The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-15-2017, 07:48 AM

Default Tenor guitar strings

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a tenor guitar, but the sound is a little brighter than I like. Has anyone used lower pitch strings? I was thinking of A-D-G-B like the center 4 strings on a regular guitar. Thank you for your input.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a tenor guitar, but the sound is a little brighter than I like. Has anyone used lower pitch strings? I was thinking of A-D-G-B like the center 4 strings on a regular guitar. Thank you for your input.
I tune my bouzar (8-string tenor, 23" scale) GDGC (same intervals as DADG) using pairs of .042, .029, .020w and .014 so it's definitely possible. You might need to have the intonation or nut slots adjusted for the thicker strings but I'd suggest that .039, .029, .020 and .014 (possibly .015) would work well on a standard 23" scale for that tuning.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Seen people use D-G-B-E to make the tenor more familiar to a guitar player. Most popular is C-G-D-A which is same as many tenor banjo players use as well as mandolin. Popular now is G-D-A-E, same as mandolin and octave mandolin.

I would think using A-D-G-B would make chord construction and scale patterns more difficult. The nature of the beast is going to be bright, that's what its for.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 AM

The chords and notes would match the 4 center strings on a regular guitar.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
The chords and notes would match the 4 center strings on a regular guitar.
Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having a tenor guitar? Just play those 4 strings of a 6 string.

Using a fifths tuning give you more options for chord voicings that will complement a 6 string, not duplicate it.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Seen people use D-G-B-E to make the tenor more familiar to a guitar player. Most popular is C-G-D-A which is same as many tenor banjo players use as well as mandolin. Popular now is G-D-A-E, same as mandolin and octave mandolin.
I used GDAE on mine, in theory, but mainly as it's not too far off my preferred tuning of GDGD, or sometimes I'll tune it to GDBD as I'm more familiar with open G on a guitar. It should be noted, I only noodle on it, I'm not a "real" tenor player. Every now an then I'll try 5th tuning chords but it's too weird....
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments