The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
There is no one answer - guitars are highly subjective. I love Goodalls but some people say they are overbearing for strumming.
Taylors are too bright, Martins are too dull, Collings are too hi fi, bla bla ... [emoji28]
I live an hour drive north of Santa Cruz. I have played a bunch of Santa Cruz guitars at Sylvan Music. I haven't ever played one that came close to my Goodall or my Brazilian Larrivee. Beautiful guitars for sure, just not for me. But that's why this is the golden age of acoustic guitars, there is something for everyone.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 11-24-2019, 12:43 PM

I never had a mango ice cream that came close to my macadamia nut ice cream but hey that’s just me.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:30 PM

Living in Santa Cruz, put down roots here, found my bride here, raised my children here, now going gray here, sigh... I knew I'd be happy to own a SCGC. After a bit of searching, I did find one I liked. It's one of the best guitars I've played and has been my #1 for 15 years now.

My pearl of wisdom, or something like that: Have an idea what you want and buy the guitar that you like the best. SantaCruz make great ones, but if chimey Goodall is your thing, a SantaCruz won't bring lasting happiness. If you like slope-shouldered dreads, the very best SantaCruz OM in the world might never satisfy you. It's not the brand, it's the fit.

But you knew that. Anyway, come by and visit! The sun is shining, the surf is up, the butterflies are in town, the whales are frolicking off the coast. Vampires though...

Last edited by joeld; 11-24-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
Living in Santa Cruz, put down roots here, found my bride here, raised my children here, now going gray here, sigh... I knew I'd be happy to own a SCGC. After a bit of searching, I did find one I liked. It's one of the best guitars I've played and has been my #1 for 15 years now.

My pearl of wisdom, or something like that: Have an idea what you want and buy the guitar that you like the best. SantaCruz make great ones, but if chimey Goodall is your thing, a SantaCruz won't bring lasting happiness. If you like slope-shouldered dreads, the very best SantaCruz OM in the world might never satisfy you. It's not the brand, it's the fit.

But you knew that. Anyway, come by and visit! The sun is shining, the surf is up, the butterflies are in town, the whales are frolicking off the coast. Vampires though...
Joel, this was a delight to read. Are you a writer by trade?

Great stuff! Funny, and whip-smart.

scott memmer
Old 11-26-2019, 12:15 PM

SCGC makes excellent guitars, but my taste in guitars leans more towards some of Martin’s other children - Collings first, followed by Bourgeois.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

You may not find a SC guitar to fit you but you will always be impressed with them. It's like everyone is a personal piece of art made with love.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Yes they are.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin D-28 MD
Martin D12-28
Martin SPD-16T
Santa Cruz RS
Harmony Sovereign (first guitar)

My Band:
www.hwy-31.com
Old 12-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Silly, beautiful quiver there. Have you indicated in the past medical issues with your hands or fingers? The reason I ask is I've never had any issues with any necks, but I've also been blessed with very large hands and, aside from one incident of trigger thumb, never had issues. Just curious.

Again, a beautiful trio. Thanks for posting.

scott memmer
Hi Scott, yes I have hand issues. I've had carpal tunnel issues for years, but an understanding GP who knows where to inject the cortisone.

I had a trigger finger op a year ago (?) and the surgeon, lovely German lady told me that I have "Viking's Disease" Dupeytrans contracture which slowly pulls the fingers into the palm and locks them. I have the ridges in my palms and have to push my fingers hard to straighten some.

But, I am old Father William, and I will only need them to last another five to ten summers.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
Just wondering what kind of SCGC you have? Thanks!
Old 12-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Best guitar I ever played was a new SCGC H-13, in a shop in Atlanta. I wasn't in the market, but if I was I would own it.

Ed
Old 12-12-2019, 08:40 PM

A couple of years ago I attended a concert of around a dozen great musicians each playing a couple of songs. The best sounding guitar by far was an SC Janis Ian signature model, played by her.
For what it is worth.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:46 PM

I love my OM/PW.

Goufous
Collings UT1 Tenor Ukulele
Eastman 305 Mandolin
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Thomason Mountain Dulcimer
Deering Eagle ii Banjo
Homemade Wash Tub Bass
O'Riordon Tin whistle (Traveler Set)
Hammered Dulcimer by Jim Hudson
Old 12-12-2019, 10:47 PM

I am a lover of SC guitars. The 2 I own and know well have wonderful tone, projection and playability. The couple I have played that were close to my price range that I didn't buy I only blame myself. The one or two I dint find to have a magical sound I blame on old strings and substandard playing technique (mine). Life has been really good to me and I have and have had some very nice guitars. The Santa Cruz more than hold their own. Whenever I think about getting a guitar, think will it be better for me than a Santa Cruz. Any time one comes up for sale within a couple hour drive, I think about getting in the car and trying it out.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

I can't say I've ever played one that seemed to fit me well (about a dozen), but dang they're gorgeous. I'd love to try the Skye model....great specs and aesthetics on that one!!
Old 12-13-2019, 12:46 AM

I think what Santa Cruz write on their website is self-explanatory, and it's easier for me to just paste here than try to reword it better:

Heirloom Quality Instruments: Built for Sound, Durability and Repairability.

Hand voiced and tuned for a sophistication of sound that you won’t outgrow. Santa Cruz Guitars are built in strict climate control for stability. They are crafted with the experience of professional repair technicians for easy maintenance and to ensure successful future restoration.

Our Wood has a Story:

Reclamation, Sustainable Yield and Responsible Harvesting.

Downed trees, sunken logs, old tenements, building beams, master carpenter inventories… We find the most resonant, best-sounding wood possible by responsible means. Tonal qualities improve with age due to the resins that crystallize once the wood is removed from a living tree. We use this secret to enable our new guitars to possess a legitimate vintage sound from the start.

Hand Voicing for Balance, Tap Tuning for Complexity.

Most modern guitars are assembled from pre-shaped parts which possess random frequencies that can cancel out overtones and limit sustain. No wonder you have to search for “the good one.” We are employing the techniques of master violin luthiers to voice and tune by hand manipulating the dimensions of the top and bracing. This creates consistent harmony, sustain and sophistication of complex tone on every instrument we build.

Dovetail Joint:

Sonically Superior to a Bolt-On Neck or We Wouldn’t Take the Time to Do It.

The dovetail jointed neck allows us a considerable degree of control over the presence of the guitar. The tonal advantage of the dovetail is not a matter of opinion; it is supported by acoustic physics. The dovetail joint is a crucial element in voicing and tuning our guitars to be extremely responsive and powerful to the audience. The simplicity of our design facilitates undetectable removal for neck angle resetting or replacement due to trauma. Our dovetail design is the proven product of generations of master violin luthiers.

Built Light, but Not Fragile

Our durability comes from intelligent engineering, not extra weight. SCGC incorporates the engineering principles of parabolic and radiused bracings, giving each instrument additional power, resonance and durability. This gives them multiple times the strength at a fraction of the weight. Our first instruments are in their fourth decade of professional use, proving the soundness of SCGC’s ‘light but strong’ designs.

Plant Derived Nitro-Cellulose Finishes that Enhance Resonance and Repairability

Nitro-cellulose is the best finish for steel stringed instruments, period, which is why we spend the extra time and effort over cost efficient factory finishes. Cellulose IS wood, and by using it as the solids for our lacquer, we are putting a thin coat of wood on wood, enhancing resonance and ensuring restoration quality repairs. Modern factory finishes are like glass: nice looking, but if broken, your instrument is aesthetically compromised. If your guitar cannot be repaired; it is disposable. Nitro-Cellulose lacquer insures heirloom quality and superior sound.

We are Luthiers, Not CNC Guitar Kit Assemblers.

We are not restricted by the constraints of manufacturing efficiencies from building something personal and unique. We are truly a custom shop, and pride ourselves on the ability to hand make any aspect of the guitar to meet the design and acoustic preferences of our customers and dealers. Our only limits are physics and good taste.

We Build 400 Guitars a Year, What Large American Guitar Factories Do in a Day and a Half

At this modest number, we procure the top 1% of tonewoods and the world’s most passionate team of luthiers. Expertise and mastery can only be earned through practice, and our luthiers’ combined experience spans over a century. This solid foundation has enabled our guitar makers to become the best in the world at their specialties. Santa Cruz Guitar Company combines the timeless heritage of violin lutherie with a working camaraderie and ongoing symbiosis with some of the world’s top experts in acoustic science.

You Don’t Just Get an Extraordinary Guitar, You Get Exemplary Customer Support

Being a small shop enables us to handle everything personally, from our world class repair service to our friendly, dependable office staff. Our dedication to the livelihood of your guitar lasts as long as our warranty service: a lifetime. We allow you direct access to our in-house professional repair and restoration experts for timely service and technical advice. Richard Hoover, our founding luthier and internationally recognized authority on the acoustic guitar, is at your service for expert consultation on SCGC models, custom design and acoustic references.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion