The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM

Default DTAR Multisource + ???

Hi! I'm equipping my Taylor 110 with a DTAR Multisource. I've been looking up DI's to go with it (Acoustimax, Baggs PADI, Fishman Pro platinum, Ultrasound Plus, can't decide!). My question: since the multisource already has a preamp, do I really need any of these boxes? Am I better off just getting an EQ unit like the MXR M108 and plugging directly into the PA? (some places in which I play have DI's too)

My head is going to explode from all the research on the DIs, and I'm tight on time as my friend is coming back from the US next week and he's the one getting me the gear! Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM

It is not absolutely necessary. However, with the Multisource you do have the option to separate the UST and mic channels and mix them externally, which could result in even better sound since you can EQ the two sources separately. And to do that you'd need an stereo preamp like the DTAR Soltice. But if you just want to control the mix with the soundhole wheel you do not need another preamp.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 AM

I believe your preamp gives you volume and blend control. This is a very basic preamp and might be fine for the occasional plug and play. It is not a D.I. though. A D.I. converts your unbalanced high -impedance instrument cable to a balanced low-impedence mic cable. You almost always need this to plug in to a sound system. Some mixers offer instrument inputs but if you are running long cable runs, mic cables are much more resistant to noise so it's better to use a DI box to switch from your instrument cable to mic cable as soon as possible in your signal chain to reduce noise problems. You could potentially get a basic DI box without any EQ options but since you don't have those options on your built in preamp I would highly recommend getting one of the DIs with EQ options. This will allow you to shape your tone and I think notch filters and phase switches are a must for feedback control. Especially having the microphone on your pickup system, you will very likely have feedback issues. I also think having a sweepable mid eq is very important as guitars respond very differently in that mid range so it's nice to be able to have control of what specific mid frequency you are controlling.

Of the devices you mentioned I've only used the PARA DI. It is an excellent device that gives you all the control you need. The Fishman looks interesting with the smooth or compression option (might be an added bonus). I probably wouldn't use the smooth knob but the EQ section looks good. The Acoustimax offers the pedal format, mute switch, and maximizer which can add brilliance if your guitar sounds too mellow. The Ultrasound is lacking in EQ so I wouldn't get it. The extra $20 for the Fishman with more EQ control is well worth it.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 AM

Ok I now get the importance of having a DI. Now since I'll be getting the MXR M108 10-band graphic EQ, then I like your proposition of a basic DI without EQs. Are there any DI's that provide such options as notch filter, compression, feedback control, etc (like those of the Acoustimax) without any EQs since I have that taken care of? If not I guess I'll have to get something like the Acoustimax and set its EQ to flat and use its other options. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM

What I mean is that since I'm going to have the MXR, which DI has better features if we neglect the EQ in them? I figure that would make their ranking easier to establish... Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 AM

What about a passive DI like the Radial JDI?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM

OK I'd be really grateful to anyone who answers this:

My setup: Dtar multisource + MXR M108 + Digitech Rv-7 + DI to choose

I might get a semi-acoustic soon and I'd like my gear to be compatible with both my acoustic and the semi-acoustic.

1- I'm guessing something like the Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum would only work for the acoustic? Plus I don't need the EQ. So maybe it's better to get a DI like the Radial JDI or J48?

2- If I get such a DI, would the active or passive be better with my setup? I have a preamp in the multisource so I thought about getting the passive, but the semi-acoustic wouldn't have a preamp (I think?) so maybe it's better to get the active that would work with both?

3- Last thing: feedback, compression, all the features (besides EQ) that are available in preamps/DIs like the Acoustimax, Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum etc. Should I worry about that? I figure the Radial DI will be enough before plugging into a PA?

I know nobody's been answering but I keep hoping someone will! Stressed to death!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Ive used the multisource wired mono with the Fishman Platinum Pre and it sounded great, I've also wired it stereo and used it with the DTAR Solstice. That is a match made to work perfectly, but the EQ is not that effective for surgical tweaks, so I added the DTAR Equinox to the Solstice via one of it's inserts.

Lately though, I've substituted the Solstice/Equinox with a Allen and Heath ZED10FX (which is cheaper than the Soltice), and with it's low cut filters, and sweepable mid EQ, it works great for getting out the low end rumbles, and the honky mids. It also has some decent effects as a bonus. As a matter of fact it became my whole PA mixer for my solo shows!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks for your answer. I can't get anything that's big/bulky, friends from Europe and the US are getting me each a piece of equipment (I'm in the Middle East) and I'm trying to keep everything as compact and light as possible. I considered the Solstice, but for now I'd rather keep it simple and run it mono, but I like having the option to switch later. Any advice regarding the other questions?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
di box, dtar, graphic eq, multisource, mxr