The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-17-2019, 06:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default FedEx LOST a Guitar I shipped to the U.K. 3/16-FOUND AND DELIVERED!!!

I am at my wits' end. I am disgusted, dispirited, angry, and frustrated. I'm sorry to come off as a downer, but I need to know if anyone here has had a similar experience, or can offer any useful advice to me and my client, A.J. from Surrey, U.K.

What happened: I built a custom Eclipse OM guitar for a client (I'll call him "A.J." for now, but invite him to chime in too), who lives in the U.K., near Surrey. It is a very distinctive instrument, embellished with a few inlay elements that reflect A.J.'s passionate interest in physics and Einstein's theories and life. No one will ever mistake this guitar for some random cookie-cutter guitar.

I booked shipping online via FedEx, and took the package to the local FedEx contractor on Monday morning, November 25. That afternoon, it was transported to the Mobile AL hub, and then to the SE international hub in Memphis TN, arriving on Tuesday afternoon. The guaranteed delivery date was supposed to be Friday, November 29.

It cleared US Customs for overseas shipment on Wednesday, and then, IT DISAPPEARED. At first, we weren't too worried, as this is the busiest time of the year for FedEx, and since A.J. had opted for economy class shipping to save some money, we figured it had just been delayed temporarily.

By the following Monday, there was no movement. The tracking was stalled. So I sent an email to FedEx Customer support,asking what was going on. NO RESPONSE FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK. I called the 1-800 number, got shunted around a maze of autobots, finally getting one that directed me to enter the tracking number. It told me that the package was out for delivery. That information, to put it charitably, was inaccurate. For the next several days, still no information, no tracking updates, no NOTHING from FedEx.

I received zero replies to my emailed requests for information. The package had apparently disappeared from the face of the Earth, and FedEx Customer Support was a fifty-foot-tall brick wall.

Here we are, twenty two days later, and STILL stuck at a dead stop. No guitar, no useful info, and no recourse. The package with A.J.'s guitar in it has apparently entered another dimension.

After two weeks plus of going down a dozen blind alleys, trying to find a live human to talk to at FedEx, finally I was able to speak with an agent in international shipping. She looked at all the info she could find, and came up empty. She initiated a case to investigate and search for the package. First I was told the package had arrived in the U.K. and cleared Customs over there on Thursday, Nov. 28. I received two follow-up calls, asked a ton of questions, and then was told the package never made it across the big pond. It was lost after it was cleared for shipment by US Customs in Memphis.

A.J. and I are still hoping and praying that the package turns up, undamaged, and the delivery is finally accomplished without further incident. I have a feeling in my gut that we'll have a happy ending to this saga, or at least a resolution. But I'm fuming mad at FedEx. It's looking like we will need to file a claim.

I have shipped guitars numerous times with FedEx, and except for one smashed Hoffee case, there's never been a problem. They paid in full for the smashed case the day after I filed the damage claim. I figured I could still trust them.

Here are some photos of the guitar...

A.J.'s guitar has Wenge back and sides and a bearclaw Sitka top. Bindings and trim are Koa, and the neck is Black Walnut. Also, Laskin-style arm and rib bevels. There is an atomic symbol inlaid on the back, and an inlay of Einstein's Time Cone is on the front of the headstock. One the back of the headstock is a Compass Rose. The fingerboard has blue Azurite and copper dots, to symbolize Carl Sagan's "Tiny blue dot", the way Earth looks from space.

And somewhere on that small blue dot in space that we all call Home, this guitar still exists. I am hoping and praying it turns up, and A.J. enjoys it for a long time.

Has anyone else out there had an experience like this with any shipper? How did it work out for you? Do you have any advice for A.J. and me? And may I ask everyone who sees this post, take a moment and send out some good energy, or a prayer, for a happy outcome? A.J. is a great guy, a wonderful human being, and he deserves the best of good fortune.

Grateful thanks to everyone.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 03-18-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Really, really sorry to hear this. FedEx is notoriously horrible, and for the record, I will never purchase a guitar from any store or individual that ships with that company.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 12-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Musical minimalist

Oh man,, I HATE to hear this. I've had one minor issue with shipping internationally and it thankfully scared me away from the thought of ever doing it with an instrument.

The chance, alone, of customs packing and re-packing it was enough to freak me out.

I sure hope this all comes out in the end for you - I suspect it will show up - I've had Fedex "lose" a pair of PA speakers for 30 days once, then they showed up out of the blue.

We'll keep the hope for you....My advice to you would to be make a LOT of phone calls - don't let them off the hook on this (which I'm sure you are not!)

Old 12-17-2019, 06:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Really, really sorry to hear this. FedEx is notoriously horrible, and for the record, I will never purchase a guitar from any store or individual that ships with that company.
Duly noted, thanks for your input. My experience with FedEx for a number of years was pretty good, and I figured they could be trusted. While this disaster was unfolding, I searched online for complaints against FedEx, and it was one horror story after another, after another...I've had bad experiences with UPS also, and stopped shipping with them several years ago.

Does anyone know, is there ANY international shipper that is careful and competent with our very valuable packages?
Old 12-17-2019, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Oh man,, I HATE to hear this. I've had one minor issue with shipping internationally and it thankfully scared me away from the thought of ever doing it with an instrument.

The chance, alone, of customs packing and re-packing it was enough to freak me out.

I sure hope this all comes out in the end for you - I suspect it will show up - I've had Fedex "lose" a pair of PA speakers for 30 days once, then they showed up out of the blue.

We'll keep the hope for you....My advice to you would to be make a LOT of phone calls - don't let them off the hook on this (which I'm sure you are not!)
Thanks for your reply.
In 2015, I ordered a custom Karura carbon fiber case for a very special client. They are built in Thailand. The case went missing for five weeks after they shipped it to me. I had a feeling that it would turn up, and sure enough, it did, in perfect shape. I got an email from the shop manager at Karura, and he said they told him the package had been put in a storage room by a Customs employee who wasn't paying attention.
Fingers crossed, some sleep-deprived warehouse guy in Memphis did the same thing, an we'll soon get a phone call announcing it has been found.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Smile USPS...

I had USPS loose a guitar I shipped to Chicago. I had insured thru USPS and less than a month later they paid off with a check.

Then, fortunately, before I could cash it I got an email from Chicago Music Exchange saying it was there. But USPS did not know anything about it!!!

Three separate inquiries yielded NO results, but it was there and fine so I went to my PO and gave the postmistress the check back.

Long story short, ALL THE SHIPPERS occasionally mess up. The law of averages and Murphy can not be eternally denied.

Hope your sad saga has a happy ending!!!

It sure is a beauty.

Have a wonderful Christmas either way!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Really sorry to hear this Steve--it really looks to be a beautiful and unique instrument.

Sending out positive vibes and prayers for you and A.J. that it got lost in an Einstein dimension momentarily and will appear safely soon.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Duly noted, thanks for your input. My experience with FedEx for a number of years was pretty good, and I figured they could be trusted. While this disaster was unfolding, I searched online for complaints against FedEx, and it was one horror story after another, after another...I've had bad experiences with UPS also, and stopped shipping with them several years ago.

Does anyone know, is there ANY international shipper that is careful and competent with our very valuable packages?
I think you'll find plenty of horror stories from EVERY courier - I've got a lot of friends (many on here) who can tell whoppers about each one. One thing I can tell you, is that (as of the last I knew) when you have a claim with Fedex, you are speaking with Fedex employees. With USPS and UPS, it's a third party company that is likely being paid to deny your claims. I had the company representing UPS (which my good friend and UPS driver of 35 years had never heard of) play a shell game with me for 3 months over a 200.00 issue that was pretty cut and dried.

It's just epedemic these days....every courier is chaotic all the time, but during the heightened Holiday season, it's obviously much worse.

Call them every two days until you hear something.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I had USPS loose a guitar I shipped to Chicago. I had insured thru USPS and less than a month later they paid off with a check.

Then, fortunately, before I could cash it I got an email from Chicago Music Exchange saying it was there. But USPS did not know anything about it!!!

Three separate inquiries yielded NO results, but it was there and fine so I went to my PO and gave the postmistress the check back.

Long story short, ALL THE SHIPPERS occasionally mess up. The law of averages and Murphy can not be eternally denied.

Hope your sad saga has a happy ending!!!

It sure is a beauty.

Have a wonderful Christmas either way!

Paul
Thank you, Paul. Merry Christmas to you and yours, and best of good fortune in 2020!
Let's all wish A.J. an especially happy Christmas too, and visualize this guitar safely and gladly in his hands by then.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Really sorry to hear this Steve--it really looks to be a beautiful and unique instrument.

Sending out positive vibes and prayers for you and A.J. that it got lost in an Einstein dimension momentarily and will appear safely soon.
Thanks- I think A.J. will really appreciate that.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Hope it works out, that is an awesome looking guitar!
Old 12-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I've never had any trouble with Fedex - until now.

There's been a ton of traffic on our neighbourhood Facebook and Nextdoor sites about both UPS and Fedex, and how they are utterly overwhelmed this year.

We participate in a seafood 'share' - a monthly box of frozen fish shipped from the Pacific Northwest to us in Minnesota. This month's shipment arrived at the Fedex location 8 miles from our house last Friday. It was delivered yesterday - 4 days later, with no meaningful status updates in the meantime - thawed and spoiled.

The supplier has told us that Fedex has been letting them down badly this season. Thankfully, they are going to reship - we'll see if they can actually deliver.

I hope the guitar shows up - it's hardly equivalent to 5 or 6 pounds of fish, but the mission of the carrier is the same in both cases.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-17-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Sorry to disagree, but I have received and shipped lots of stuff (dozens and dozens of items) including guitars, amps, stomp boxes, accessories and the like via Fed Ex with not one single issue.
I really am sorry you have had such unfortunate experiences but to say they are “notoriously horrible” is inaccurate and unfair IMHO.
They’ve been just fine by me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

What a bummer... that's awful news about a gorgeous guitar. I've never shipped with anybody except FedEx and never once had a problem. Hope some good news is coming your way.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Sorry to disagree, but I have received and shipped lots of stuff (dozens and dozens of items) including guitars, amps, stomp boxes, accessories and the like via Fed Ex with not one single issue.
I really am sorry you have had such unfortunate experiences but to say they are “notoriously horrible” is inaccurate and unfair IMHO.
They’ve been just fine by me.
I think there's a consensus shaping up here that, speaking of ALL shipping companies, they are "just fine", until they're NOT. I was saying the same thing.
The main thing that got me sizzling mad was the nearly two weeks of no replies, no culpability, no help, no NOTHING from FedEx.
That said, I should also note that the FedEx agent who is in charge of this case is very helpful and decent, and I believe she really is trying to help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop