The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 AM

Default Best way to remove the sound hole thumbwheel for an UST?

Going to be removing the LR Baggs Element in my J45 and wondering if anyone can offer any tips for removing the volume control that sits just inside the sound hole without causing any damage to the guitar or controls? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

You should be able to just pull it off. Proceed with a bit of caution, but it should pop right off without too much trouble.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I would just wait until you have the new pickup you want installed, and then have the tech remove the old one and put in the new... that way, you can tell him to be sure to leave the old pickup in good shape for resale... although you don't like it, a lot of people really love the Element VTC transducer...

Did you decide on a new pickup yet? I didn't even chime in because it sounded like you already had an overwhelming amount of advice/suggestions, and also that you sound like a guy who isn't going to be happy with anything, regardless. Always a trade-off when amplifying an acoustic guitar... one ight think that we can put a guy in Outer Space, so why can't we get a great, affordable and versatile acoustic pickup, right? Just ain't gonna happen...

So I'd be interested in what, if anything, you have decided upon...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I would just wait until you have the new pickup you want installed, and then have the tech remove the old one and put in the new... that way, you can tell him to be sure to leave the old pickup in good shape for resale... although you don't like it, a lot of people really love the Element VTC transducer...

Did you decide on a new pickup yet? I didn't even chime in because it sounded like you already had an overwhelming amount of advice/suggestions, and also that you sound like a guy who isn't going to be happy with anything, regardless. Always a trade-off when amplifying an acoustic guitar... one ight think that we can put a guy in Outer Space, so why can't we get a great, affordable and versatile acoustic pickup, right? Just ain't gonna happen...

So I'd be interested in what, if anything, you have decided upon...
Ha! I am the tech. I'm doing it myself. Just peeled it off, and about to use some mineral spirits to get rid of the residue and clean the wood before sticking the new thumbwheel on. I ended up with an LR Baggs Lyric pickup and Venue DI.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Ha! I am the tech. I'm doing it myself. Just peeled it off, and about to use some mineral spirits to get rid of the residue and clean the wood before sticking the new thumbwheel on. I ended up with an LR Baggs Lyric pickup and Venue DI.
Good job.

I was going to say that sometimes removing the strings allows you to get a knife blade started tween the wood and the device. Then it's easier to pry/pop it off. If you're swapping pickups, the strings will be off anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification