The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 PM

Default Martin SC 13e controls?

Like almost everyone else I have way too much time on my hands these days. So I started looking at the new Martin SC 13e reviews and although I'm a Taylor guy, considering adding it to the collection later this year. Obviously I can't visit a store today to check it out. The one thing I don't understand is where the onboard electronics controls are located. It looks like they are in the sound hole as is the onboard tuner. Can someone talk about this. Thanks.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 01:19 PM

Martin is putting the controls in the sound hole, so I assume this will fit the typical pattern.

If you are right handed, and holding the guitar as if you are playing it, insert your finger into the sound hole on the side closest to the bass E string. There is just enough space to reach in and rotate the 2 dials located just under the edge of the top. You can't see them from there, but you will feel them. In the Road Series, they also have a tuner with a readout on the opposite side of the sound hole. You CAN see it in this position so you can tune without an external tuner. It mutes the output when used to avoid sending it out to the audience.

They are very unobtrusive which is something I like about them.

If I have it wrong, I am sure someone will be along shortly to point it out.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Like almost everyone else I have way too much time on my hands these days. So I started looking at the new Martin SC 13e reviews and although I'm a Taylor guy, considering adding it to the collection later this year. Obviously I can't visit a store today to check it out. The one thing I don't understand is where the onboard electronics controls are located. It looks like they are in the sound hole as is the onboard tuner. Can someone talk about this. Thanks.
Correct, the Martin SC-13E volume & tone controls are hidden inside the soundhole (upper lip) and the tuner is inside the bottom lip of the soundhole. Very discreet. It's the Fishman MX-T system.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-25-2020, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys. Is the battery in there too? So to change out the battery the strings come off or are loosened?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

The battery is in a compartment at the output jack. This isn't a very good pickup though. It's the same as the Sonotone with an added tuner. The Sonotone is the cheapest, lowest rated pickup used. Look up reviews of it. It not only has poor plugged in tone, it hurts acoustic tone also.

I took the complete Sonotoneout of one of my guitars and replaced it with a JJB. It now sounds great both plugged and unplugged. On another, I removed the UST and just taped it to the side of the guitar. I ordered a replacement solid UST for it. I'm waiting for it but I'm now at my Upstate house so I might not ever get it. I'll order another when this is all over.

I don't know why Martin doesn't supply a better pickup with this guitar. It seems like it's meant to be plugged in. They could have gone with a Matrix or even better, for just a little more and got better sound.

I think they'll sell a lot of these and then a lot of people will be changing the pickups.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:38 AM

A ToneDexter would perfect the acoustic tone. If you have an IR loader one of my IRs can do something similar.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

That's great if you already have a Tondexter, but it cost's $400. These are being marketed as ''stage ready'' guitars. Add $400 to the cost and you can get a much better guitar. And it will have a better pickup
Old 03-26-2020, 02:55 PM

Thanks again....whew. Probably move the Martin down the "to do" list. Certainly happy with my Taylors for now. I appreciate all the great advice.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played an SC-13e. I really wasn't in a hurry to play it. If I was to get one, the first thing I'd do is to change the pickup.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
It's the same as the Sonotone with an added tuner. The Sonotone is the cheapest, lowest rated pickup used. Look up reviews of it. It not only has poor plugged in tone, it hurts acoustic tone also.

I took the complete Sonotoneout of one of my guitars and replaced it with a JJB. It now sounds great both plugged and unplugged. On another, I removed the UST and just taped it to the side of the guitar. I ordered a replacement solid UST for it. I'm waiting for it but I'm now at my Upstate house so I might not ever get it. I'll order another when this is all over.

I don't know why Martin doesn't supply a better pickup with this guitar. It seems like it's meant to be plugged in. They could have gone with a Matrix or even better, for just a little more and got better sound.

I think they'll sell a lot of these and then a lot of people will be changing the pickups.
I agree. Its awful plugged in as shipped.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification