The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Observation Regarding Humidity. Voyage Air Content

So, 3 years ago I took the chance on a deeply discounted but brand new Voyage Air VAOM-04. The guitar was purchased from Musician's Friend and they accurately described 2 top cracks behind the bridge.

I bought this to use on camping trips and a general travel beater. Pretty much what it was designed for.

Here is the humidity part of this story. I made the decision to not care for this guitar the same way I do my other higher end instruments (proper humidification/temps, etc) It's been subjected to extreme heat and never been treated to any kind of humidifying devise while in storage.

After 3 years of such abuse the cracks on the top have not changed at all. No further separation, no sinking or bulging. It literally has not gotten worse despite not having proper care. Not sure what this means other than Voyage Air makes a fine guitar, a well known fact among Voyage Air owners.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way endorsing such treatment, but since I paid so little for the guitar and knew in advance that would live the life of a campfire beater I thought I'd try this little experiment. Kind of interesting, IMO.

Last edited by 29er; 12-11-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Hi 29er,

I've got the same guitar, was playing it a moment ago.

Mine lives in a very humid environment all summer, and in a dry one all winter (RH as low as the high 20's). I'm very glad to hear your story as mine gets similar abuse.

I don't ever case or humidify it. The only "issue" I ever had is that the G string was buzzing on the first couple of frets. I opened and closed the hinge (it had been closed and locked down very tight for quite a while) and it went away.

I also have a 40 year old Ibanez that gets the same lack of care. It came to me with a repaired crack in the neck close to the headstock that opened up after a while. I had it repaired. It opened up again and I said I'm not throwing any more money at it. The crack has been stable for about 10 years now.

Funny how some guitars can take abuse, and others can't. I do take care of my only all solid guitar, but I have several solid top laminated b/s guitars that get no care at all. I've never had any issues with them, living in an area where the heat can be on 7 months of the year and it goes below zero a few times a winter.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Thanks for your report.

I’m a big fan of a Voyage Air guitars and have owned half a dozen over the years.
Currently I have two OM-06 models and an OM-02, the all laminate model, that I took to an open mic just last night.

For those who may not know, the 04 mentioned here has laminate back and sides and a solid top.
The 06 and 04 models are essentially the same build,
with some trim differences and a different case.
I had an 04 and really liked the creamy white binding, and so did my buddy, so I gave it to him.
It’s become his camping guitar.

But the OP’s point is that these are well built, stable guitars that are not fragile.
I concur.
Although I do handle mine with care, trying to avoid extreme or abrupt changes in temperature and/or humidity,
it’s good to know yours has held up well without being “babied”.

The main reason I keep my 02 is to have the freedom you have experienced with your 04.
I’ve left my 02 out in the car, sometimes for a week at a time, and taken it outdoors in all ranges of temp/humidity.
Campfires are the big challenge.. where the front is exposed to the heat while the back is not.

Maybe I’ve been too worried about a top crack happening on my solid top models.
But then, having my 02 with laminate top, there’s really no need to temp fate.
Btw, the tonal differences between my 02 and 06 are noticeable but negligible.. my 02 sounds very good.. clearly the best sounding all laminate guitar I’ve ever heard.

Thanks for posting how tuff your Voyage Air is, and providing me an opportunity to praise the brand, as I often do.
Maybe they should make me a sponsored spokesman.
Yeah.. now there’s an idea!

Last edited by woodbox; 12-12-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

As those who own them know, these are great guitars in their own right. Mine doesn't give way much to my 000-15S or Taylor 614ce although that's apples vs. oranges. I've casually looked for a rosewood b&s OM but they are kind of rare from what I can tell.

Taking a chance on my "flawed" Voyage Air is easily the best few hundred dollars I've spent on a guitar. I am floored by how well it's held up to my neglect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion