The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2020, 08:30 PM

Default Bad hum on Martin HD28E Retro when plugged in?

I get a bad hum on my Martin HD28-E Retro whenever it gets plugged in and was wondering if any one of you might have experienced this before? I have a feeling it's the Aura electronics that is causing this as I can get the hum to stop when I randomly place a finger or two on the Aura PCB board.

Wondering if any one has any advice for me? I am located outside of the US so sending it back to Martin is going to be tough here.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Are there any Authorized Martin Repair Centers or decent guitar techs in your neck of the woods???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-25-2020, 08:40 PM

bad cord maybe
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Are there any Authorized Martin Repair Centers or decent guitar techs in your neck of the woods???
Yeah, will be considering that option if I can't get it fixed soon.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbren View Post
bad cord maybe
Cord works fine with my other guitars.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 PM

Roughly, it sounds like a grounding problem to me, but I’d have to know a lot more about the Aura system to venture more. On an electric, I’d be checking the grounding on the pickups.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Based on the way you phrase the question can we assume you bought new with Aura installed by Martin, thus you're looking for warranty service? Having eliminated a bad cord or amp problem, if it stops when you touch the board it sounds like a bad ground or "solder" somewhere, or just a "bad board" in general. I'd think Martin would rather a local certified tech look at it. A competent Martin certified tech should be able to track down the cause and quickly repair. (PS: be prepared that you may have to deal with Fishman not Martin on a warranty issue.)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:16 AM

Sounds like a grounding issue. If I remember correctly the Aura is based around a Matrix under saddle pickup element. If the shielding coating on the pickup gets scratched or damaged it will cause a loud hum.

Pull out the saddle and check the state of the pickup underneath - it doesn’t have to be a major scratch for it to be a problem, just through the shielding to the metal underneath.

If the element is undamaged then the grounding issue is elsewhere - start by checking that the wiring on the output jack is whole; the ground wire might have come loose.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-26-2020, 05:26 AM

There is no one guitar cord that works with everything. I've had cords that worked great and thought the same thing until I had a ground hum on my acoustic once. I went through the logical list and found the "good" cord did not work on this particular guitar. Guess what, it was a Martin with aura too.Try a Mogami guitar cord.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Sounds like a grounding issue. If I remember correctly the Aura is based around a Matrix under saddle pickup element. If the shielding coating on the pickup gets scratched or damaged it will cause a loud hum.

Pull out the saddle and check the state of the pickup underneath - it doesn’t have to be a major scratch for it to be a problem, just through the shielding to the metal underneath.
A damaged Matrix UST is the likely culprit. The foil shield is easily damaged. Have you removed the guitar's saddle lately?

Next I would check the connector between the UST and the preamp PCB. I don't know what the latest ones use but it has been screw connectors in the past. The ground screw (no harm in tightening both) may be loose.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 AM

if you can touch the endpin jack and the hum goes away, that's a ground loop.

Try different outlets in your house.

Try to float the ground on your amp by using a three prong to two prong adapter for the outlet.

If you take it to another location, chances are, it wont hum at all.

I've been down this road a few times, it's frustrating...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification