The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Looking to further compact my gig kit for a one-trip load-in/out and the mic stand is always the odd piece. I'm wondering if anyone here uses this mic stand that collapses to 18" and can relate their experience, good or other.
I bought one at NAMM a couple years ago and like it for what it is, and ultra-lightweight stand for situations in which I may not want to carry my normal Ultimate Support stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
I've been gigging with a pair of these for more than a year. I use them as speaker stands for the tiny satellite speakers for my Lucas Nano 608i.

They are a little delicate but they are light and pack down very small. I've had no problem with them.

I also use a couple of them for mic stands in my very small home studio. In use they take up less room than conventional mic stands. No stability problems.
I tried using mine as a stand for my 608i and during the 2nd setup decided it was just too wobbly for me to care using it again. That's great that they're working for you, but it should be noted that each user really should check them out personally to make sure whether they will fit their own needs or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I own one, and I only use it because it packs in a suitcase for when i go on vacation. It is not a stand I would use for gigs...
My feelings exactly, and also the reason I liked them when I first tried one out.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM

Ill have to say these things look
a bit light. For those that own and gig
with these regularly. Do you have
to be carfull . Will they fully extend horizontally with a 58 in them and not tip
over??
Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Ill have to say these things look
a bit light. For those that own and gig
with these regularly. Do you have
to be carfull . Will they fully extend horizontally with a 58 in them and not tip
over??
Depends how fully you extend the tripod legs. Scrunching those up a bit increases the overall height but of course makes it less stable, a tinier triangle base. Flattened out everything is shorter but stable. I guess you could make it very unstable in that mode with a boom extended all the way horizontally.

At least as much of an issue is wobbliness. As said before this is not gonna work with Harmonica Guy. If you're just singing and not really eating it, it works.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 AM

I bought two for playing live and I find them a bit too flimsy. I do video work though and I love them for holding boom mics. Since they are in three rather than two sections, they can be set lower and are really good for miking an interview from just below the frame. This could be useful for recording guitar videos too where you wanted the mic to be out of sight just below the edge of the video frame.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Ill have to say these things look a bit light.
They are very light, and their good point is also their bad point. What these are great for is gigs where absolute minimal weight is most important and they need to be used with care. They are definitely no replacement for a normal mic stand, but I look forward to them making one that can bridge the gap a bit better, even if it weight just a little more.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Depends how fully you extend the tripod legs. Scrunching those up a bit increases the overall height but of course makes it less stable, a tinier triangle base. Flattened out everything is shorter but stable. I guess you could make it very unstable in that mode with a boom extended all the way horizontally.

At least as much of an issue is wobbliness. As said before this is not gonna work with Harmonica Guy. If you're just singing and not really eating it, it works.
I eat the mic all the time..Why is this
an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
They are very light, and their good point is also their bad point. What these are great for is gigs where absolute minimal weight is most important and they need to be used with care. They are definitely no replacement for a normal mic stand, but I look forward to them making one that can bridge the gap a bit better, even if it weight just a little more.
Thats kinda what i thought. Im always
looking for a way to reduce my trips from the car. but my mic is 10x the cost
of this mic stand. "two dollar head two dollar helmet." guess ill stick with the
antique i use now. Its heavy probably 30 lbs. but its never fallen over in 30 plus years.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:06 PM

Although a little larger, I've been using the compact Samson MK 10 stands for several years, without failure.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/pro...e-stands/mk10/

Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I eat the mic all the time..Why is this
an issue?
For some folks eating the mic means singing one millimeter away from it. No worries there! For others it means physically bouncing their mouth off the mic. If that mic is in this rig, it's gonna wobble all over the place.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Although a little larger, I've been using the compact Samson MK 10 stands for several years, without failure.
25 inches when compact, not bad.

Last edited by Chriscom; 01-17-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Its a tripod - 3 points supporting a pole - its just the way it works - the more weight you have low, and the larger diameter of the base, thats about all you got to make it stable -
Old 01-18-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Thats kinda what i thought. Im always looking for a way to reduce my trips from the car.
If you were closer by I'd let you borrow mine so you could check it out yourself, but in the meantime, I just ordered one of the Samson MK10 stands that ricdoug posted about.

My Ultimate Support stand is absolute perfection, but I'm hoping that for the gigs where weight matters, the Samson will help make life a little easier too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Just ordered, on your recommendation.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:50 AM

If this doesn't work out for me then I'll just continue carrying and swearing at regular mic stands ... I've seen/tried many so-called compact stands, but they are not compact enough for my use. And I think the goSTAND is stable enough ... as I set it up in my previous post.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:08 AM

Used it at a band gig last night. No problem with stability with my SM 58 and iPad mounted. We’ll see how long it holds together.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Used it at a band gig last night. No problem with stability with my SM 58 and iPad mounted. We’ll see how long it holds together.
Please update once you've had it out a few times. I'm very curious about durability and stability.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:41 PM

I have 4 or 5 short stands that I made by cutting the main tube of standard tripod stands. I did this to have stands that are more compact for use when seated, but the side benefit is they are much smaller to travel with. Since they have shortened booms on them they will extend high enough to use while standing, too. I have one in the photo holding the condenser mic and there's a folded one leaning against the bass amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification