The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I did not like the JP Fast Turtle. However, I picked up a Clayton Nutone NSM/1 medium casein pick from amazon and I think it's great. Much better feeling/sounding than the fast turtle and only $7 with prime shipping (or $4 on strings and beyond). Might be an easy way to try out casein.
Jesse, thinking back about five years, I believe the Clayton Nutones were the very first casein picks I played, even before the John Pearses. I posted the links earlier in this thread, but will post them again here, below.

Clayton Nutones. At about $6.00 a throw, these are a great way to get started on the casein journey, to see if this material does anything for you. I love it, but not every material is for everyone, and so the search persists. CLAYTON NUTONES: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...in-guitar-pick

Not as many people are aware that Fender came out with a casein line about a year ago called TruShell. If you look closely, you can see that the colors are mostly the same as the Claytons, so they are using the same supplier. Don't know who that is. However, it looks like Fender offers triangle caseins too, not just teardrops.
FENDER TRUSHELL: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ushell&index=2

Hope people find this useful.

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Jesse, thinking back about five years, I believe the Clayton Nutones were the very first casein picks I played, even before the John Pearses. I posted the links earlier in this thread, but will post them again here, below.

Clayton Nutones. At about $6.00 a throw, these are a great way to get started on the casein journey, to see if this material does anything for you. I love it, but not every material is for everyone, and so the search persists. CLAYTON NUTONES: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...in-guitar-pick

Not as many people are aware that Fender came out with a casein line about a year ago called TruShell. If you look closely, you can see that the colors are mostly the same as the Claytons, so they are using the same supplier. Don't know who that is. However, it looks like Fender offers triangle caseins too, not just teardrops.
FENDER TRUSHELL: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ushell&index=2

Hope people find this useful.
Thank you Sir. I will look into the Clayton link that you’d provided. I’ve been using a .73 mm wedgie with thumb grip. I’m wondering if the medium Clayton would be similar as far as thickness goes? I wouldn’t be opposed to a bit thicker, but can’t say I’d want to go much thicker.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:41 PM

Scott, thanks for this post. I've been pretty happy with Dunlop Ultex .88s for the last couple years, but you've got me interested in casein. You inspired me to use some rewards points to get a couple of free Fender Tru Shells in different thicknesses from Guitar Center. I'm looking forward to trying a Charmed Life pick once I have a better idea what I like.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I did not like the JP Fast Turtle. However, I picked up a Clayton Nutone NSM/1 medium casein pick from amazon and I think it's great. Much better feeling/sounding than the fast turtle and only $7 with prime shipping (or $4 on strings and beyond). Might be an easy way to try out casein.
Based on this thread I bought the Nutone medium and Heavy and the Fast Turtle x-thin which is 1.0 mm. My go to pic is Ultex .88mm and 1.0mm. Funny thing is I like the Fast Turtle much better for it's warm tone then either Nutone. Both Nutone seemed hard and bright sounding to me. The Nutone heavy and Fast Turtle are the same thickness but sound and feel so different I have a hard time believing they are the same material.

So the moral of the story is, invest in a bunch of different pic to see what your personal preference is.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Love the ~1mm casein picks on my Bob Thompson DN. I also use CLF picks on my Bob Thompson OM.

Seems like the naysayers get hung up on price. Sure, I'd love to get 20-30 picks for the price, but it'll be a tall order to nail that sound. To a certain extent, some picks work better on different guitars+technique. These weren't my go to picks until I had the Bob Thompson guitars.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sy, as we've discussed, what I find interesting is, as you've pointed out several times, different picks create tonal opportunities that often vary across different guitars or songs. I've been an inveterate pick nerd for more than thirty years, always trying different shapes, thicknesses, materials, etc. across multiple playing situation.

scott memmer

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-20-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 PM

I went for years and years using medium celluloid 346 picks. I tried something new now and then.

At Scott's suggestion, I picked up some Fender Tru Shell casein 346 picks. I wasn't sure about them at first. As I used them, I began to like them.

Now, I picked these because I can afford them, they are available and are the 346 shape. Try as I have, I just don't like smaller tear drop picks. They don't work well for me.

I wish JP and Clayton made their casein picks in the 346 size.

Some have commented that they felt the Fender picks were not of the same quality as the more expensive picks that are available. I would suppose they are not. I simply can't do the more expensive versions. I lose or at least misplace picks frequently. I would do so no matter what.

After trying many picks, made of many materials, of varying thicknesses, I have come to this conclusion. They are all good. They are all not good.

What do I mean by that confusing statement? Picks are part of a tone equation. Like string brands, weights, materials.

On any given day, a guitar can sound different than it did 2 days ago. It can be drier, more moist or just right humidity wise. The strings can be too bright, played in and just right or too dull, but not ready to be changed.

Then there are the basic personalities that guitars have.

I have assembled little pick assortments for the 6 guitars I have. Depending on the many variables, I choose one pick or another, Including the casein picks.

It is a bit of a Goldilocks thing, but I can get the "just right" tone by doing this.

If I had to choose just one pick...

A Heavy celluloid, Fender, D'andrea, etc.

But I don't choose just one and by taking the time to find which pick will work best, today, I am more consistently satisfied with the tone and playability I get on any given day.

Thanks to Scott for his honest approach to casein picks. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM

Default bevel etc

regarding Casein - I agree that the tone of that material CAN be superb but there is a very big IF involved. Like so many others I've done a lot of experimenting with picks but it was only when I started making my own that I discovered that the shape of the bevel made a greater difference in tone than the material itself. People trying Pearse, Fender or Clayton casein picks are getting different bevels on the same material along with different tip shapes, so comparing the different brands can be very misleading with three variables involved. I've got a load of picks including Nutone casein, Wegen, Blue chip and Dunlop primetone/ultex. Using the same bevel and tip shape I've been able to get them all to sound virtually identical, and once I get playing at tempo I'm more concerned with playability as tone is no longer an issue. So my priorities have changed. I am now using 2 mm sheet acrylic - dirt cheap at Home Depot to make my picks - the grip with Acrylic is the best I've tried, the life is good and the tone is right there with the best of them. So for pennies I can get my own consistent tone, shape and bevel and experiment to my heart's content. Works for me.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Based on this thread I bought the Nutone medium and Heavy and the Fast Turtle x-thin which is 1.0 mm. My go to pic is Ultex .88mm and 1.0mm. Funny thing is I like the Fast Turtle much better for it's warm tone then either Nutone. Both Nutone seemed hard and bright sounding to me. The Nutone heavy and Fast Turtle are the same thickness but sound and feel so different I have a hard time believing they are the same material.

So the moral of the story is, invest in a bunch of different pic to see what your personal preference is.
I'm glad you found one you like! The reasons you liked the Fast Turtle are exactly the reasons I didn't. It seemed to dull the sharpness of the attack and I like it fast, loud, and bright. I use my BCTD35 for a little warmer sound than the nutones.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
regarding Casein - I agree that the tone of that material CAN be superb but there is a very big IF involved. Like so many others I've done a lot of experimenting with picks but it was only when I started making my own that I discovered that the shape of the bevel made a greater difference in tone than the material itself. People trying Pearse, Fender or Clayton casein picks are getting different bevels on the same material along with different tip shapes, so comparing the different brands can be very misleading with three variables involved. I've got a load of picks including Nutone casein, Wegen, Blue chip and Dunlop primetone/ultex. Using the same bevel and tip shape I've been able to get them all to sound virtually identical, and once I get playing at tempo I'm more concerned with playability as tone is no longer an issue. So my priorities have changed. I am now using 2 mm sheet acrylic - dirt cheap at Home Depot to make my picks - the grip with Acrylic is the best I've tried, the life is good and the tone is right there with the best of them. So for pennies I can get my own consistent tone, shape and bevel and experiment to my heart's content. Works for me.
.....very cool that you’re making your own picks...I might have to give it a try myself.......while I agree that shape, bevel and thickness are significant factors regarding the tone of any given pick I can’t say that material isn’t just as as big a factor...maybe the biggest difference and here’s why....

...I just recently decided to order three EML picks in the three different materials that Eric offers...identical thickness and shape....(2.5 mm rounded teardrop)...one Casein..one polyester resin...and one PEEK......

...I get three distinctly different sounds with resin being the brightest and Peek the dullest....Casein in between the two...and they feel different too in the way they grip the strings.....

...so which pick do I prefer?....if I have to stick with one it’s Casein...it yields the most pleasing tone to my ears...and I like the way it feels in my hand the best...but I was really surprised by how much I like the polyester resin...it’s slicker than Casein and glides across strings more easily..it’s the fastest of the three....the Peek will tame the brightest sounding guitars I have but it will get the least use...
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Default pick

JPatrick - I suggest you look at the tip of the 3 picks with a magnifying glass and see if there is any difference in the bevels - where they start, how steep etc - it's very difficult to have identical bevels on 3 different picks, making it difficult to evaluate different materials. The way I did it was to shape the bevels to get the tone I desired from each pick and when I saw that I could get the same tone with different materials with a slight difference in bevel, if any, led me to believe the bevel is the answer.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
JPatrick - I suggest you look at the tip of the 3 picks with a magnifying glass and see if there is any difference in the bevels - where they start, how steep etc - it's very difficult to have identical bevels on 3 different picks, making it difficult to evaluate different materials. The way I did it was to shape the bevels to get the tone I desired from each pick and when I saw that I could get the same tone with different materials with a slight difference in bevel, if any, led me to believe the bevel is the answer.
Glad to see you making your own. It's fun!

scott
Old 06-26-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...certainly not. trying to discount your experience and findings here...just relating my recent experience...I feel confident in saying that the primary difference in tone these three picks produce is because of the material...and it is a pretty darn noticeable difference...in any case...heres a photo of the three picks...pretty meticulous work by EML...

Old 06-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Default add

Some clarification on my point about different materials having the same tone if the bevel is the same - this has been true for me for picks about 1.5 mm thick made out of any one of the firm materials available. I realize something like a thin nylon pick will never sound the same as something like a thick ultex pick etc. Should have stated this earlier.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...certainly not. trying to discount your experience and findings here...just relating my recent experience...I feel confident in saying that the primary difference in tone these three picks produce is because of the material...and it is a pretty darn noticeable difference...in any case...heres a photo of the three picks...pretty meticulous work by EML...

Eric is doing some great work, and is one heck of a nice guy on top of it. Bravo, EML!

scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion