The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Default X-20 Artisan

I’ll try to get better pics of it, but this thing is hard to photograph. Just a mirror-polished black hole of inky nothingness. Like my soul. lol

Sounds amazing. Very loud to my ear, perhaps due to the placement of the soundhole. The low E is a bit thumpy, more like a Martin D than a Taylor GA-sized guitar. I’ve noticed that on other guitars I’ve owned with soundports. I think switching strings to my new favorite, Nano HDs, will help.

I think the ultimate compliment is the one my wife gave it. I was playing in the LR and she was puttering in the kitchen (our house has the “great room” concept where the two are adjacent). After a few minutes, she said, “It sounds exactly like a wood guitar. I’d never know by listening it was made of carbon fiber.”

Action is good but I will ask my luthier to lower it a smidge to suit my taste. I like the string spacing. It feels a bit wider than I expected giving me plenty of room but not so wide as to cause more than moment’s adjustment after playing one of my other guitars.

The neck is very similar to my Taylors, perhaps a tiny bit flatter. I’d love to have one with a V profile. I have a Perry Bechtel Martin (based on a ‘30s OM) with a big pronounced V and like it very much. Perhaps someday.

I’ve only plugged it in for a moment to verify it works so I won’t comment on the electronics until I’ve had more time. I don’t play out so it’s not terribly important to me.

Anyways, I’m loving it. It’s wonderful to be able to keep it downstairs and not worry about humidity yet still have a guitar that plays, sounds and looks so nice. It’s a keeper.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Gary, always nice to see another one join the ranks. I have TI Plectrums on mine and the sound is great, may try the nano HD's next since they work so well on the other CF's I have and are a bit cheaper. They ARE hard to photograph, but yours still looks blue. LOL Beautiful guitar, congrats.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 PM

They are hard to photograph, except using a direct flash or strong daylight. It is a testament to the excellent quality of Emerald's studio photos that the colors pop so brilliantly. Regardless of the color, they tend to look black most of the time -- woodies excepted, of course. There should have been a USB flash card in the packaging with their photos of your guitar. It looks like business card.......

Make sure to tweak the truss rod before taking it for any set-up work. Another poster here found the TR completely loose, and minimal tightening adjusted the relief enough to meet his expectation without saddle modifications.

Last edited by Earl49; 02-08-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fixde tpyoos
Old 02-08-2018, 04:31 PM

Mine is inky nothingness as well...Cool!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Your soul or your guitar?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Guest 928

Oh Gary! What a penetrating question.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-08-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Removed religious content
Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post

I think so.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-08-2018, 08:05 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Nice and congratulations! That's a cool little uke sitting back there too. And that little amp... So much fun for jamming around the house. I have one that looks like that and has a boss digital delay clone built-in.

JR
Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Nice and congratulations! That's a cool little uke sitting back there too. And that little amp... So much fun for jamming around the house. I have one that looks like that and has a boss digital delay clone built-in.

JR
Thanks, JR. The ukulele is by I’iwi. The amp is from a guy down in TX. Runs on batteries and has a built-in distortion circuit. I use it for my Cigar Box Guitars...which are a lot of fun, BTW.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Congrats - looks like that guitar has found a nice home!

I took a moment to lighten the image and ease some of the black out of it...

At first, I thought it might be a solid black, but with the lightening, I could see some CF weave... then, what looked like an unusual pick guard: nope, a reflection of an arm.

Nice, classy black X20!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:38 PM

I love it, “None more black”.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Just a mirror-polished black hole of inky nothingness. Like my soul. lol
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think so.
Masterful.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Seems like the late, great Johnny Cash might have gone for a carbon fiber guitar..... what with the whole "Man in Black" theme.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Guest 928

Some strong blues coming from this guitar would be a nice match of the visual and auditory.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
Masterful.
It's just the way we roll... and rock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber