The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Default Carbon Fibre Guitars - What’s The Deal?

I get that CF guitars are great for travel but you can get a Voyage-Air for half the price. The reviews I’ve read all seem to say that in one way or another they are sonically challenged. At their price point you can buy a nice wood guitar so my question - What’s the Deal with them?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I get that CF guitars are great for travel but you can get a Voyage-Air for half the price. The reviews I’ve read all seem to say that in one way or another they are sonically challenged. At their price point you can buy a nice wood guitar so my question - What’s the Deal with them?

oh boy.....
Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 PM

I don't know about "sonically challenged"

Here is a sound clip of my Larrivee OM-03R, my Wifes OM-03, and my Rainsong Shorty (000)

So, one Rosewood, one Mahogany, on Carbon Fiber.

https://soundcloud.com/rocket_song/3...-sound-samples

NOTE: Edit because I had the wrong Soundcloud link, sorry guys.

To me the big advantage is stability and maintenance.

If I don't keep a humidifier in the cases of the wooden guitars, they will crack in short order, and I have to refill those every 2 weeks. No worries about missing a week and CRACK with CF.

The other really cool thing is stability. I can tune my Rainsong in August in Phoenix, drive to San Diego and it will still be in tune in November.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 02-06-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 PM

“The reviews I’ve read all seem to say...”!??

You are not reading the same reviews I have read. Carbon fiber and alternative construction instruments are not sonically challenged in my opinion. I have several great wood guitars and one Rainsong CF Parlor. They are great and so is the Rainsong.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I don't think sonically challenged is a fair statement, there's been quite a few blind tests where people couldn't identify which guitar was which with CF guitars in the mix.
For me I have to say it's part of where you live, I'm in the Midwest and there's no way one of my nice wood guitars is going outside when it's -10 . Also playing a summer festival where, as always, they're running late and your gear has to sit in the car longer than planned, not good.
So for me, really hot days playing outdoors, cold weather transit especially when I don't have time for the guitar to slowly warm up. Anywhere there can be drunks and the crowd decides now's a good time to get on the stage. Campfires, Road trips, anywhere I don't want to risk an accident.
https://youtu.be/wJShYOODMzw sonically challenged??
Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 PM

"sonically challenged"?

I've not played a Voyage-Air so I can't speak on them but the concept is cool. Journey also does collapsible neck guitars, incidentally one of which is a carbon fiber model- the OF660. Why is that?

As has already been mentioned on here, there is been blindfold test performed where folks have had a hard time picking out the CF in the mix. For instance, back in 2012 Al Pettaway posted some clips of the Rainsong Shorty alongside three other very nice wood instruments, which included in 1934 Martin and a Tippin OM. Most could not pick out the CF nor could I. I went out and bought one.

Plus they just look good.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-06-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Language
Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Play a Journey Instruments OF660.
I was prepared not to like it over the OF420, which is made of wood.
I even went in with my mind made up...mostly based on the price.
I honestly liked the sound and playability of the 660 better.
Then a friend who is also a guitar dealer, and a very good player in his own right said he liked the 660.
When I fell into a small pile of money, I bought the 660 at my wife’s direction.
She has to deal with me when we travel and I bring a guitar.
She was all for the instrument that could withstand riding in the car, waiting in the hot car while we eat on the road.
Oh, I still take it into the hotel. But I’m so much more at ease.

Also, the 660 also sounds really good.
Not really good for what it is, but really good.
And currently with the house humidifier set at 45% to maintain about 25% in the house, my Journey is the only guitar out on the stand, ready to play.

Also, my work day often goes from 0430-1830 or later.
We have rehearsal on Thursday evenings at 1900 I can take the OF660 to work, and go right to rehearsal.
I can store it under the desk and it’s out of the way for the day.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

Last edited by Oldguy64; 02-06-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Default They are LOUD

First thing I noticed in playing the Rainsong Shorty is how very loud it is, and it is a 12-fret so that helps, but also the 14-fret Rainsong I owned for a while was also loud.

Their tone is different, more pure and piano like, not woody. I like woody so I no longer own a CF guitar.

If I had need of one for climatic issues, I would not hesitate to get another CF. I had no trouble immersing myself in the CF tone and playing on and on.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoFelix View Post
First thing I noticed in playing the Rainsong Shorty is how very loud it is, and it is a 12-fret so that helps, but also the 14-fret Rainsong I owned for a while was also loud.

Their tone is different, more pure and piano like, not woody. I like woody so I no longer own a CF guitar.

If I had need of one for climatic issues, I would not hesitate to get another CF. I had no trouble immersing myself in the CF tone and playing on and on.
Fwiw, Composite Acoustics guitars (made by Peavey) and Blackbird “eKoa” guitars are closest to having a woody sound. Composite guitars in general have a tone that has a place among all guitars...and not just for environmental reasons. All of the major builders are producing high quality instruments.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Carbon fiber guitars these days sound very good. Around my house they probably get more play time than the wood guitars because I can leave the CF guitars out on stands while the wood guitars are humidifying in their cases.
Awhile back I sat down with the Rainsong APLE model (now discontinued) and wrote a little song... all the tracks (except drums) are the APLE.
https://soundcloud.com/bluesjr/just-now-aple

JR
Old 02-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Not the first time we have seen a post like this in the CF sub-forum. Most of us who own carbon fiber guitars also own wood guitars. I would venture that most of us also became "curious" about carbon fiber because of their resilience, compared to wood guitars. And then, some of us discovered that we really like the tone of our carbon fiber guitars.

Delve into the different CF manufacturers, and you will find that, like wood guitar makers, they all have unique sounds. That said, they all sound like guitars. These are simply another viable option. So, "the deal" is: if you haven't tried them, you will never know. As a wood guitar player, you may have a brand that you prefer. Odds are pretty good you haven't tried every wood guitar; so there may be others, given the chance, that you would like better than what you are currently playing.

Some might ask, "What is the deal with your guitar preference?" Open your mind and let your ears and fingers explore what carbon fiber offers. Each brand is as different as the various wood brands.

My current favorite guitar is carbon fiber - I prefer the sound of it over my favorite wood guitar, a Taylor 814ce. Don't get me wrong, the Taylor is a very nice guitar. So is my Emerald X20 (the carbon fiber guitar mentioned). And, the shape, compound curves, and ergonomics of the X20 make it feel like it was made to fit me. Something that can be designed and moulded in to a CF guitar that would be much more difficult and expensive to do in wood.

You also aren't the first to discover that they are more expensive than a lot of wood guitars. BUT, they are in line price-wise with better wood offerings.

A lot of words here to say: the deal is: a lot of us like what carbon fiber builders are offering. It isn't just "something different" - just more great guitar options.

Hang around this sub-forum a bit - a wealth of information about CF among the participants.

Jim
Old 02-06-2018, 11:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Not the first time we have seen a post like this in the CF sub-forum. Most of us who own carbon fiber guitars also own wood guitars. I would venture that most of us also became "curious" about carbon fiber because of their resilience, compared to wood guitars. And then, some of us discovered that we really like the tone of our carbon fiber guitars.

Delve into the different CF manufacturers, and you will find that, like wood guitar makers, they all have unique sounds. That said, they all sound like guitars. These are simply another viable option. So, "the deal" is: if you haven't tried them, you will never know. As a wood guitar player, you may have a brand that you prefer. Odds are pretty good you haven't tried every wood guitar; so there may be others, given the chance, that you would like better than what you are currently playing.

Some might ask, "What is the deal with your guitar preference?" Open your mind and let your ears and fingers explore what carbon fiber offers. Each brand is as different as the various wood brands.

My current favorite guitar is carbon fiber - I prefer the sound of it over my favorite wood guitar, a Taylor 814ce. Don't get me wrong, the Taylor is a very nice guitar. So is my Emerald X20 (the carbon fiber guitar mentioned). And, the shape, compound curves, and ergonomics of the X20 make it feel like it was made to fit me. Something that can be designed and moulded in to a CF guitar that would be much more difficult and expensive to do in wood.

You also aren't the first to discover that they are more expensive than a lot of wood guitars. BUT, they are in line price-wise with better wood offerings.

A lot of words here to say: the deal is: a lot of us like what carbon fiber builders are offering. It isn't just "something different" - just more great guitar options.

Hang around this sub-forum a bit - a wealth of informfation about CF among the participants.

Jim
Jim, fwiw, this thread started out in the general forum and was moved here. Hopefully, being in the cf subforum, it will expose the OP to the wonderful world of the range of composite guitars and their many inherent attributes.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Carbon fiber guitars these days sound very good. Around my house they probably get more play time than the wood guitars because I can leave the CF guitars out on stands while the wood guitars are humidifying in their cases.
Awhile back I sat down with the Rainsong APLE model (now discontinued) and wrote a little song... all the tracks (except drums) are the APLE.
https://soundcloud.com/bluesjr/just-now-aple

JR
Great song! Can hear the clean sweet voice of CF.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Great song! Can hear the clean sweet voice of CF.

+1 on what Song said...ok..typed
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Hi BT ! Welcome to this cosy little corner of the forum.

Good folks here , very easy going, but there are some do’s and don’ts....

We don’t discuss temperature, humidification, torrefaction, ToneRite, or neck resets,

Nor loose frets, bindings, braces or bridges , or lemon oil vs. Dr. Duck’s AxWax.

We have also banished buckle rash.

Unless there’s some beginner here who went straight to composite, we ALL own plenty of wooden guitars , so do know a thing or two.

C’mon in , hang out, get yerself good n GASSED up !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber