The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 AM

Default TC Helicon Play Acoustic or VoiceLive 3 Extreme?

Initially I was just going to spring for the TC Helicon Play Acoustic, but am attracted to some features the VoiceLive 3 Extreme has, like automation, more flexible looper and the ability to record performances to the USB port/thumb drive. Seems like an awesome way to create decent sounding demos and ideas on the fly in addition to being able to use it as a standalone option to keep things super simple while playing live, so no need for external pedals, effects, etc.

But there's a part of me says just save some $$$ and go with the Play Acoustic, because a lot of the features including the electric guitar sounds of the VoiceLive 3 Extreme I'll never use. The Play Acoustic has a simple, decent looper, but then it doesn't have automation or the flexibility and ability to record like the VoiceLive 3 Extreme has.

Another part of me says to just try and keep it simple. I'm new to playing by myself (have just played with bands, and never sang before) and new to singing. I am guessing that since these devices have a pretty steep learning curve, at least for a while I'll be spending more time reading the manual and banging my head against the wall trying to learn the thing, and to stick with the original plan of just getting a device that allows for some nice EQ, reverb and compression on the vocals, and nice, but subtle guitar effects like reverb and the "Body Rez" feature that's sort of similar Im guessing to what my Fishman Aura Spectrum DI does. I just want to have a nice, clean acoustic sound, maybe throw in a simple loop now and then, but have no desire to have a ton of pre-arranged tracks or loops of other instruments, effects going while I play.

The VoiceLive 3 Extreme is really pricey, but seems like an all-in-one box for using it live, practicing at home AND recording internally, while the Play Acoustic is much more stripped down. And with that said, I do have a Macbook Pro and an interface and can run out of the Play Acoustic into the laptop into Garage Band or Logic if I ever want to record anything I'm playing.

So what's your opinion and experience with these devices?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM

Why not the plain vanilla VL3? If you have the know how to program it in advance it's awesome. I have an Aura Spectrum DI which works great too but I like having the options of the VL3 myself. If your creative you can do some cool stuff with it but like anything it can be overused which to me sounds mechanical.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Why not the plain vanilla VL3? If you have the know how to program it in advance it's awesome. I have an Aura Spectrum DI which works great too but I like having the options of the VL3 myself. If your creative you can do some cool stuff with it but like anything it can be overused which to me sounds mechanical.
I thought about the VL3, but said to myself, if I'm considering the VL3, why not just get the VL3X?
Old 01-17-2016, 02:53 PM

I often chose the bigger, more functions unit only to find out it is really something I thought I would use but never did. Just like the Play Acoustic. I use at most 3 presets and use 1, 95% of the time. Just like looping. Use it for practice mainly.

I bought a Digitech unit years ago that had many of the same features. Again ended up,with 3-5 presets that I used. I had fun playing around, but found I never used them live. Often wasted hard to come by practice time goofing around. But could be my skill level is too low to really get the most of it. For me, it's like going to the grocery store hungry.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I often chose the bigger, more functions unit only to find out it is really something I thought I would use but never did. Just like the Play Acoustic. I use at most 3 presets and use 1, 95% of the time. Just like looping. Use it for practice mainly.

I bought a Digitech unit years ago that had many of the same features. Again ended up,with 3-5 presets that I used. I had fun playing around, but found I never used them live. Often wasted hard to come by practice time goofing around. But could be my skill level is too low to really get the most of it. For me, it's like going to the grocery store hungry.
Ha! Sounds like me actually!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:09 PM

I've had Digitech, TC Harmony G, TC VoiceLive (original) and TC VL2 and sold them all.I'm still (like you) looking for a good acoustic guitar multi effects unit (with a small footprint as I use a TC Ditto X2 looper as well, or one with a decent loop length, i.e. a lot more than 40 secs). The vocal harmony stuff is of limited use, it soon gets to feel overdone but I'd like a couple of megaphone fx and a few others to use once or twice in the set.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 PM

I do like my TC Harmony G XT. I've heard demo's of the newer stuff and haven't liked what I heard as much. Nor, the older pedals. The XT has features I still don't use after a couple years with it. I'll do on/off and two presets and that's it really. No bank saves. I find too much complication really ruins the 'in the moment' enjoyment of just playing.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 PM

We're looking at the Play Acoustic just for the harmonizing. Are there other products we should consider? Don't need a looper or anything else - just the harmonies.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
We're looking at the Play Acoustic just for the harmonizing. Are there other products we should consider? Don't need a looper or anything else - just the harmonies.
I've read some like the DigiTech products, while others say that the quality of the harmonies sounds way more artificial than the TC products, but the DIgiTech stuff is less expensive. That's at least what I've gathered while doing research.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:59 PM

Have you taken a look at the comparison page? If not here it is, http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/comparison/. You can pull up the Play Acoustic and the VL3e and compare them. At the start of last year I was in the same position of considering the PlayAcoustic and the VL3. I ultimately decided on the VL3 when the price dropped making way for the VL3 Extreme. For me the more advance looper, the guitar presets, delay effect and the impression that TCH was actively working to improve the VL3 sold me on it. IF the PlayAcoustic would have had delay for the guitar, individual guitar presets and longer looping time I would have probably have went for it. But those limitations I knew were enough to have made me regret my decision. Are there parts of the VL3 that I'll probably never use? Most likely yea, but it's a box that I will keep for a long time.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I've read some like the DigiTech products, while others say that the quality of the harmonies sounds way more artificial than the TC products, but the DIgiTech stuff is less expensive. That's at least what I've gathered while doing research.
My experience was the opposite, I've got one buddy with a TC and another with a VL3 so I got to demo both at gigs. I also had the luxury of being in the audience and hearing both. I went with the VL3 because it sounded more natural. It also has some simple eq and effects for the guitar. Both are great quality and will serve you well.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-17-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post
My experience was the opposite, I've got one buddy with a TC and another with a VL3 so I got to demo both at gigs. I also had the luxury of being in the audience and hearing both. I went with the VL3 because it sounded more natural. It also has some simple eq and effects for the guitar. Both are great quality and will serve you well.
Thats what I meant. The VL3 is a TC product.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 AM

Default TC Helicon Play Acoustic or VoiceLive 3 Extreme?

More power to anyone who can use these units in a live situation. I had a Play Acoustic for a couple of weeks and it brought back memories of trying to build presets with a Line 6 modelling amp only to get to a gig and find volumes and eq all wrong. I went back to simple quality gear(Gibson w/K&K-red eye pre and a delay pedal for guitar & TC Electronic Mic Mechanic into board for vocals). Reverb/compression adjusted at the board(Yamaha MG series). I admit I don't have the time or patience to fiddle with banks and presets and have found that I can get better sound keeping it simple....also less to go wrong at a gig
Old 01-18-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
More power to anyone who can use these units in a live situation. I had a Play Acoustic for a couple of weeks and it brought back memories of trying to build presets with a Line 6 modelling amp only to get to a gig and find volumes and eq all wrong. I went back to simple quality gear(Gibson w/K&K-red eye pre and a delay pedal for guitar & TC Electronic Mic Mechanic into board for vocals). Reverb/compression adjusted at the board(Yamaha MG series). I admit I don't have the time or patience to fiddle with banks and presets and have found that I can get better sound keeping it simple....also less to go wrong at a gig
I guess it's all individual and personal preference. I think having one pedal that has everything I need in it is much more convenient with less to carry and less to go wrong compared to carrying a preamp, delay pedal, separate vocal processor pedal, mixer and speaker(s). If you put the initial time into it setting up your presets it's just a matter or recalling a preset, then you simply just play. Less pieces int he signal chain equal less chance of things to go wrong. I think having my J45 and vocal mic into he TC pedal, then that into the amp is pretty darn streamlined and simple, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I guess it's all individual and personal preference. I think having one pedal that has everything I need in it is much more convenient with less to carry and less to go wrong compared to carrying a preamp, delay pedal, separate vocal processor pedal, mixer and speaker(s). If you put the initial time into it setting up your presets it's just a matter or recalling a preset, then you simply just play. Less pieces int he signal chain equal less chance of things to go wrong. I think having my J45 and vocal mic into he TC pedal, then that into the amp is pretty darn streamlined and simple, but maybe I'm wrong.
That's my take on it too. I'm a recording engineer so programming the VL3 especially with the 3rd party librarian and a laptop is a no brainier. In the same breath I would never recommend the Vl3 to someone who has little or no skills or interest to program it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification