL, but my last guitar was listed on FB Marketplace and sold within two days. I'm usually pretty firm on my price, as I'm never in a rush to sell something, so I usually get my full asking price (or close). The problem with CL is sifting out all the riff riff with low ball offers, trades, gift cards, or worse.

I haven't used AGF, Reverb, Ebay or others that would require shipping, as I consider that to be too risky for me, as a seller. I have purchased via Ebay, Reverb, and from members of other forums. I had problems with transactions on Ebay and Reverb, so I would be more trusting to shipments with forum members.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:52 PM
AGF Administrator

Craigslist, in person, with cash or Zelle. I don't trust doing it any other way.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I see a lot of apprehension about shipping guitars. Getting a dedicated isntrument insurance policy and following Bryan Kimsey's shipping technique video got rid of that fear for me.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I buy from AGF. But when I'm ready to dispense, I go half a mile up to a funky little "hole in the wall" guitar shop that does consignment. They do both electrics and acoustics. I quickly sold 3 the year prior to that, "event". Once they re-open for more regular visits, I've got a couple more to run by.

It's so easy and in the end, barely more expensive than shipping+other fees etc. And the time it saves me.......... priceless...... and at this point I'm more interested in time than anything.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-22-2021, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Consignment/trade, in order of preference...
My view as well. In my younger days -when selling/shipping used guitars long distances was rarely if ever done- I sold a few locally in "safe" environments without much thought. Not now though. I'll take fewer net dollars to avoid meeting people I don't know for deals involving large bucks. And the last thing I want to deal with is someone 1,000 miles away -and who I don't know- claiming something is wrong with a guitar that I know was just fine when I shipped it. But that's just what's best for me.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:27 AM

What is this “selling” you refer to?

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-23-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

We are all limited to our options. Craig's list is not an option here. Or the paper. Trading doesn't seem to be an option these days. What's left?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-23-2021, 09:53 AM

Too many scammers on CL.
I've had good luck on FB marketplace
Shipping a guitar via ebay or reverb is risky. You need to describe every
Detail or you run into the guy
Who says there was a hairline
Scratch you didnt mention
In your add and my luthier
Says it will cost 300 to fix.
Please refund 300. Ebay and reverb
Favor whoever initiates the complaint
First. Fb is face to face sale.
Never had an issue.and so far its free.
Only cl and fb are free.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:20 AM

Exclamation Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
How do you guys sell your guitars? Classifieds here or on other sites, reverb, consignment, trade in? Do you typically put them up for sale in multiple places?

Old 01-23-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I see a lot of apprehension about shipping guitars. Getting a dedicated isntrument insurance policy and following Bryan Kimsey's shipping technique video got rid of that fear for me.
I admit having apprehension about shipping, but it's also the costs. $100-150 can be absorbed into a $2000+ purchase, but it really erodes into a $1000 or under transaction. The ones in between can go either way, I suppose.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:25 PM

Facebook Marketplace is my favorite, but I still use Craigslist some. I prefer to get paid via PayPal or Venmo, because I don’t like dealing with cash. Older buyers and sellers seem to still think Venmo and PayPal are scams lol.

I only use Reverb if the guitar I’m selling is expensive or rare, because it can be difficult to find local buyers for these.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion