The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It's coming along. I like the lobster pillow in the background ... at least I think it's a pillow. Might make a good theme for a guitar
it is a lobster pillow! lol I've taken many naps outside using that pillow lol

Build Thread:Cocobolo And Sitka Spruce
Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM

I love the figure on this top. Bearclaw sitka

getting ready to brace the top

Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 PM

I've been busy so I haven't had much time to take pics or even work on the guitar.. just got off of a cruise ... I ate a lot of food lol. my top is almost finished with bracing and being toned/tuned/voiced what ever lol...

I made the end graft today, took me forever for some reason.. not sure why lol.
heres a pic

its flamed maple inside.. cocobolo from when we cut the sides to fit, then flamed maple on the outside.

I like it

Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM

welp... pretty sure no one is reading this thread anymore lol. Im going to keep updating it though. got the top voiced today so its ready to be put on the sides. tomorrow were bracing the back and voicing it then i will seal the box up. and after that on to the scary part... binding (Dun Dun DUUUUUUUUUUU)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM

im reading, but ive never done this, nothing to offer, just admiring your patience
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkstarfish View Post
im reading, but ive never done this, nothing to offer, just admiring your patience
haha thanks. glad to see some people read it.

It is encouraging to know some people care about what a highschooler is doing lol

Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM

I think it looks great, take one step at a time. We're watching!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDildy View Post
welp... pretty sure no one is reading this thread anymore lol. Im going to keep updating it though. got the top voiced today so its ready to be put on the sides. tomorrow were bracing the back and voicing it then i will seal the box up. and after that on to the scary part... binding (Dun Dun DUUUUUUUUUUU)
LOL! Hopefully you only have to do the binding once! I'm tearing off my first attempt and I'm two years into my first build!

BTW, if you get through binding unscathed, watch out: setting the neck is a real challenge too. The process is repetitive but a lot rides on doing it right.

BTW, moar pics plz.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
LOL! Hopefully you only have to do the binding once! I'm tearing off my first attempt and I'm two years into my first build!

BTW, if you get through binding unscathed, watch out: setting the neck is a real challenge too. The process is repetitive but a lot rides on doing it right.

BTW, moar pics plz.
Ill post more pics when Tomorrow of the bracing and stuff. I really hope I only have to do binding once. Im so far 6 months into this one I think.. But its not really Fair I was away from the guitar at school at that time so it doesn't count.. Im going to a lumber yard to pick up some extra flamed maple and I might grab ebony for the fretboard... Im thinking I have too much cocobolo on this guitar lol. what does everyone think? its cocobolo headstock veneer, bridge, and fretboard.. I think the ebony will break it up nicely any other opinions?

Edit: Or I could get a decent piece of ebony, Get a headstock veneer out of it, and enough for a bridge... what do you guys think?

Really I'm just looking for a way to break it up. so any suggestions? since I'm going to get more wood tomorrow I can pick some more wood up to break the color up hopefully

Last edited by TreDildy; 07-25-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDildy View Post
Ill post more pics when Tomorrow of the bracing and stuff. I really hope I only have to do binding once. Im so far 6 months into this one I think.. But its not really Fair I was away from the guitar at school at that time so it doesn't count.. Im going to a lumber yard to pick up some extra flamed maple and I might grab ebony for the fretboard... Im thinking I have too much cocobolo on this guitar lol. what does everyone think? its cocobolo headstock veneer, bridge, and fretboard.. I think the ebony will break it up nicely any other opinions?

Edit: Or I could get a decent piece of ebony, Get a headstock veneer out of it, and enough for a bridge... what do you guys think?

Really I'm just looking for a way to break it up. so any suggestions? since I'm going to get more wood tomorrow I can pick some more wood up to break the color up hopefully
Well it depends what you're looking to achieve. There is nothing wrong with a lot of the same wood on a guitar, but there is a fine line there I think. You can either make it look awesome or it could be too much. I've built a guitar with the following for coco: back and sides, head plate, back of head plate, fretboard, bridge, bridge patch, tuners, rosette and the radial purflings. All the coco is some really nice figured stuff and it looks pretty solid. Could be too much for the folks that like simple but I like it.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks Lavrov View Post
Well it depends what you're looking to achieve. There is nothing wrong with a lot of the same wood on a guitar, but there is a fine line there I think. You can either make it look awesome or it could be too much. I've built a guitar with the following for coco: back and sides, head plate, back of head plate, fretboard, bridge, bridge patch, tuners, rosette and the radial purflings. All the coco is some really nice figured stuff and it looks pretty solid. Could be too much for the folks that like simple but I like it.
I think if I do my inlays on the fretboard and on the headstock with flamed maple, I'm also binding the neck and headstock in flamed maple it should look good.. Oh well if it doesn't its not going to be the last guitar I build

Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM

so went to the lumber yard today for some flamed maple to make my binding on my fretboard and headstock out of... They had this NICE looking piece of Honduran rosewood with sapwood in the middle. Then they had cocobolo with sapwood on sale for 7.75 a board foot. so we picked up some to do my headstock with and some extra. Also got some sitka spruce to make braces out of for later guitars and then mahogany... what was going to be a small trip to get some maple turned out to being us strapping wood on top of the jeep lol. Ill have pics later

Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Subscribed and watching Tre...It is inspiring to see someone going outside the box and challenging themselves..

Taylor DN3E - -Gone but not forgotten
Martin D28 - Fishman Matrix Infinity
Takamine EG341SC - My Camping Companion

Old 07-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Just want to say, I think it's great that you're doing this. Bob Taylor built his first guitar in high school and look where he is today! You might enjoy his book, Guitar Lessons.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 07-27-2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks guys.
Jean; I have my friends asking me to build them guitars... they probably think its going to be cheap. but I'm not building anyone guitars and selling them until I'm completely satisfied with how they sound to me.. IDC if that takes me 40 guitars.. Ill just have 40 guitars haha..

Pic time

All braced up. Working on bracing the back right now.. About to put it under the go bar box and glue it on.. then I guess I seal the box up

Just have the sides sitting on the top to see how it looked. its pretty cool seeing this come a long knowing you did it. And then going to guitar center and looking at martin and taylor guitars and realizing that so far yours looks prettier hahaha. (There was sooo many guitars where they didnt clean out the glue squeeze out in the braces or anything... it just didnt look good) (Mine probably looks better to me cause I'm doing it.. Oh well)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop